Windows FLP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows FLP

I'm trying to restore a decrepit Gateway Solo 2150.

Specs:
    Celeron Mendocino 433MHZ
    160MB SDRAM, PC100 (maxed out)
    ATI Rage graphics

I tried XP SP3 on it but that ran like a Yugo towing a 5th wheel.

I also tried W2k but wireless issues with my cards ran me in. For some reason Linksh!t's utility wouldn't let me do WPA2, nor would Broadcom's utility. However, under XP, running linksh!t's driver straight via "zero" ran wpa2 just fine.

It seems like Windows FLP may be the safest bet.

Questions:

1. Is the "zero" utility part of windows FLP? Or Is just as big of a fail as W2K?
    2. How does one acquire Windows FLP? I think it might have been a VLK only release.

Normally I'd linux it but the hotkeys don't play well with linux. Also, I have yet to find a linux GUI for older systems that I actually like (I've tried a bunch).
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Windows FLP

I don't know if you're gonna have much luck with that. Does the board support P3's? That would help. I had the 533MHz version of that Celeron and nothing higher than Windows 98 SE would run smooth on it, and that was with 128MB RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
      I don't know if you're gonna have much luck with that. Does the board support P3's? That would help. I had the 533MHz version of that Celeron and nothing higher than Windows 98 SE would run smooth on it, and that was with 128MB RAM.
      It ran win2k just fine. Keep in mind that is a laptop with an (IIRC) BGA cpu.
      sigpic

Comment

I looked into WinFLP but just like vanilla XP support for it ends in April 2014

You might be interested in Windows Embedded POSReady 2009
        It comes with support until April 2019...
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Have you thought of using Nlite on your Windows XP install cd?
          http://www.nliteos.com/
          Just take out what you don't need from the cd (services, apps, random files, etc) repack it and install. I've used it on a couple computers, but none were as slow as yours. Its worth a shot

Comment

Originally posted by moddolicous View Post
            Have you thought of using Nlite on your Windows XP install cd?
            http://www.nliteos.com/
            Just take out what you don't need from the cd (services, apps, random files, etc) repack it and install. I've used it on a couple computers, but none were as slow as yours. Its worth a shot
            I've thought of that... My install .iso actually was nlited (Sp0 Pro disc + Sp3 + 3ware 9500 driver, for use with pre-sp2 OEM COA's). It didn't sound too appealings since I wasn't sure what to chop.

Oh, and the fact FLP is losing support: Does the fact that I tried W2k say anything?

I'll look into the POS2009.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              Oh, and the fact FLP is losing support: Does the fact that I tried W2k say anything?

Yea I know, but it was very hard to find a source for FLP
              Since Posready2009 is still for sale you can even find the evaluation ISO on MS website...
              http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=11196
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                Yea I know, but it was very hard to find a source for FLP
                Since Posready2009 is still for sale you can even find the evaluation ISO on MS website...
                http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=11196
                I'll think about it. What "traditional windows" drivers does it take?
                sigpic

Comment

Think of it as Windows XP SP3, because that is pretty much what it is with some minor tweaks
                  They took the installer that Vista & Win7 uses, so no text mode setup.
                  I wrote more about it on MDL if you follow the link in the thread "I need Windows 8" that I linked above

Comment

I've thought of that... My install .iso actually was nlited (Sp0 Pro disc + Sp3 + 3ware 9500 driver, for use with pre-sp2 OEM COA's). It didn't sound too appealings since I wasn't sure what to chop.

Its really not that bad. There are a couple things that you don't need that are pretty straight forward (foreign languages, random weird drivers, etc). You could easily slim it down a couple hundred mbs. As far as deleting unnecessary services, there are a couple websites that give explanations of what the services accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                      Think of it as Windows XP SP3, because that is pretty much what it is with some minor tweaks
                      They took the installer that Vista & Win7 uses, so no text mode setup.
                      I wrote more about it on MDL if you follow the link in the thread "I need Windows 8" that I linked above
                      Oh I read the link. If it works, I'll try to find a way around the pesky 120 day eval window.
                      sigpic

Comment

I tried XP SP3 on it but that ran like a Yugo towing a 5th wheel.

I fixed it:

I tried XP SP3 on it but that ran like a Metro towing a riding lawnmower.

ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Question: On POS2009 What's the login name? Administrator? The registered person's name? Something else I forgot I entered?
                          sigpic

Comment

It's "Administrator" and the password you entered during install

Comment

Thanks!

Runs well... My only complaint is the lack of games (like minesweeper, solitare, freecell, pinball). Being an embedded OS I understand why they got chopped...
                              sigpic

Comment

i didnt thing anyone played those anymore.
                                some of my regulars play the solitair still.
                                Thanks!

Runs well... My only complaint is the lack of games (like minesweeper, solitare, freecell, pinball). Being an embedded OS I understand why they got chopped...

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                  i didnt thing anyone played those anymore.
                                  some of my regulars play the solitair still.
                                  Under Xp, oh yeah!

Frequent player over here.

---

Posting this from that laptop. It seems the Lack of RAM is the bottle neck. Runs decently... better than I thought it would.

My dad's Thinkpad T22 would run well on this as well. It's a pIII 900mhz, 512mb RAM. It has sucko s3 graphics though...

Curious, In what format does MS license this? If I could get like a 3 installs pack for not too much $ the house would be set (two laptops + one of my old desktops)
                                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                    I fixed it:

I tried XP SP3 on it but that ran like a Metro towing a riding lawnmower.

For perspective:

I tried towing a 20' camper with my TWO CYLINDER Trabant back when it had one melted piston and it ran like Windows ANYTHING!
                                    The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

160MB SDRAM, PC100 (maxed out)
                                      Is that really the maximum? My Solo 2500 supports 288MB.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                        Is that really the maximum? My Solo 2500 supports 288MB.
                                        Yeah. 32MB internal plus a 128MB expansion SDRAM.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X