PS4 CUH-1215 Blu-Ray worm gear not moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 CUH-1215 Blu-Ray worm gear not moving

I know we don't have a huge game system repair crowd here but figured I'd post to see if anyone encountered this yet. Will post photos and repair if I get that far with it.

CUH-1215 came in today "not reading discs". Warranty labels still intact so nobody messed with it previously. Upon opening I noticed some red juice type liquid residue inside. Not a lot, and I've seen a lot of water damage in my day. Most looks like it stayed on the plastic and nothing on the board (though I have not torn it down completely yet). I don't think the liquid is the culprit, but it is a possibility.

Opening the drive and watching to see what happens, it will accept and eject discs fine. It spins the disc and the laser lights, but the worm gear does not move. Replacement assembly acts the same and this is the drive without the daughterboard so the problem lies in either the mainboard, or the long ribbon that goes to the spindle / worm gear.

It will be tomorrow or Thursday until I dig into it further. If anyone knows of a source for the cable, that would be appreciated if it winds up being the problem. It would be hard to spend ~$90USD for a replacement drive for only a damaged flex.

Re: PS4 CUH-1215 Blu-Ray worm gear not moving

Flex cable checked out so upon starting to tear down the console I found the only spot the liquid found a board. One of the through traces was eaten away. Cleaned it up and stuck a couple strands of wire through with a couple dabs of solder to re-establish the connection. Works like a champ.
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X