Samsung 216BW SyncMaster Monitor. Cap replacement didn't fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 216BW SyncMaster Monitor. Cap replacement didn't fix

This computer monitor would turn on (very dim a loud buzzing), then go black after a couple of seconds. It had to be power cycled several times until it would finally stay illuminated. The blue power light would stay lit when the monitor would go black.

I went ahead and replaced all of the main capacitors and it still doesn't work. However, the problem seems to be different than before because now it turns on for about 30 seconds, then completely shuts off and won't turn back on until I remove power, disassemble, then reassemble it. The picture looks great for the time that it's lit up. I'm at a loss now. I'm fairly certain I used compatible replacements, but I've included the package labels for anyone to help me out and verify.

The first 4 pictures are from before the replacement. (One of the caps is just loosely positioned in place which is why it's off center). The rest of the pictures are from after the replacement. Maybe you can see something wrong that I can't. Thanks for any comments and suggestions you may have.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Downward_Spiral; 07-17-2012, 07:14 PM.

Re: Samsung 216BW SyncMaster Monitor. Cap replacement didn't fix

It's a shame you bought lelon caps along with panasonic FR series. Was there no stock at mouser to get panasonic fm, fc, or fr for the 22uf & 47uf caps? Will you post exactly the make and series caps you bought. From your photos it looks like all the caps that were in the board originally were capxon GL series. I can see one lelon cap that is a SG series. If i'm looking at the lelon datasheet right the SG series would be considered a general purpose cap because its not showing a maximum impedance table. The ripple rurrent is lower on the lelon SG cap than the original capxon GL cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bill View Post
      It's a shame you bought lelon caps along with panasonic FR series.
      1) +1 re the Lelon.

2) Check your soldering.

3) Post clear focused top down pictures of all your boards following my sig file below exactly. We want the picture compositions like so

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 07-17-2012, 10:36 PM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

My method of selecting caps was just getting ones in the mid price point that were low ESR and high temp. I didn't know Lelon were no good until too late. I'll post more information tomorrow. I just noticed the reply before bed. Thanks for all your help. I hope this picture is better. I was having a hard time getting the right lighting for this.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Downward_Spiral View Post
          My method of selecting caps was just getting ones in the mid price point that were low ESR and high temp.
          The difference in price between crap (Lelon) and the best caps in the world might be 25 cents each.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I found you guys a couple hours too late. I will remember that in the future. I just noticed that picture is still blurry. I'll take some better ones after work.

Originally posted by Mr Bill View Post
            If i'm looking at the lelon datasheet right the SG series would be considered a general purpose cap because its not showing a maximum impedance table. The ripple rurrent is lower on the lelon SG cap than the original capxon GL cap.
            Do you think I should replace just the SG or all of the Lelon? Thanks

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            1) +1 re the Lelon.
            I'm not sure what that means.
            Last edited by Downward_Spiral; 07-18-2012, 12:13 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure what that means.
              +1 means that I agree with Mr Bill's comment about the quality of Lelon caps.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi - I am not sure which are the first four pictures but in pic 268 the leg of the cap looks broken? but it looks ok (if a bit leggy) in a later pic?
                I attach a pic can you check the joint marked - doesnt look great.
                As retired caps says straight on pics of top and bottom of the board would help also check soldering and polarity of caps.
                New Lelon caps should be ok for now but if you get it up and running then consider replacement so you dont have it all to do again in a month or so. Suggest you read retiredcaps guide on 2 seconds to black start at post 19.
                Do you have any spare ccfls or an old panel or even a new one you could use to test the bulbs.
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419
                Attached Files
                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

picture 268 shows a cap that had very close-together, long leads that branch out about half a cap's height at the bottom. I thought that was weird as well because it wasn't like that in the catalog. I figured since it has the same specs that I'd just give it a shot anyways. I am confident it's installed correctly, though. The joint you pointed out was factory; I'll take a better look at it. Thanks!
                  Last edited by Downward_Spiral; 07-18-2012, 06:24 AM.

