HP 3468A Bench Multimeter Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP 3468A Bench Multimeter Repair

Modemhead, a member here, has posted a new blog about a HP 3468A Bench Multimeter Repair. See

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/hp3468a-...imeter-repair/

What is interesting is that I can't recall hearing about a shorted electrolytic capacitor on badcaps.net. I found a shorted ceramic capacitor in a 19 inch monitor, but never an electrolytic one.

PS. The Fluke 8060A he is using to measure the resistance of the 27+ year old Sprague caps was also a victim of obviously bad leaking capacitors (just like my 8060A). It is documented at

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-8060a-repair/
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Re: HP 3468A Bench Multimeter Repair

Damn, nice looking meter.
    I haven't heard of a shorted electrolytic either.
    I would think it would explode or at least pop a top and ooze out.

Still waiting for my 8040A, it seems to be vacationing in Erlanger, Kentucky.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I put one of the shorted caps on my power supply and slowly ramped up the current limit. The cap opened up at 620mA. It now measures 338uF, and 0.05 ohms on an ESR tester, and generally acts like a cap again. So whatever the fault was, it was destroyed (at least temporarily) by a little heat.

Comment

Somewhat related video on a shorted capacitor (jump to 11:23 if you don't have time or want to watch the whole thing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at7GLypcLro

One of the 4 main filter caps was a dead short as measured by a bench Fluke. A shorted cap is not something I would have tested for in the above video, but it looks like I will have to add that to my troubleshooting routine now.

I tried fixing a HK AVR, but gave up after I couldn't get the stupid boards apart.

Details for those interested.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10066
        Last edited by retiredcaps; 03-29-2013, 12:07 AM.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

One old 8050A which I got from the States (Ebay) it came with a burned resistor which was spliced in half and it was making contact occasionally.
          And it was effecting the power-on of the meter which suddenly it was turn off.
          This was a truly unexpected damage.
          But either way I am not easily surprised any more by anything unexpected those days.

Comment

Working...
          X