UMPC present advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UMPC present advice

My mum wants a UMPC, one like what her friends have. Yes she has an ipad mini too, but the UMPC caught her eye cause it was a real computer (as in it ran XP). Upon closer inspection, it's a HTC Shift X9500. Looks like a really nice device and it fits into her purse too!
    They're about 3 years old now but I was able to track some being sold on ebay. $250 brand new. But I spotted a faulty one for $120 delivered from the UK which doesnt make any sound. Would this be an easy fix or something to steer clear of?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/vi...id=30529197034

I just want to get one for her as a present, so if I can save a bit here and there, it'll all work out... thats if I an fix the soud issue? Would this more likely be hardware or software?
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: UMPC present advice

Never handled one of them before.

Sometimes its an easy fix, the first thing that came to mind is a driver issue.

I once got a faulty acer one netbook off ebay for £30, the fault was that the touchpad wouldnt work.

I received it, pressed the fn+F4 hotkey (One of the F keys anyway) for turning the touchpad on and off and it worked fine?
    Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

faulty track pad doesnt bother me.
      My Computer.
      AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
      Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
      Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
      500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
      1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
      2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Originally posted by Phaihn View Post
        faulty track pad doesnt bother me.
        This one has faulty sound though. Whats the worse that could cause no sound? A faulty pre amp?
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
          Whats the worse that could cause no sound?
          Bad audio controller (a high speed DAC essentially).
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
          X