Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI 915PL Neo KZG bulging cap

The story:
    So one of the labs at my university was throwing out discontinued equipment, and amongst the stuff were a few computers. One of them was this MSI 915PL Neo motherboard. For me, this motherboard has two firsts: PCIe and Intel 64 on a desktop board. Free from the dumpster! Anyway, I powered it up and it worked! Great! But I realised that just because it POSTed doesn't mean it's stable, so I slapped in a hard drive and installed Windows XP. It randomly restarted during the install and that was my first sign of issues, but I couldnt see any obviously visual capacitor problems. So I got Windows installed, but it would seldom be able to fully boot up. It would get to the loading screen and then just restart every time. When I finally managed to get it into Windows, I ran Prime95 to really give it a test, but after a few hours it was still happily chugging along without any errors! So I had a closer look inside with a flashlight and there it was... In all it's bulging glory!

The problem:
    Just about all the capacitors on this board are Chemi-Con (KZE, KZG, and KZJ). So how many should I replace? I'm tempted to replace them all. Only that one capacitor was bulging, not that a capacitor has to be bulging to be faulty. Also, there are four polymer capacitors around the CPU, they should be fine, right?

What would be your recommendations for a replacement brand? I've seen the good caps thread and I'm leaning towards Rubycon.

The plan:
    -Research the specs of the original caps.
    -Source suitable replacements locally, if possible.
    -Give the board a good wash.
    -Add to my cluster project.

I'm not one to brag, but I've impressed myself with the desoldering skills that I've developed given this is my first recapping expedition . What do you think?

I apologise for the lengthy post, but it's how I do things .

Regards,
    TheSolarShed
    Project CapRep
    Good cap replacement finder
    2354 caps in database so far

Re: MSI 915PL Neo KZG bulging cap

I'd leave the KZEs. They are a reliable series with few failures. The KZG and KZJ are bad series and have a high failure rate so I would replace all of those. Most chemi-cons are good but KZG and KZJ are known to have issues, UCC has since discontinued these series but there are allot of them still out there. As for replacements I would go with Nichicon HM/HN or Rubycon ZLG.

Comment

If you want to be economical, just replace all 3300uF KZG, Rubycon MBZ is an exact replacement and you may find them on other junk boards. KZEs are good as said above. The rest can stay if this is going to be a non-critical computer.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

just change it to rubycon.... i changed mine and its rock solid
        yr solid cap are great, sanyo.... i gt another board which solid caps are fujitsu....

Comment

Working...
        X