2 systems with badcaps - PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 systems with badcaps - PLEASE HELP!

I've had 2 systems suffer the same symptoms: power cutting out/shutting down without warning and failure to boot or reach POST, possibly caused by surges during thunderstorms.

I tried rectifying the problem on the older system by buying an upgraded GPU, and a new PSU, neither helped. I finally realised it must be the MB when there was zero activity when switched on. I looked at the MB and saw quite a few domed CAPS. I bought new ones and replaced them but it changed nothing. I was advised that it might be that the new CAPS I bought were not upto the job. It could be that more need replacing that do not show obvious visible signs of damage.

But as I have a new system that I don't wanna lose, I figured I would ask you guys for help. So I've tried to find which CAPS have gone bad and here are the details:

On the older system: G-Luxon 6.3v 3300uF 105c
    On the newer system: RLX 0851 6.3v 1000uF 105c

I hope you guys can help suggest the proper replacement CAPS as I've already spent ££'s on a soldering iron, CAPS etc but a few more ££'s to get 2 PCs up & running would be amazing!

If you need any more info please jus ask!
    Thanks for reading

Re: 2 systems with badcaps - PLEASE HELP!

Not sure what you are asking - this site sells caps for motherboards badcaps.net so if you look on there you can see what make of caps are sold . For a small number of caps the postage from US will be relatively high so having found the make& series look on Farnell or RS electronics or cpc and see if they have them. You do not need to find the same make. It is usual to replace any caps of the same make that are on the board as if some of gone bad others are likely to follow and may have gone bad with no visible signs.

Are you sure the problem is on the motherboard or could it be the power supply?
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I was told to register here and enter the make of the bad CAPS and ask if someone could suggest some specific replacements so i could fix my systems. The CAPS I bought are GP, General Purpose.

The PSU is brand new.

This is the "Identifying Bad Capacitors and Related Symptoms" forum, so I figured this would be the place to ask

Thanx

Comment

Please post pictures of the caps you want to replace and state the physical size and the distance between the legs
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Can you tell us what motherboards these systems have (also what PSU)? Sometimes tiny capacitors might be okay, other times you should replace every single capacitor. People on this board have personal experience with a wide variety of boards. Do let us know more, and we'll try to help.

Also, general purpose caps won't work. They should be the "low-ESR" type.
          Last edited by Hondaman; 09-04-2012, 04:43 AM. Reason: added the part about the PSU

Comment

For the 3300uF G-Luxons, use https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=142
            For the 1000uF OST RLX, use https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=131

But as others have been saying, you should also replace any known unreliable brand/series caps.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Old system has a K7S5a Pro with AMD XP2400 (2.2GHz) CPU

The newer system is an Acer Veriton M464 system, E7300 chipset, it was tricky to find out online what the actual make/model was but looking at the MB the numbers I got are
              N1996
              (WQ79 4659)
              MMCP730.IO.RM.MSI LF
              Socket LGA 775/ T

Comment

I've attached 2 pictures of the bad caps in the newer system
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X