Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ripped Solder Pad, Bios chip, Macbook Motherboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripped Solder Pad, Bios chip, Macbook Motherboard.

As the title says, I accidentally ripped off the 8th Bios pin solder pad for a Mid-2012 15” Macbook pro. As I did research on how to fix this, i went to scraping at the center of the broken pad. at first i tried to resolder it back so i can make a connection. that failed since the solder didn't stick. so i scraped again. upon the second attempt i accidentally scrapped the middle, completely fraying the copper wire, so i worked my way outwards to expose the outer parts within the broken pad. my next move is to get wire glue to reconnect the circuit and replenish the pad so i can install my new bios chip. BUT, something is holding me back..

I used a multimeter and tested continuity on each side of the broken pads copper exposed wire,

(one connected to ground)
    left side of broken pad i have resistance
    right side of broken pad i have no resistance - as if this is another ground (beeping and reading 0)

from my research the 8th pin is the vcc power supply for the bios chip. I am stuck and don't know if i should go ahead and “wire glue the pad” with the left and right making a circuit. Im afraid it might short.

the laptop motherboard model is 820-3330-B

any thoughts?

Re: Ripped Solder Pad, Bios chip, Macbook Motherboard.

No I think you would better isolate the part of the board you scrapped, and run a jumper wire between the VCC pin and another point connected to the power line from the board. Check which other component/pad is connected to this line using a boardview. Also check for a short between this power line and ground, to make sure you didn't create a short while scraping the board.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Don't scratch at the board. Use the boardview/schematic to find out what the missing pad goes to. It might be to late now from your description.
      Attached Files

Comment

@piernov, I was thinking the same thing also. But not sure how to locate a power line. i tested both sides at once and it same results as the left side.

@diif, I have learned a valuable lesson the hard way. I might just scrap this board.

Comment

When i try to power it on, light comes on for a second and just shuts right off. Not sure if its cause Bios chip isnt getting power or theres a short.

Comment

Locate the BIOS chip on the boardview (you can open it using OpenBoardView), click on the pin you're interested in and it will highlight the other parts' pin connected to the same line. Then check for a short to ground on one of those pins. If it's ok, solder a jumper wire between this pin and your BIOS pin.

Comment

@piernov, does it matter if the lines are red or blue? That seems to confuse me.

Comment

Red points to pads on the same side of the board, blue points to pads on the other side of the board. You want a pad on the same side, pointed by a red line.

Comment

kenny chan , this issue your having sounds bad bios chip , if its the flat soic chip , you need to replace it and reprogram it , and under the ripped pad , simple add bit of kapton to avoid bios to touch the board on that pin , solder a wire on that vcc pin , if you want tell me board code and i send you picture were you need to jumper a wire
                  but first try reflashing bios and see if its still read /wwrite .

Comment

do you happen to have a bios dump for that board?

Comment

Working...
                    X