Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer AL1914 - No power light, Some screen activity

Hi,

First post here. I read about someone else who had a similar problem with their acer AL1914 screen, and fixed it with some help from here.

The problem I have is slightly different.

Connected the screen with power lead and VGA lead, Push power button, No light on the power button, and no back light on the screen. Looking carefully with the sun on the screen, it does a washy sort of effect, as if it got some power but turned off again.

It does this every time the power button is pressed (after waiting a couple of seconds in between presses).

I currently have the screen dismantled, with the power board in hand ready with a voltmeter.

What should I check first?

thanks!

Re: Acer AL1914 - No power light, Some screen activity

I have read though some other posts, and found that most monitors insides are practically the same.

There are 2 Hermei 16V 1000uf capacitors that the top is like a dome shape and pushed up. I suppose blown?

I have some spare 2000uf capacitors.. would these work as a replacement?
    Last edited by JoeyJoe; 09-10-2012, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Impatient me has already connected the replacement capacitor.

I noticed the blown ones were in parallel with each other. So I replaced them both with a single 2000uf 16V capacitor, and I now have a power light!

Screen looks to be doing the same though, but will test with something connected to it now.

Update:

Connected it to a laptop, and the backlight of the screen powers on for a second, then turns off. the power light remains on. Looks like that was the problem, but it doesnt like the replacement capacitors.
      Last edited by JoeyJoe; 09-10-2012, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Hi the caps you have used are way out on uf you can up or down 20%
        Ie 820uf or 1200uf and should be low esr .
        You can use a larger voltage 25v depending on space

Also you should replace all the caps on the board with the exception of the larger cap ,a picture of the back and front of your power board will help so test points can be pointed out

Comment

Originally posted by sabre504 View Post
          Hi the caps you have used are way out on uf you can up or down 20%
          Ie 820uf or 1200uf and should be low esr .
          You can use a larger voltage 25v depending on space

Also you should replace all the caps on the board with the exception of the larger cap ,a picture of the back and front of your power board will help so test points can be pointed out
          Well I figured that since the 2 caps were next to each other on the same tracks, I would replace both with a single one.

The screen now works fine, (I forgot to connect the screen wire back into the screen!).

Bought the screen from a bootsale for £7 from a guy who was packing up his stall... Said it was working. At least I fixed it without paying a penny!!

Comment

On a side note, The monitor is very bright and clear. Looks like when your monitor starts to go dark, these things are on their way out.

Comment

Working...
            X