My Viewsonic VX924 monitor died!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Viewsonic VX924 monitor died!

No, I haven't. Is it a voltage regulator?

Comment

it's a MBR10100CT Schottky

Comment

How do i test this?

Comment

Originally posted by NeiltheDruid View Post
          How do i test this?
          With power off and LCD unplugged, set your multimeter on diode test function.

pin 1 = left
          pin 2 = middle
          pin 3 = right

1) Black probe on pin 1, red on pin 2 record diode measurement
          2) Red probe on pin 1, black on pin 2 record diode measurement
          3) Black probe on pin 3, red on pin 2 record diode measurement
          4) red probe on pin 3, black on pin 2 record diode measurement

A good diode should measure between 0.4 to 0.7 V in one direction and 0L (or "1") in the other.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hmmmm, I've been reading newbie1's thread. Since I'm targeting the SMPS controller on my board. I checked the chip using the pins that newbie1 tested. Pins 1+3 bounced around 16.5-18.6v and pins 1+7 was similar in behaviour but bouncing between 13.5-15.5v.

Since PlainBill stated that the SMPS won't start until pin 7 reaches around 16v, I'm wondering if it actually is the SMPS controller that's dead.

I'll be back asap with the schottky.

Comment

Ok, I tested the MBR10100CT. No matter which way I put the probes on which ever pins, the reading starts at around "230" and very quickly drop to "000". Basically, almost exactly the same as touching the probes together. Yep, sounds like I'm doing it wrong, but I swear I'm not
              Last edited by NeiltheDruid; 10-29-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Ok, I tested the MBR10100CT. No matter which way I put the probes on which ever pins, the reading starts at around "230" and very quickly drop to "000". Basically, almost exactly the same as touching the probes together.
                And this is with the multimeter set on the diode test function? On your multimeter, it is the same function dial as the 2000 ohm setting (which I personally hate). You only need the 4 measurements I outlined.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  On your multimeter, it is the same function dial as the 2000 ohm setting (which I personally hate).
                  Correct, does that mean I am doing it wrong? Because no matter what I do, the meter just drops to 000.
                  Last edited by NeiltheDruid; 10-29-2010, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I would use a analog multimeter set it to times 10k ohm range, then you should get full reading one way and a little reading the other way

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have an analogue multimeter.

Hmmmmm. I'm a bit stuck. What do you wizards think?

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have an analogue multimeter.

Hmmmmm. I'm a bit stuck. What do you wizards think?
                        I'm puzzled. The easy approach would be to hook up a source of electricity from Gnd to the 12V output of the power supply and monitor the current as the voltage is increased. You should be able to increase it to 5V or so with very little current draw. I have a 25V variable supply, so that's easy for me to suggest. If you don't, I'd take a 6 or 9 V battery and hook it up (Remember polarity!!!) and see if the battery voltage stays at 9V. If it drops, there is a problem.

PlainBill
                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Correct, does that mean I am doing it wrong? Because no matter what I do, the meter just drops to 000.
                          I have only used 2 multimeters in my life. Both are autoranging and both give different results than what you are seeing.

I don't know what 000 means on your meter. Maybe check your manual to see how to do diode test. BTW, 220 could me 220mV. I won't have access to my boards or a multimeter this weekend to see if 220mV is a good measurement or not for that type of diode.

You can try a resistance test to see if the diode is shorted or not.

With power off and LCD unplugged, measure pins 1-2, 1-3, and 2-3 using 200 ohms scale. If the reading is less than 20 ohms, that suggests the diode is shorted.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok, I dug out the manual to my dmm. This is how it reads:

"DIODE MEASUREMENT

1. Red lead to "V (OHM symbol) mA". Black lead to "COM". (Check)
                            2. RANGE switch to (diode symbol) position. (Check)
                            3. Connect the red test lead to the anode of the diode to be measured and the black test lead to the cathode.
                            4. The forward voltage drop in mV will be displayed. If the diode is reversed, figure "1" will be shown."

To be honest I am utterly confused by this, result are variable when I touch the pins, dropping to 000 with each pin combination. These are the results of the diode test that I have collected anyway:

Black pin 1, red pin 2 = -254 - drops to 000
                            Red pin 1, Black pin 2 = 230 - drops to 000
                            Black pin 3, red pin 2 = -242 - drops to 000
                            Red pin 3, black pin 2 = 372 - drops to 000

I also did the resistance tests that retiredcaps asked for with the resistance range set to 200 ohms:

Pins 1+2 = 00.3
                            Pins 1+3 = 00.2
                            Pins 2+3 = 00.3

Comment

I decided to recheck everything. Starting from the 12vdc out I checked the voltage and noticed something strange. If I check the voltage using the 12v and ground pins I get no reading whatsoever. If I do the same I but I use the grounding around the mains socket or around a screw hole, I get the fluctuating tiny voltage of 0.02 - 0.08 that I mentioned in post #22. What does this mean?

Comment

Ok, I dug out the manual to my dmm. This is how it reads:

"DIODE MEASUREMENT

1. Red lead to "V (OHM symbol) mA". Black lead to "COM". (Check)
                                2. RANGE switch to (diode symbol) position. (Check)
                                3. Connect the red test lead to the anode of the diode to be measured and the black test lead to the cathode.
                                4. The forward voltage drop in mV will be displayed. If the diode is reversed, figure "1" will be shown."

To be honest I am utterly confused by this, result are variable when I touch the pins, dropping to 000 with each pin combination. These are the results of the diode test that I have collected anyway:

Black pin 1, red pin 2 = -254 - drops to 000
                                Red pin 1, Black pin 2 = 230 - drops to 000
                                Black pin 3, red pin 2 = -242 - drops to 000
                                Red pin 3, black pin 2 = 372 - drops to 000

I also did the resistance tests that retiredcaps asked for with the resistance range set to 200 ohms:

Pins 1+2 = 00.3
                                Pins 1+3 = 00.2
                                Pins 2+3 = 00.3

When you check the 5 and 12 voltage, do not use the mains ground. Use the low voltage ground, a ground screw.On the diode check and the ohm reading of the MBR10100CT you may have to lift one leg of it out of the circut to get a accurate reading.
                                Al.
                                Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Do you get a reading set at 20K

Comment

Ok, to save hassle I removed the diode from the board.

This time the diode test looks like this

Black pin 1, red pin 2 = 1 (out of range)
                                    Red pin 1, Black pin 2 = 190 stable
                                    Black pin 3, red pin 2 = 000 stable
                                    Red pin 3, black pin 2 = 000 stable

Resistance looks like this:

Pins 1+2 = 1 (out of range)
                                    Pins 1+3 = 1 (out of range)
                                    Pins 2+3 = 00.5

Does that make any sense?

Comment

Recheck your measurements with the diode test
                                      Red pin 1 black pin 2
                                      Red pin3 black pin 2
                                      Do not let pin 2 come into contact with pins 1 our 3 when testing.
                                      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

I rechecked. There's no change on the multimeter.

Comment

Black probe to middle pin (2) red to 1
                                          Black probe to middle pin (2) red to 3

Red probe middle pin (2) black to 1
                                          Red probe middle pin (2) black to3

what are the readings

Comment

Working...
                                          X