X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Originally posted by abo0badr View Post
    thank you for that wonderful response..
    so you guess the problem is the same with what this thread is about?? the solution here might help me?? and about your statement on adding as much capacitance as i can, should I reach higher than the NEC/TOKIN capacitance?? is it ok? to even reach 2000uf with a 2.5v capacitors?
    and one last question if you don't mind, how can i check the capacitance of the NEC/Token while it is on-board? thank you so much
    2000uF is fine, as I said desktop motherboards regularly use >10,000uF.

Comment

thanks boss...i will try to find some capacitors online..as my area doesn't have electronics shops selling the SMD tantalum capacitors..but can I check/test if my NEC/TOKIN capacitance is not as good as it was?? as i see the place of the NEC/TOKIN is hard to test using a multitester..how can i check the capacitance since it's under the CPU??

Comment

I want to say thanks to all contributions on this thread. It's a help for someone who is not a tech like me. The solution worked like a charm. My computer is up and running stable as it used be with ac power or battery for one day now. I'll add some photos on my next post, as soon as I learn how that can be done :_)

Abracos

Comment

Congratulations PVH!

Comment

OK, I got it. I used 4 smd caps 330uf of 2,5V that I took from an old scrap board. The Nec/Tokin caps came out in layers from top to bottom. Using a tiny flat head screw driver to pry it off. The soldering was bit more difficult, but nothing that a bit of acid and 60W soldering iron couldn't do. Patience is a virtue in this type of job.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PVH View Post
              OK, I got it. I used 4 smd caps 330uf of 2,5V that I took from an old scrap board. The Nec/Tokin caps came out in layers from top to bottom. Using a tiny flat head screw driver to pry it off. The soldering was bit more difficult, but nothing that a bit of acid and 60W soldering iron couldn't do. Patience is a virtue in this type of job.
              "acid"? Acid flux?

You should clean the board if you haven't done so, or the flux will eat the traces and cause even more problems later on.

Comment

I did clean, as you can see on the picture. I don't know the name in English... but it's a type of soldering paste used to help the solder to "stick" to the parts to be soldered... I believe it's some sort of acid paste. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

b700029, he probably meant flux paste.

PVH, congrats, perfect job!

Comment

I also got the problem solved using 4 capacitors. Thank you ablacon64 and all other guys contribute in this thread.
                    BTW i also added some flux, how do i clean them (flux) after the soldering is done? If i dont do will it cause problems later?

Comment

Many thanks to you guys who shared their knowledge... it helps a lot out there including me even though I haven't tried it yet. Now I know what needs to be fixed..

Comment

Originally posted by wmbuddhi View Post
                        I also got the problem solved using 4 capacitors. Thank you ablacon64 and all other guys contribute in this thread.
                        BTW i also added some flux, how do i clean them (flux) after the soldering is done? If i dont do will it cause problems later?
                        Most good fluxes are no clean. But you can clean with isopropyl alcohol. I use ethyl acetate (CH3COOCH2CH3). It's a very strong solvent and does not damage the board. It's more expensive than isopropyl alcohol but only 2 drops can clean a 4x4cm area easyly. I use 100% pure ethyl acetate, but the diluted version that is found in drugstores will do the job just fine.

Comment

Hello,

I have a A305 laptop with same symptoms and problems. So I followed the procedure and I removed the NEC OE907 capacitor. After that, I replaced the old one by 3 tantalum caps of 330uf of 4v with correct polarization. When I turn on the computer nothing happens, I don't get no video, no HD startup... nothing, only the lights are turned on. Then I tryed to put more one 330uF cap and nothing. I have made all possible arrangements of capacitors with values of 220 and 330uf to obtain the sum of 900 uf or even 1200 uF, but it didn't work. Does anyone know what happend? Does it happend with someone here in the forum? Does someone has any idea to give? Thanks for attention.

Comment

Do the fans turn on? Does it beep?

Maybe you killed the CPU with static... you can try measuring across the capacitors to see if the CPU core voltage is coming up correctly (should be ~0.8-1.2v)

Comment

I don't believe so, because I removed CPU before any procedure. Yes, the funs turns on and lights turn on too. The voltage between caps is 1.08V, it seems to be OK. One thing strange that happens is that the light of CPU and HD flashes on in just one second, then turns off, but I get no video.

Comment

I have the same problem with Toshiba L300 satellite, somehow I still cannot manage to get the screws out, which fall under the laptop battery. 3 tiny screws. What do I do now?
                                http://nishantpinto.blogspot.in/

Comment

Originally posted by nish_pinto View Post
                                  I have the same problem with Toshiba L300 satellite, somehow I still cannot manage to get the screws out, which fall under the laptop battery. 3 tiny screws. What do I do now?
                                  You'll need to remove those screws or you cannot access the motherboard from top. Use the smallest philips screw driver you can find, as these 3 screws are shorter than all others from the bottom cover, and they should come off. It maybe hard at the first turn because the have some sort of lock paste at their ends. Google the web for a step by step procedure to disassemble the L300.

Best

Comment

hey PVH, Thanks for the reply. Somehow I managed to get those screws driven out. Here is the picture of the cap.

Now whats the next step? I am really not good with the technical stuff. What hardware should I get from Digikey or any other electronics shop?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Hey, I noticed that you have a different caps there... it would be good to have some input about that, as for what I know the Nec/Tokin was the bad guy.

Hang on, let us hear from the tech guys... you're not very far concerning the replacement procedure.

Comment

^^ Yes its a different cap. But the values should be same right? P.S- Its a Toshiba L300.

Comment

Originally posted by nish_pinto View Post
                                          ^^ Yes its a different cap. But the values should be same right? P.S- Its a Toshiba L300.
                                          Not exactly, as there are different processors for the same model... in my case it's a Intel Core2 Duo T5870 @2.00Ghz. Anyway, I haven't research yours but if it has the same values and the symptoms are the ones described on this thread, just go ahead and pry it off.

Comment

Working...
                                          X