Capacitors in CFL's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitors in CFL's

Just now I was reading-up on light bulbs in general, CFL's in particular and wondering if it would be worth it to replace all the bulbs in the house with CFL's. Wikipedia says the energy savings and life expectancy is better:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

A compact fluorescent lamp (CFL), also called compact fluorescent light, energy-saving light, and compact fluorescent tube, is a fluorescent lamp designed to replace an incandescent lamp; some types fit into light fixtures formerly used for incandescent lamps. The lamps use a tube which is curved or folded to fit into the space of an incandescent bulb, and a compact electronic ballast in the base of the lamp.

Compared to general-service incandescent lamps giving the same amount of visible light, CFLs use one-fifth to one-third the electric power, and last eight to fifteen times longer. A CFL has a higher purchase price than an incandescent lamp, but can save over five times its purchase price in electricity costs over the lamp's lifetime.[1] Like all fluorescent lamps, CFLs contain toxic mercury[2] which complicates their disposal. In many countries, governments have established recycling schemes for CFLs and glass generally.
    Sounds good, I thought. But then I thought about Obama, the Democrats, the Leftists in general and the level of bull-headed pressure they use to get people to do what doesn't come naturally. Remember Jimmy Carter and sweaters? I froze my ass off that winter, and I've hated Jimmy Carter ever since. I was 12 then.

Anyways, the suspicious misgivings were confirmed when I saw this picture:

Note, there's CAPACITORS in that there E-lectronic gizmo.

"eight to fifteen times longer", eh? Not if there's cheap-shit capacitors in there, Mr. OBAMA, you motherfucker. Assuming the average life expectancy of an incandescent bulb is more than a year, I very much doubt that Obama is going to be around in 8 to 15 years to be held accountable for his bullshit lies about the wonders of "not incandescent" lighting.

So anyways, I stewed in my natural juices over this for a few minutes, and then suddenly realized I knew of a place that was populated by a bunch of people that knew ALL about bad capacitors, and so I thought I would throw this piece of raw meat at them and see what they did with it.

CFL's, yes or no? Is there any reason to believe that the lessons of the past have been learned, and that big capacitor in there is a good-quality cap that will last at least 8 years? I just paid $10.00 at Home Depot today for 4 - 100 watt CFL's. There's probably another 25 bulbs in the house, so that's another $75.00 or so.
    Last edited by TractorGear; 03-17-2015, 12:17 AM.

Re: Capacitors in CFL's

they take time to warm up, and they arent sealed to keep out moisture.
    so they are o.k. in places where they stay on like hallways etc, but not in toilets & bathrooms.

life expectancy is exagerated, and switching cycles matter - if you leave it on 24/7 it will last far longer than regular switching.

keep an eye on led bulbs from philips and cree.
    they are much better, but still a bit expensive.
    keep an eye here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Fixed-Lighting
    Last edited by stj; 03-17-2015, 12:27 AM.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld3fioUqKQI
      lol

Comment

Reports from defrauded consumers (including myself) clearly show that using substandard energy saving lamps can cost you money.
        Why waste your money on energy saving lamps which don’t last as claimed?
        To avoid this kind of a problem, insist on energy saving lamps with a warranty, ideally not requiring proof of purchase.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
          insist on energy saving lamps with a warranty,
          so that pretty much narrows it down to philips then!

Comment

So thus far I'm gathering that there are inherent flaws with the whole technology and nothing particularly centered on the capacitor(s). Any specific recommendations? From what I've read, LED's are favored but the cost is beyond what is reasonable for most households.

Comment

well with cfl's they are flourescent tubes with all the problems that go with it.
              such as not wanting to start if they are really cold - so no outdoor use if you have sub-zero weather.
              and as you spotted, there is a cap that dies because the tube runs hot.
              also, on cheap cfl's the heaters fail in the tube a lot if you switch them on and off often.

now as for led's
              they have a cap, but dont seem to kill it like cfl's
              and they love cold weather as long as the cap can take it.
              they are instant full-brightness with no warmup problems.

but yes, they cost more.
              keep an eye on the reviews and teardowns on that form i linked - specially products rfom cree,philips and osram who seem to be the 3 leaders at the moment.

Comment

The fluorescent bulbs don't die because of electrolytic capacitors, the high voltage capacitors die first.
                More expensive bulbs are better designed and last longer but even cheaper bulbs, if you turn them on and leave them running for long time, they'll last.

Here's a link that shows several cfl bulb designs and it shows the mains points of failure: http://www.pavouk.org/hw/lamp/en_index.html
                Electrolytic capacitors are rarely causing problems like I said.

As for LED bulbs, the electrolytic capacitors are subjected to some heat during the operation but a well designed bulb spreads the heat throughout the whole bulb case, and they use a lot of that caulking (or whatever) material to spread the heat from the bulb current controller to the case.
                A good high power led bulb (talking 6w-15w) will generally keep everything inside at about 60-80c so with 105-125c rated capacitors, they would still run fine for thousands of hours of continuous operation.

If you want to see led bulbs review, there's a youtube channel called electronupdate which dissects and reviews lots of led bulbs.
                There's a higher chance one of the leds in the circuit will die before capacitors become a problem.

