Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Findings in router & DSL modem...

Router DIR-655 loaded with UCC KY and KZG

DSL modem: Speedtouch 5200 pair of iC/SAKM (??) 2200uF 25V fat, squat caps were bloated, rest of caps mostly 1000uF 6.3V pannys still good but need to source good batch of caps to take care of them, they'are on the borderline. (.11 to .07). And the said caps is odd size: I need to replace them too as I used good caps from my stash and is too tall to let top snapped on.

18mm dia x 16mm tall, lead spacing is 7.5mm or 8mm for those fat shorties pair.

Cheers, Wizard

Re: Findings in router & DSL modem...

Mr Wizard,
    Is this made by Siemens? I have a Siemens Speedstream 4200 from 11/08 that has been on 24X7 since then. Haven't had any difficulties to speak of, but should I be looking inside for potential problems?

Cheers to you, too

tom

Comment

Re: Findings in router & DSL modem...

Originally posted by tmwalsh
      Mr Wizard,
      Is this made by Siemens? I have a Siemens Speedstream 4200 from 11/08 that has been on 24X7 since then. Haven't had any difficulties to speak of, but should I be looking inside for potential problems?

Cheers to you, too

tom
      I have a Speedstream (actually 2 - got another from a friend that switched to cable from DSL). Opened it up and it was full of G-Luxon though none appeared bad. On a lark I replaced everything with Nichicon PWs and added a heat sink to the main chip.

Because of some other problems, I had the opportunity to have each connected in turn while AT&T techs were diagnosing the signal. They told me they could tell the difference between the 2 and that the recapped one was better.

I have the recapped one in service now and it runs much cooler.

I don't think it's worth tearing apart unless you are having problems. However, if you like doing this kind of stuff there seems to be some benefit (though I can't supply a quantitative value). I'm happy knowing my unit should be very reliable though.

Comment

Working...
      X