X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blue ESR Meter assembly problem

Originally posted by Moustahil View Post
    Finally assembled unit and diagram...
    I found my 'master' photo of the board and compared yours against it. Everything seems to be OK so now all you need to do is use the meter. Good luck with it.
    It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      Are those green/yellow caps made by Sanyo/Suncon? If yes, did you buy them from ebay? Most of them are fakes on ebay. It would be interesting to see a picture of the top, bottom (bung), and your ESR measurements of those caps.
      As severach said, those are the used caps (Sanyo) taken from old motherboards (socket 478&462) and suprisingly had esr within spec! But then again, some 20 years old caps I posses also had it!

Originally posted by Bob Parker View Post
      I found my 'master' photo of the board and compared yours against it. Everything seems to be OK so now all you need to do is use the meter. Good luck with it.
      Thanks!
      Last edited by Moustahil; 07-27-2012, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Ok, kit is built. Trying to calibrate the low battery warning. Turning VR1 has no effect. using 5.5v dc from a variable power supply. Yes the 10K pot is VR1 (103). Checked for any solder problems, non found. Is the 9v battery connected for this?

Comment

You use the 5.5V in place of the battery for the adjustment. That way when you are using a real battery and the voltage drops to that level the indicator goes off and you know to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
            You use the 5.5V in place of the battery for the adjustment. That way when you are using a real battery and the voltage drops to that level the indicator goes off and you know to change it.
            That's exactly correct. Thanks for answering his question.

Comment

My kit did not come with an assembly manual but I have been able to figure it out from the pcb markings & online pics/diagrams.

One thing I cannot figure out is which way the LED dots are supposed to go.

Can someone tell me the correct orientation of the decimal LEDs?

EDIT - Disregard! I see that the negative (shorter) leg goes toward the "flat" side of the symbol.
              Last edited by katzcaps; 03-11-2013, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Maybe the manual I attached will help you out.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
                  Maybe the manual I attached will help you out.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by katzcaps View Post

EDIT - Disregard! I see that the negative (shorter) leg goes toward the "flat" side of the symbol.
                    Correct... that's the cathode.

Comment

Hi everyone, is this kit available in the uk? If not, can anyone recommend a good multimeter with esr. Cheers guys
                      go url

Comment

Originally posted by bilbofx View Post
                        Hi everyone, is this kit available in the uk? If not, can anyone recommend a good multimeter with esr. Cheers guys
                        I don't think anyone sells the Blue ESR meter kit over the counter in the UK. You'd probably have to get one by mail from one of the overseas companies listed at http://anatekcorp.com/blueesr.htm

If there are sanely priced multimeters with ESR measurement capability, hopefully one of the people here will be able to advise you about them. Good luck.

Comment

HI Bob, thanks for the reply and link ;-)
                          go url

Comment

Originally posted by bilbofx View Post
                            HI Bob, thanks for the reply and link ;-)
                            You're welcome.

Don't forget that if you're the adventurous type and have an oscilloscope, you don't absolutely have to get any kind of ESR meter. You can build some simple circuitry to do a similar job for a fraction of the price. Have a look at this .pdf file written by Stephen M. Powell for some ideas:

Comment

Working...
                            X