Comment

The price of l.e.d. bulbs has come down a lot . I remember seeing a 3 pack of 40 watt bulbs at the local costco for like $12 . They were a bit different than the ones on there web page . I dont know how they stand up to humidity , its not a problem around hear .
                  http://www.costco.com/Feit-A-Lamp-LE...100028845.html

Comment

for u.s. residents, Home Depot seems to be the prefered place on candlepower forums - they have exclusive distribution for cree.

Comment

costco lamp

Comment

I bought that one from Costco when it had PG&E discount (price after discount was 12.99), it lasted only 2 years, took it back to COSTCO and got my money back (it has 3 years warranty).
                        Low heat bs! The heatsink was too hot to touch.
                        Last edited by budm; 03-18-2015, 09:36 AM.
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

bargain!

Comment

I bought the 60W (3 per pack for $10.99 after PG&E rebate) version of this one
                            http://www.costco.com/Feit-Omni-Dire...100028844.html
                            Will see how long it will last, @ a little over $3 a piece is worth trying it out.
                            Too bad COSTCO is not selling CREE or PHILIPS.
                            Last edited by budm; 03-18-2015, 09:43 AM.
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              for u.s. residents, Home Depot seems to be the prefered place on candlepower forums - they have exclusive distribution for cree.
                              Home Depot runs the Cree 60W LED bulbs on special quite often. I hate CFLs. I love LEDs. CFLs are expensive and don't last as long as incandescents, in my experience. LEDs are the future. I have four 60 watt LEDs in a ceiling fixture in my shop. Try that with incandescents. CFLs don't fit.

Comment

I've used a whole bunch of CFLs for many years and recently got LED lamps.

For the most part, I've had many, many "good" CFLs last their expected lifetimes. The "cheap crap" I've had die pretty much right away (but since they were actually "cheap" it wasn't a big deal). However you do have to notice that the bulbs, even if they last half their lifetimes, will start saving you money on electricity well before that point compared to incandescent. It's even better when you can get "decent" ones cheap, the best deal I've ever gotten were $0.25/piece, no doubtedly with some subsidy of sorts.

At least now I think LEDs are better if you can stomach the initial cost, they actually last their full lifetimes, and can deal with the WEIGHT. Their heatsinks contribute significantly to the overall weight and can cause top heavy floor lamps to become less steady. However especially with expensive electricity, even $10 LED lamps will eventually (and I mean *eventually*) cost less than CFLs. But with they typical household not living in their house for more than a few years, unless you take the bulbs with you, you may not recuperate the cost of the bulb if you compared it with a CFL.

As I have not had LEDs for long I can't vouch for their lifetime, but so far I do like the fact that they come on full brightness for situations where you need the brightness right away. Places like bathrooms I find I like the slow start, gives some time for my eyes adjust.

(I've also seen that there are CFL bulbs out there that start to rival sizes of incandescent bulbs and should fit in most situations. They are also fairly lightweight too. So far their lifetimes are OK, haven't had them burn out but they've been used for just a year or so. However, LEDs are still quite large, mostly due to the heatsink.)

Comment

Take a look at the Cree 60W LED bulbs for less than $5.00 at Home Depot. They are better than incandescents, and with the high line voltages that we have in the US now, they last a LOT longer than incandescents. My wife the color of the light from CFLs. She can't tell the difference between an incandescent and a Cree LED.

I'm not an environmental wacko, but I'm a BIG fan of Cree LED lighting. About 1/2 of the bulbs in my home are Cree LEDs. If I move, I will take them with me. Thanks for reminding me of that!

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                    The fluorescent bulbs don't die because of electrolytic capacitors, the high voltage capacitors die first.
                                    More expensive bulbs are better designed and last longer but even cheaper bulbs, if you turn them on and leave them running for long time, they'll last.

Here's a link that shows several cfl bulb designs and it shows the mains points of failure: http://www.pavouk.org/hw/lamp/en_index.html
                                    Electrolytic capacitors are rarely causing problems like I said.
                                    Indeed. I actually fixed a CFL before, one film capacitor inside had died. It's still working to this day lol.

The other failure I have noticed is the filaments. They burn out often.

Also, cheap bulbs will have a buzz/whine.
                                    Not sure about brands like GE at the moment, but the most recent bulbs we got are total junk. They start out with the brightness of a night-light! Takes a few minutes to warm up and come up to full brightness.

The best bulbs for us have been GE. We even have them in recessed fixtures, which you aren't supposed to put them in, and they last for at least 4 or 5 years. (They get quite a lot of use too)

We even have CFLs in the bathroom, I wonder if they will catch fire because of the humidity. We have no choice, because the incandescent bulbs we'd need are illegal now (yes, ILLEGAL).

Also, the CFLs use a resistor as a fuse, which I don't like.
                                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

it's a gray fuseable resistor, not a regular smoke&flame type.

i'm thinking your not seeing electrolytics bursting because your only 115v,
                                      try Europe where we have to use 400v electrolytics in these things.
                                      usually 1.8 or 2.2uf

Comment

I use those G25 globe shaped CF bulbs in the bathroom. I highly doubt they are environmentally sealed, and the last time I saw this shape in the form factor of an LED they were like $12 for 40W equivalent. No thanks for now.

(And remember if you take your LEDs with you when you move, you have to replace them with something...another CFL perhaps... so that adds to your cost.)

Comment

Working...
                                        X