This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello, I'm Randy and live in the state of Washington. 60+ years here and can't think of another place I'd rather live. I have been a person that can't seem to throw away something I might be able to fix. My daughter would say to people when she was a little girl, "My Daddy can Fick-It". You see I'd really rather try and fix something, than throw it way. After all, if it doesn't get fixed, I get to see what made it Tick!!!

I have a 60" Pioneer Plasma TV (or monitor) that my friend bought years ago that went Poof one day. After doing a little research, it seems that maybe a CAP went bad on the Power Supply Board. He tells me the picture on this TV is awesome, and he heard a POP and smelled something burning after he turned it on one evening. He powered it up, turned to go sit down in his chair, and he heard the POP and than smelled the burnt plastic odor.
    I checked the fuse and it's good. I'll need to order CAPS and also find a Capacitance meter is reasonable in $. I look forward to learning from others here.

By trade, I'm a painting contractor/painter. I do property management, play pool, ride my motorcycles, snow ski, bitch & Moan, somehow convinced my wife to keep me around, and enjoy doing things Solo. btw, I've got the back off the Plasma TV, and will be ready to order CAPS anytime.
    Thanks for your WEBSITE. Randy Johnson aka: liloldunit

Comment

Hello Badcaps members,

I'm a technician since '97 repairing computers and related eletronics stuff, before i was melting and damaging computers and other things i didn't knew how to work with.
      My first rectangle with keys sort of electronic was a spectrum 48k back in i don't remember, then i got this timex with a floppy drive that loaded a lot faster the games and chucky egg, after that i've passed to my first x86 experience a i386 25MHz with a super 40Mb hard drive taller than current hard drivers, and the CD-ROM i believe it was only 2x read speed. After that i believed i've passed thru almost every generation of consumer and business technologies with some understanding on windowses and linux OSes, i remember as young taking this course with a Mac and some sort of paint, that's the only touch i had with them, nowadays i've worked with some iPads to read the soccer site, even tough my Ubuntu notebook as Cairo installed

Hope we can help each other on this community.

Miguel

Comment

Hello! I will be browsing this wonderful forum and hopefully can get some help with an issue I have on my Samsung TV

Comment

Hello,

My name is Ed Bijman and owner of ProConsoles, and I repair game consoles for about 12 years now. The last year I also started to repair cell phone, tablets and laptops.

I hope to learn a lot by becoming a member of this forum, and eventually contribute by helping other people.

Comment

Greetings from Italy.
            I've a degree in Informatics Engineering but I was always interested also in electronics.
            I found this very useful forum and made my first successfull repair on a lcd monitor.

Comment

Here I am! You can start the party now. I'm a guy who likes to think he knows more than he does about computers and electronics. Hopefully being here will help set me straight

Comment

Hi Everybody!!!

I'm Leandro Prieto! Owner of Brasil Computer, an technical assistance specialized on gaming laptops. Working for 15 years on IT and 3 years on eletronic repair, sucha as motherboards and video cards

Comment

Hello! I am korisnik2007a, and I found this forum because I was down on my luck and my laptop broke down, and no service wanted to fix it, so I had to do it myself. Now - I'm trying for the first time. Hope we get along!

Comment

Hello, My name is Brian. I am a software developer but I have always liked taking stuff apart and learning new things. That is what brought me here. I have repaired several TVs, computers and other various electronics. I had a lot of fun taking them apart and I wanted expand my knowledge.

Comment

I every body, I am a tv repairs Technician from JAMAICA ,I please to be a member of this forum. NATH1

Comment

Hi - AJ here from Sydney. I've been an electronics hobbyist for ages, have recently specialized in making bespoke power supplies for audio equipment such as Squeezebox and DAC's etc. Have made many audio components, and have started to do more repairs. I just repaired a Velodyne sub, symptoms were constant mains hum when switched on, loud bang when switched off. I found the CapXon filter caps had failed, replaced with Rubycon 63v 4700uf, works great. Happy to contribute and learn.

Comment

Am writing from Seattle, having been in the electronics industry for nearly 38 years. Finding this site particularly useful and have a Plasma vertical line issue which I believe can be best addressed by one of the members. Thanks very much for putting this site up !

Comment

Greetings from northern Europe. I've got some history in electronics from my education but basically I've never worked with any - I changed my goals towards mechanical engineering :P

I found my self here in search of info for my broken TV and I find this very intimidating. My mom's telly broke down about a year ago, the same model as mine, and now that my own went bad, I am quite determined to fix it.

Let's see if I can fire up my electronics skills once again

Oh, one more thing: Thanks for great forum!

Comment

I greet all the participants of the forum from Italy, are fond of electronics in general and I know a bit of pc hardware, I hope to learn new things and be useful to someone.

Max

Comment

I am a very old man, working with tube amplifiers in the late 1950, then stumbled into the computer world.

In those days I was reading Radio-Electronics, Popular Electronics and Electronics World every month, very inspiring!

A nowadays even older man showed me bad caps in television sets then, a knowledge helping me to repair a Fisher 800 amplifier in California in 1968 simply by replacing all capacitors made by Wima. The owner was very impressed...

This forum seems to a good one since it working in an analythical way!

Comment

Another old man here, been working electronics since the 50's, Aviation Electronics in the Navy, Western Electric old x-y switch systems to the Electronic Switching Systems, Ham Radio since the 60's, Radio-TV repair etc for a long time also, now just a retired tinkerer in Electronics and Computers and Ham Radio. Glad to find this forum and see some hands on diagnostics.

Comment

TV broke
                                    Hello everyone

Comment

I greet all the participants of the forum from Florida, I work on computers and networks and now exploring component repair for a broken Panasonic TV.

Jeff

Comment

Bruce from Alaska

I had a dual MOS in the Marine Corps as an Electronic Test Equipment Repairman and Calibration Technician in the early to mid 70's (72-76) Now I hobby
                                        KB7RXZ
                                        Semper Fi

Comment

just saying hi - josh

Hi,
                                          I look forward to browsing your forum in an effort to get better at fixing computers and tv's. I've been browsing for years and finally decided to get in on the action

Comment

Working...
                                          X