MSI K7T Master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI K7T Master

hello all im new here and was wondering if i could get some help on picking the right replacement caps, the caps on the board are blown and bulging and i have already pulled them, now the caps them selves are 4700uf 6.3v RXA(or HXA) 105'c L027(M), thats all the info i can find about them, they are also radial and the pins go through 2 small holes in the board.

also i cleaned up all the leaked stuff as best as i could, but theres some that is basicly caked on, any ideas on how to get this off or would it be fine to just leave it there? thanks in advance for any help or advice

Re: MSI K7T Master

to clean, go here

are you in the usa/canada?

if so, see topcat about ordeing caps. replace all ones of the bad brand because caps often fail without visible signs. remember, all active forum members get half off cap orders.

if not, post back about that and we'll see what we can do
    Last edited by ratdude747; 07-16-2009, 04:19 PM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
      to clean, go here

are you in the usa/canada?

if so, see topcat about ordeing caps. replace all ones of the bad brand because caps often fail without visible signs. remember, all active forum members get half off cap orders.

if not, post back about that and we'll see what we can do
      im in usa tennessee to be exact will those steps in that post help me get the stuff that leaked from the old caps cause thats all it is but its just really caked on, i will see about taking a pic

Comment

To clean stuff like that, and after soldering, I use isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol/2-propanol) and a cotton tipped swabs (Q-tips). Here in Norway, for a small quantity, the easiest is to buy a small bottle of the stuff you put in the fuel tank of your car to dissolve moisture/water. For hobby use, such a small bottle goes a looong way.
        ------------
        Be a mensch

Comment

go to topcap for caps then. recap and compute on.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

sorry to bring up an old thread but I finally got around to recapping this motherboard and it seems to work but im not getting any video, I dont know if its just the motherboard being fully dead or if I have the wrong cpu for it, was just wondering if anyone could give me some ideas

Comment

What processor do you have in it now ?

Quick Google indicates MSI K7T Master is a KT133 board, as distinct from KT133A

KT133 is only rated for 100mhz FSB, so something like a Duron with Spitfire core (Duron <= 950) would be best for testing
              better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Hello luke9511. I also have a MSI K7T. Mine has an 800 Mhz AMD processor. Sometimes these older computers are cranky about what video card they will accept. This board has a special feature which will help resolve your problem. Between the parallel output port connector and the game port connector you should see four LEDs mounted vertically on the pc board. These LEDs will be either red or green. When you first turn the computer on, they will be all red. While the computer is posting, they will change between red and green until posting is complete. At the end, they will be all green if everything is good.

If the cpu is dead, they will all stay red. If it stops on some red and some green, you can read the code, look in the manual and see what the problem is. For instance, 0101 indicates a video problem. That would be red, green, red, green. If all is well, they will all turn green.

If they all turn green, and you have no video, then your video card does not match the vintage of your computer. In my K7T, I have an old VooDoo 3 with 16 Meg memory, AGP. An antique to some folks, but it sure works great in my K7T.

So tell us what video card you have, and let us know how the LEDs respond during POST testing.
                Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

all leds are green when i start it up, i have a no name pci card a mx400 nvidia card, a 9200 ati or 9500 cant remember and a nother nvidia card that i cant remember the name of. i looked at a list and it said the duron i had was compatible

Comment

ATI 9200/9500 most likely AGP 4x or 8x and not compatible - motherboard that vintage probably supports maximum AGP 2x

The PCI card or an MX400 AGP maybe your best bet for compatibility

Follow Everell's advice
                    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                      ATI 9200/9500 most likely AGP 4x or 8x and not compatible - motherboard that vintage probably supports maximum AGP 2x

The PCI card or an MX400 AGP maybe your best bet for compatibility

Follow Everell's advice
                      i have and the mx400 agp i have does not work thought it works in another motherboard as does the pci card and i even took the video card out all the leds remained green does that mean anything?

