ATi Radeon 9600 AGP missing capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATi Radeon 9600 AGP missing capacitor

Hello, I am in need of the value of a "missing" SMD capacitor on an ati radeon 9600 AGP 128MB made by club3D.
    The capacitor is labeled C595.
    You'll find pictures in the attachments.
    Thanks, for any info and advice... and yes, I fucked up while taking the heatsink off
    Attached Files
    Last edited by reaper57; 11-25-2015, 12:43 PM.
    Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...

Re: ATi Radeon 9600 AGP missing capacitor

most likely .1uf
    it looks like it's across the power.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      most likely .1uf
      it looks like it's across the power.
      Could be, the two on it's left are 165nF.

Comment

it looks like its just an smd mlcc used for emi/noise supression. these caps are usually non-critical to the running of the video card. it just makes the video card cause less interference to tv/radio signals. they usually have an overkill of these emi/noise supression smd caps on pc boards so one less is not going to make the video card, computer or any other nearby appliance blow up or anything.

i had a second hand 9800 pro video card that had a cracked smd mlcc behind the molex connector that was causing a short. (read on wikipedia that when mlccs go bad, they typically go short) it tripped the short circuit protection of the psu on a power on. busted out my soldering iron and pulled the cracked smd mlcc off, put it back in and it powers on and works flawlessly again. i am typing this on the 9800 pro machine. been running it for several months without the smd mlcc and never experienced any problems.

u can still replace it tho, if u are anal about having a pristine video card. also, try to get those plastic or rubber tip covers or cushions for your needle nose pliers. those are useful to prevent "accidents" from screwing up components on your pc boards.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
          it looks like its just an smd mlcc used for emi/noise supression. these caps are usually non-critical to the running of the video card. it just makes the video card cause less interference to tv/radio signals. they usually have an overkill of these emi/noise supression smd caps on pc boards so one less is not going to make the video card, computer or any other nearby appliance blow up or anything.

i had a second hand 9800 pro video card that had a cracked smd mlcc behind the molex connector that was causing a short. (read on wikipedia that when mlccs go bad, they typically go short) it tripped the short circuit protection of the psu on a power on. busted out my soldering iron and pulled the cracked smd mlcc off, put it back in and it powers on and works flawlessly again. i am typing this on the 9800 pro machine. been running it for several months without the smd mlcc and never experienced any problems.

u can still replace it tho, if u are anal about having a pristine video card. also, try to get those plastic or rubber tip covers or cushions for your needle nose pliers. those are useful to prevent "accidents" from screwing up components on your pc boards.
          Thanks, for the information and advice!
          About how I broke it off. I usually use tweezers, but the one on my desk were too big and the smaller ones weer like 1-2 meters away, but I was being lazy and got this pry tool, that's normally used for opening phones and tablets. And probably the most shitty part was that I had already replaced the thermal paste... but had forgotten about it

Comment

Btw, I just realized that every other ram chip on the card has that capacitor. What I'll do is desolder one of them tomorrow and check it's value!

Comment

it looks like its just an smd mlcc used for emi/noise supression. these caps are usually non-critical to the running of the video card.
              +1
              Especially if those caps are near a RAM chip or on the reverse side of the GPU.

Of course, not all MLCCs are non-critical, though. Some are used in the charge-pumps of the VRM controller for the RAM and/or GPU. Get that one knocked off, and the card won't run for sure.

But in the O/P's particular case, that ceramic cap looks like it's just extra filtering for the RAM chip next to it. So it should work without it no problem.

Comment

Working...
              X