Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken Dell 1800FP Power Supply - when and when not to resolder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Broken Dell 1800FP Power Supply - when and when not to resolder?

Thanks to your suggestion I have been running an 1800FP for a year now off a computer PS that I cut all the wires off but one molex, crossed the green wire to ground, rewired the VB cable with a female molex, and everything works really well...

Comment

Hi,

I have a Dell 1800FP which doesn't turn on.
      In fact, if I connect the screen to a computer, this latter recognizes the screen even if it doesn't work.
      In the list in display settings, I can see Dell 1800FP.

Can I try to resolder first to make it work or do I have to replace the ICE2AS01 chip anyway?

If I have to get an ICE2AS01 chip, I have seen this one:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=140635454711

Do you think I can buy that one to replace the ICE2AS01 chip in my screen?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinyu View Post
        I have a Dell 1800FP which doesn't turn on.
        1) Post clear focused top down view pictures following my sig file below exactly.

2) Does the power LED come on at all?

3) Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I would like to thank the informative folks who have posted in this thread. I bought a couple of them about a year and a half, and after only about 3 weeks, one failed. I got the seller to swap me the dead one for a good one. another one died and i tossed it (it had been a couple of months.
          then last week another died ( i have about half a dozen of them running at the moment).
          I was about to toss it today, when i came across this thread, and decided to take a whirl, since i was gonna toss it anyway. (whats the worst that could happen?)

It's now running, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks a lot folks.

Comment

Hello!
            I picked up an old 1800FP a few years back. I never tried to do anything with it because it didn't work, but now I've got a use for it and I'd like to get it up and running. I'm not the best at this kind of thing, but I've done some work on smaller things.

It's got a lot of the basic issues I've seen throughout the forum for it's model.
            Doesn't turn on at all, no LED power light, bad solder on the power supply, flux all over the place, etc., etc. Also, the capacitors are definitely staying charged for about 10 minutes (Well, they did at least one time) because after I disconnected the PS and unscrewed it so I could remove it, it electrocuted the #^&*)^%$ out of me when I touched it.

I'm getting all kinds of interesting readings on my voltage meter. I've alreay checked D902 out of circuit and it's good. I resoldered a few of the solder joints that were bad. One on D903 was completely separated. (Also, can someone please tell me where/which ones are the duo diode paks so I can re-do them?)

From what I hear, it's most likely the ICE2AS01 on IC901. If I ground my meter on pin 7, and check on pin 6, I get a little less than 3.5 ohms on the x10 setting. Does that mean it is shorted?

Also, if it IS the ICE2AS01, can I replace it with a SG6841D KAQ92650425E from an AOC brand LCD? It is the same size and shape, and has the same number of pins, but I am unsure if it would be compatible.

If you have any ideas for what I can do elsewise, please tell me! thank you very much!
            (I'm sorry the over all picture isn't the best!)
            Attached Files

Comment

That is the typical failure mode of the ICE2AS01: shorted VCC pin. You need to get the same IC, there is no sub for this ICE series IC. The later version of this power supply, they added 18V Zener Diode (Vcc pin to ground to clamp the max spike voltage to 18V) to stop the power supply from destroying this IC.
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Hi all,

Following this thread for years, but I was lazy, using a newer LCD, and my rarely used 1800fp working fine with an external atx PS. However, I decide to give it away, so trying to fix it ...

Here is my current problem. Whenever I want to start the LCD, I have to use a hair dryer to blow on top of the PS board for 30s-1min, then the LCD will start to work perfectly.

I already tried to resolder D903 and D906, but problem still persists . When turning it off, I hear very small click sound from the PS board. What do you think ?

Thanks,

Comment

That can be bad caps with high ESR, ESR will go down when the cap is heated up.
                  Never stop learning

Comment

Another problem with your model monitor were bad solder joints on the power board's main transformer. Have you tried resoldering the transformer pins?

Comment

I just resolder transformer joints, still persists. While the LCD is on , there is no clicking sound. Let it idle (yellow LED) for around 30mins, the LCD will turn itself off and clicking sound is heard.
                      Any suggestion on which caps I should (how to) check or replace? They all look OK to me , no bulging. Thanks

Comment

Your power supply is not known for failed caps. However, without photos or any voltage testing, if I had to replace a cap, I'd start with the startup cap on the power supply. It's a small cap probably rated at 47uf 50V.

