Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSI K7T Master

Originally posted by everell View Post
    The bios chip is the small square chip in a socket on the corner of the mother board opposite from the processor. To remove the chip you need to use a small extractor tool. Once you have it out, you can send the chip to a "programmer" who will reload the program. You can find someone to do this for about $5. Go to ebay and search for "bios chip programming". You will not be able to reprogram it on your board because your board is not functional.

It might be cheaper to go to ebay and bid on another K7T motherboard. They are pretty cheap these days. Also you could put an ad on this website, looking for a K7T motherboard.
    would this work http://cgi.ebay.com/BIOS-Chip-MSI-74...item587dd4660f

Comment

Originally posted by luke9511 View Post
      That looks like it. Just be sure that the model number is correct......there are several different versions of the K7T. Mine is the K7T Pro MS6330. Yours is different.

Look around a little more on ebay. Some of those bios chips sell for about $5. The chip is just a programmable eprom. Then the programmer puts the bios program in it for the particular mother board you have. If you can find a cheaper bios chip, ask the seller if he can program it for your mother board.
      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

they come on green and stay green
        it didnt have a battery to begin with so I had to add one so it should be fully clear
        Sounds like you got it with unknown history - has it ever worked properly, or had D-LEDs blink red & green during boot, while in your possession ?

If you don't know that it works, you're likely to be throwing more good money after bad

One possibility is a previous owner flashing it with the wrong BIOS - easy to do with an MSI board, with their mixed model names

If that's the case, unless you get a replacement BIOS chip loaded with the correct firmware, you're going to be no better off

Don't expect the BIOS replacement chip vendor to magically know exactly which board you have

Everell's already said his board is a MS-6330 - if you've quoted the model name accurately, I guess your board is a MS-6347

All the MSI boards I've seen have a part number printed along the edge of the board, behind the keyboard/mouse connector block

That part number indicates model & version numbers - for example, my K7N420pro, also called MS-6373, has 1637310A printed along its edge
        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

I have been reading and everything and thought about maybe trying to hotflash the bios to see if that would fix it, but what other motherboard could I use to do this I have a k7s5a and a few others that might work but im not sure just need a little more info

Comment

Might work with a board having a non-Intel chipset, and a PLCC BIOS chip

PLCC = a small chip, about half-inch square

Boards with Intel chipset probably have PLCC FWH BIOS chip, which are incompatible with PLCC JEDEC BIOS chip used by K7T
            better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
              Might work with a board having a non-Intel chipset, and a PLCC BIOS chip

PLCC = a small chip, about half-inch square

Boards with Intel chipset probably have PLCC FWH BIOS chip, which are incompatible with PLCC JEDEC BIOS chip used by K7T
              most of the board I have are amd and the ones that are intel take slot PII or PIII

Comment

most of the board I have are amd and the ones that are intel take slot PII or PIII
                The AMD ones might work, if they are similar vintage to your K7T

Later AMD ones might not work, because they probably have non-compatible PLCC LPC BIOS chips

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                  The AMD ones might work, if they are similar vintage to your K7T

Later AMD ones might not work, because they probably have non-compatible PLCC LPC BIOS chips
                  well I tried a kt748 and everything looked like it was going fine but then something happend and the computer shutdown and now I have a bricked motherboard that wont boot I have a few others I can try

Comment

As I said, if they are similar vintage

If below is KT748 you tried, that's a much later model, and may well be incompatible

Tip: Look at its specifications first, if it says something about LPC bus, or LPC anything for that matter, most likely incompatible

Also, which flashing software are you using ? - if trying to cross-flash a BIOS on other than its original board, best bet is probably UNIFLASH, run in pure DOS environment, using command line switch -EXPERT, and choosing option Flash Including Boot Block from its menu

And why break a late model board, trying to rescue an early model one ???

SPECIFICATIONS
                    Processor Athlon (Thunderbird core) processor up to 1400+ / Athlon XP (Palomino, Thoroughbred and Barton cores) 3200+ and up* / AMD DuronTM processor up to 1.3 GHz / 200/266/333/ 400 MHz FSB
                    Chipset SiS 748 / SiS 963/963L
                    Memory 3 DIMM slot / Support DDR 266/333/400 DDR SDRAM / SPD support / Non ECC support / Max. Cap. 3GB total
                    Video 1 x AGP 8X slot
                    Audio AC' 97 codec 5.1 Channel / Realtek ALC655
                    Onboard Lan Realtek 10/100/ Gb LAN (optional)
                    Expand Slots 1 x AGP 8X slot / 5 x PCI
                    Onboard IO 1 Parallel Port / 2 PS2 Connectors / 2 x COM port / 1 (1 x RJ45 + 2 x USB 2.0) / 1 x Audio connectors : Mic-In, Line-In, Line-Out / 1 x (2 x USB 2.0)
                    Onboard IDE 2 x IDE Connectors Support Ultra DMA ATA 66/100/133
                    System Bios ACPI, APM, DMI, SMBIOS, PnP, USB, PC99, PC2001, Y2K Compliant
                    USB 2.0 Total 8 USB2.0 ports
                    IEEE 1394 VIA 6307 2ports
                    Form Factor ATX 12"x 8.8"
                    Serial ATA VIA8237, 2 ports (RAID 0,1,0+1)

Comment

Working...
                    X