Comment

Originally posted by luke9511 View Post
                        i even took the video card out all the leds remained green does that mean anything?
                        Seems like a problem with the board if you get four green LEDs when no video card is installed - incidentally MSI calls those D-LEDs, if you have a manual for the board

Pattern is probably the same as the D-LEDs on my K7N420pro, for which the manual shows both on the left being green and both on the right being red when boot gets to "start writing VGA sign-on message to the screen"

Do you have a speaker connected to the board ? - if you do, and you get no abnormal beeps without a video card installed, indicates the board is not fully functional

Comment

Seems like a problem with the board if you get four green LEDs when no video card is installed - incidentally MSI calls those D-LEDs, if you have a manual for the board

Pattern is probably the same as the D-LEDs on my K7N420pro, for which the manual shows both on the left being green and both on the right being red when boot gets to "start writing VGA sign-on message to the screen"

Do you have a speaker connected to the board ? - if you do, and you get no abnormal beeps without a video card installed, indicates the board is not fully functional
                          it has a built in speaker, i can take pictures and a video of it when i start if that helps never know i may have missed something,

also when i recapped it i thought i lost one of the 1000uf 6.3v caps but remembered i had a spare 1000uf 16v cap from when i did another motherboard and put that in and later i found the 6.3v cap,

would that have anything to do with it since that cap and a few others is kinda close to the cpu?

Comment

See if anyone else wants to make a suggestion

Only other thing I would suggest is to reset CMOS - either by changing a jumper while it's powered off (on my K7N420pro the jumper's labelled JBAT1), or by removing the CR2032 CMOS battery and leaving it out overnight

Comment

See if anyone else wants to make a suggestion

Only other thing I would suggest is to reset CMOS - either by changing a jumper while it's powered off (on my K7N420pro the jumper's labelled JBAT1), or by removing the CR2032 CMOS battery and leaving it out overnight
                              it didnt have a battery to begin with so I had to add one so it should be fully clear

Comment

Did the LEDs come on green and stay green or did you see them blinking red and green as the computer booted, and then ended all green?
                                Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                                  Did the LEDs come on green and stay green or did you see them blinking red and green as the computer booted, and then ended all green?
                                  they come on green and stay green

Comment

When you first push the power-on button, those LEDs should all turn red and then start blinking. Otherwise, your processor is not doing anything.

Sounds like you have a bad processor, a bad bios chip, a solder bridge across one of the capacitors you replaced, or some other problem with the mother board. I also had to replace some bulging capacitors around the processor.

Take the processor out of the motherboard and tell us what is written on the top of it. Do you have a way of testing the processor to make sure it is working?

Also, what model power supply do you have? Sometimes a bad power supply will cause the same symptoms. Do you have a known good working power supply you could put in the computer? My K7T has a Bestec ATX-250 12Z which I recapped.

On the motherboard can you find the model number written on it.....should be MS6330 or MS6340.

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                                      When you first push the power-on button, those LEDs should all turn red and then start blinking. Otherwise, your processor is not doing anything.

Sounds like you have a bad processor, a bad bios chip, a solder bridge across one of the capacitors you replaced, or some other problem with the mother board. I also had to replace some bulging capacitors around the processor.

Take the processor out of the motherboard and tell us what is written on the top of it. Do you have a way of testing the processor to make sure it is working?

Also, what model power supply do you have? Sometimes a bad power supply will cause the same symptoms. Do you have a known good working power supply you could put in the computer? My K7T has a Bestec ATX-250 12Z which I recapped.

On the motherboard can you find the model number written on it.....should be MS6330 or MS6340.
                                      the power supply is from my main core 2 computer it is a antec neo power blu 650 watt power supply the cpu is this one http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD...D700AUT1B.html and it works fine in my k7s5a which also needs new caps i didnt see any solder bridges but its hard to see and i will check again, how hard is it to change the bios chip if its possible of course?

Comment

The bios chip is the small square chip in a socket on the corner of the mother board opposite from the processor. To remove the chip you need to use a small extractor tool. Once you have it out, you can send the chip to a "programmer" who will reload the program. You can find someone to do this for about $5. Go to ebay and search for "bios chip programming". You will not be able to reprogram it on your board because your board is not functional.

It might be cheaper to go to ebay and bid on another K7T motherboard. They are pretty cheap these days. Also you could put an ad on this website, looking for a K7T motherboard.

Comment

Working...
                                        X