Comment

I have 2 of these Dell 1800 FP monitors. Neither would turn on when I got them, no power LED. I pulled the power boards, one seems to have pretty clean solder joints. The other had dodgy solder joints so I reflowed D903 and D906 and replaced the ICE chip. Now, the monitor with that board will sometimes turn on. The longer it's off, the more likely that it will get a green LED and power up, once it's on, it seems to work, but if turned off it doesn't come back on again until it's "rested" for a while. I haven't done anything to the power board board with the better looking soldering.

If I disconnect the P902 connector between the power board and the logic board, I find 12V and 5V on that connector, but if I leave it connected and check voltages they are low, 7 or 8 and under 4.

Not sure where to go from here. Replace the "Sam Young" caps?

Comment

Originally posted by Alohamora View Post
                            I have 2 of these Dell 1800 FP monitors. Neither would turn on when I got them, no power LED. I pulled the power boards, one seems to have pretty clean solder joints. The other had dodgy solder joints so I reflowed D903 and D906 and replaced the ICE chip. Now, the monitor with that board will sometimes turn on. The longer it's off, the more likely that it will get a green LED and power up, once it's on, it seems to work, but if turned off it doesn't come back on again until it's "rested" for a while. I haven't done anything to the power board board with the better looking soldering.

If I disconnect the P902 connector between the power board and the logic board, I find 12V and 5V on that connector, but if I leave it connected and check voltages they are low, 7 or 8 and under 4.

Not sure where to go from here. Replace the "Sam Young" caps?
                            Since you have two of these monitors, did you try the power supply you just fixed on the other monitor? If you see the same problem, then it's a power supply issue. If no, then the problem is elsewhere.

Comment

Yes, I've swapped boards between the two monitors. I swapped logic, keypad and power boards. Nothing made a difference but the power board. The "semi-repaired" board turned on a few times in both units. But this morning, it's back to acting totally dead, as in no LED.

I double-checked voltages on the connector P902 going to the logic board, both 12V and 5V lines are low and fluctuating wildly.

Let me know if you want pics of anything else.
                              Attached Files

Comment

You say "dead, no LED", but you still had a fluctating 12V/5V output?

Sounds almost like a bad solder joint. You can try the following:

1) using a small wooden or plastic stick, try pressing down on various parts on the power supply.

2) using a hair dryer, heat up various portions (especially areas around the ICE chip) to see if that aids in startup.

3) re-solder the joints for the pins of the main (yellow) transformer of the power supply as they are a known problem with this power supply.

4) if the above fails, try measuring the voltage of the startup cap. I believe it's the small 47uf 50V cap next to the ICE chip.
                                Last edited by jetadm123; 08-18-2012, 12:19 PM.

Comment

No luck pressing anything with a popsicle stick, but the hairdryer worked on both monitors! Blowing on the area of the ICE chip and the two little caps, first the LED turns on and then the backlight.

Bad solder? I can have another go at re-soldering everything later this evening.
                                  Last edited by Alohamora; 08-18-2012, 02:02 PM.

Comment

More likely a bad cap. Suggest you first try replacing the 47uf startup cap and re-soldering all transformer pins.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                      You say "dead, no LED", but you still had a fluctating 12V/5V output?
                                      Yes, fluctuating. I double-checked with a better meter.

Touching up the solder joints did not help.

However replacing the 47uf cap did the trick! Got my cap order today and I replaced the 47uf first, and then the monitor started turning on!

I did replace the rest of the caps after that anyway, all but the one really large cap. I don't have an ESR meter but the cap meter says the old ones I pulled out measure from 12% to 27% low.

Same story with monitor #2, except I replaced all the caps in one sitting.

These two monitors were $10 each from Goodwill. I may go back and see if they have any of the $5 CTX monitors left.

Thank you so much for the advice!

Comment

I ran into a 3rd dead 1800fp and could couldn't resist buying it for $5 (goodwill), even though I still haven't found a home for the other 2 I fixed.

This one had a shorted ICE chip, which I replaced, but it still didn't work. D906 and D903 had crappy soldering so I re-flowed them. F901 was blown. It helped to have a working power supply to compare to and also the schematic and I have found that Q902 is shorted.

Q902 is a 11N60C3. My question is if there is some other common IC that can be substituted? (I have a few IRF510 on hand).
                                        11N60C3 on alldatasheet - I'm not sure which suffix to use?

Comment

The later version of this power supply has 20V 1Watt ZENER Diode between VCC pin and Ground, suppose to protect the IC from voltage spike during power supply start up.
                                          Never stop learning

Comment

Working...
                                          X