Comment

I took a few more pictures. I'll post the exact capacitor statistics once I get to work.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Mouser #: 647-UPZ2W101MHD
                      Mfr. #: UPZ2W101MHD
                      Desc.: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 450volts 100uF 18X35.5 20%
                      1 $4.86 $4.86 1 Shipped Jul 13, 2012

Mouser #: 667-EEU-FR1E331B
                      Mfr. #: EEU-FR1E331B
                      Desc.: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 25VDC 330uF 8x11mm LS 5.0mm
                      1 $0.22 $0.22 1 Shipped Jul 13, 2012

Mouser #: 140-SG2R2M1H0407P
                      Mfr. #: SG2R2M1HBK-0407P
                      Desc.: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 50V 2.2uF 105C 4x7mm
                      1 $0.36 $0.36 1 Shipped Jul 13, 2012

Mouser #: 140-RXJ470M1HBK0611P
                      Mfr. #: RXJ470M1HBK-0611P
                      Desc.: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 50V 47uF 105C 6.3X11 mm
                      1 $0.52 $0.52 1 Shipped Jul 13, 2012

Mouser #: 140-RXJ220M1HBK0611P
                      Mfr. #: RXJ220M1HBK-0611P
                      Desc.: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 50V 22uF 105C 6.3X11 mm
                      1 $0.33 $0.33 1 Shipped Jul 13, 2012

Mouser #: 667-EEU-FR1E821B
                      Mfr. #: EEU-FR1E821B
                      Desc.: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 25VDC 820uF 10x20mm LS 5.0mm
                      5 $0.44 $2.20 5 Shipped Jul 13, 2012
                      Attached Files

Comment

Joint doesnt look as bad in this pic - but you should check all the factory joints.
                        You didnt say regarding the spare ccfls/monitor
                        I would still like a single picture of the top of the board and the bottom in the same
                        orientation I can get a feel for the layout.
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Oh, sorry. I do not have a spare ccfl close to the size of this one that I can use. I've got an old 17" Dell LCD...

If it was the ccfl, wouldn't the power still stay on to the monitor when it goes dark?
                          Last edited by Downward_Spiral; 07-18-2012, 07:33 AM.

Comment

It may depend on the problem. Often if it it is the backlight or its transformer that is the problem then the power led does stay on and sometimes a faint image can still be seen on screen. Shining a flashlight on it sometimes helps to see the image.
                            Any working ccfl will do - is the 17dell working - I am only thinking ahead and asking what you have available in case it can help.For example If the 17dell is working it may be enough to power up the ccfls in the 216 and if they stayed lit it would illiminate them as a problem.
                            Just re read your opening post and your saying it shuts off totally? I dont think I have come across that before. Especially having to dismantle it to get it back on.
                            Are you putting it all back in the case to try it?

Two things to check - is it possible to set it up in pieces eveything connected but not in the case . boards can be kept apart using sheets of cardboard. I am wondering if one of the legs on a new cap is a bit long and is touching the frame.
                            Second is the on off switch on a cable and is it being trapped or has it become damaged?

Comment

Correct. The monitor now comes on for about 30 seconds and then shuts off completely and won't turn back on. It seems to turn on only the first time after reassembly, like it's resetting somehow when I take it apart. This has happened twice. I have not powered on the monitor without being fully reassembled. I've completely put it back together every time before connecting power to it. The backlight shines brightly for the time it stays lit and the picture looks great. I will make sure none of the components are touching the metal housing, but I don't think they are as they are the same height as the previous ones. I will inspect the on/off cable when I get home. I doubt there is any image being displayed, even faintly since the power light isn't on after shutting down. I will check that as well though just to make sure.

The 17" Dell LCD works. It's just very old and has nonadjustable, crappy backlighting.
                              Last edited by Downward_Spiral; 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

The monitor now comes on for about 30 seconds and then shuts off completely and won't turn back on.

I doubt there is any image being displayed, even faintly since the power light isn't on after shutting down.
                                Take it apart, leave it apart. Power on and see if it goes off after 30 seconds. If yes, get your multimeter out and there is voltage on the main board (still waiting pictures of all your boards in my preferred format as in post #3 - I don't ask a 3rd time ever).
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I've been at work this whole time. I will get you the pictures when I get off.

Comment

first 2 - with flash
                                    last 2 - without flash
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Downward_Spiral; 07-18-2012, 03:37 PM. Reason: wrong picture

Comment

And the main board? The one where you plug the VGA, DVI cables into?
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

here you go!
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X