Swapping CCFL bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping CCFL bulbs

I have one widescreen monitor and one widescreen tv/monitor. Both are 19" The tv has a cracked screen and the monitor has the pink glow.

Heres the stinker.....
    The tv only has 2 bulbs whereas the monitor has 4. Could the monitor work with 2 bulbs though its designed for 4?

I'm just curious and i don't want to tear into it and then it be a big waste of time. Wanting to do this the freebie route since both devices were throw aways.

Thanks

Re: Swapping CCFL bulbs

Originally posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I have one widescreen monitor and one widescreen tv/monitor. Both are 19" The tv has a cracked screen and the monitor has the pink glow.

Heres the stinker.....
    The tv only has 2 bulbs whereas the monitor has 4. Could the monitor work with 2 bulbs though its designed for 4?

I'm just curious and i don't want to tear into it and then it be a big waste of time. Wanting to do this the freebie route since both devices were throw aways.

Thanks
    It depends. Some modification of the inverter circuitry may be necessary. The modification may not even be possible in some cases. And it depends on how clever you are. Pictures of the inverter will give some idea of your chances for success.
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
      It depends. Some modification of the inverter circuitry may be necessary. The modification may not even be possible in some cases. And it depends on how clever you are. Pictures of the inverter will give some idea of your chances for success.
      Here is a picture of the inverter side. Let me know if you need a shot of the power supply side.

Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bill View Post
        Here is a picture of the inverter side. Let me know if you need a shot of the power supply side.

Thanks
        This tells me enough to lead me to believe it's not going to work. The design uses a single secondary on each transformer. The CCFLs are in series with the current sense components tied to ground. I'm assuming the TV CCFLs are a larger diameter to give more area to glow. The monitor uses a higher output voltage so the current can be lower. The TV used a lower output voltage and higher current. I can't see any reasonable way to get them to work together.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I just went ahead and ordered the 4 ccfl kit from ccfl warehouse. I've never soldered the bulbs but atleast i can say i attempted it.

Thanks

Comment

I re-tubed a 32 inch LCD, what a pain. It had 10 bulbs, lucky I only broke one taking them out, and none putting them in. Make sure you get the right diameter, I could only find one size and it was just barely smaller than the original, still fit in the clips, but on an all white screen you can see lighter and darker bands. Who knows what it's doing to the inverter too. Not to mention taking apart the panel...I doubt I would ever do that again.

Comment

Working...
            X