Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell E197FPf no power on and squealing transformer - guidance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell E197FPf no power on and squealing transformer - guidance?

Hi,

I have a E197FPf monitor with a squealing transformer that bridges the primary and the secondary denoted as SPW-053.

I have recapped all electrolytic capacitors with Rubycon low ESR caps, all except the large filter capacitor C854.

Q850 (MOSFET transistor?) seemed OK when testing following this video but I don't have the values for the forward voltage written down and it is back in circuit now.

The U850 (power controller?) chip has the following readings using pin 1 with the black probe
    Pin 3 = 15.33v steady
    Pin 7 = 15.11v steady

The large filter capacitor C854 has 332v.

When I press and hold the power button there is a tiny voltage increase on pin 3 and pin 7, exactly 0.01v.

D854 (dual diode?) I don't know how to test, but I think it is fine (can't quite read the part number).

I850 (octocoupler?) has the following

Pin 1 = 9.98v steady
    Pin 2 = 8.92v steady
    Pin 3 = -160.5v to -163.6v unsteady
    Pin 4 = -158.8v to -161.6v unsteady

Probing pin4 changes the sound of the squeal until I remove the probe.

Transformer testing
    Continuity
    Primary1 - 1+2 - beep
    Primary2 - 3+4 - beep
    Secondary1 - 5+6 - beep
    Secondary2 - 7+8 - beep
    No continuity between primary1 and primary2 (1+2 and 3+4).
    No continuity between primary1 and either secondary1 or secondary2 (1+2 and 7+8 or 1+2 and 5+6)
    No continuity between primary2 and either secondary1 or secondary2 (3+4 and 5+6 or 3+4 and 7+8)

I have tried testing with an Anatek Blue Ring Tester and I only seem to get a green reading on pins 1+2 of Good/High Q, both sets of pins on the secondary appear to either be dead/shorted (no light) and the primary2 (pins 3+4) show red which indicates Bad/Low Q according to the label on the tester.

Any clues on what to replace? I was thinking the transformer, and I have removed it and tested it as above, I have put it back in the circuit and it still squeals. I'm unsure of the results of the test and if it isn't receiving what it needs then it's not likely to be the problem part, but I would need more information regarding U850 voltages to be certain that's the place to start.

Additional info
    ----------------

The button flex wiring harness

Pin 1 - 1.24v steady, drops to 0 when menu button pressed
    Pin 2 - 1.24v steady, drops to 0 when "-" button pressed
    Pin 3 - 1.24v steady, drops to 0 when "+" button pressed
    Pin 4 - 0v steady
    Pin 5 - 0v steady
    Pin 6 - 0v steady
    Pin 7 - 0v steady
    Pin 8 - 1.24v steady, drops to 0 when power button pressed

Thank you for looking and hopefully you can help or ask budm or PlainBill to drop by
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Shotgun25; 03-07-2017, 06:57 AM. Reason: Added images

Re: Dell E197FPf no power on and squealing transformer - guidance?

Forgot to mention that those two blue wires are to a fuse 250v 3amp fuse until I have repaired the circuit, I'm not buying the 250v 3.15amp radial fuse. This squeal was present before the fuse blew.

I have measured U851 (1506 0631cl) as follows

Pin 1 - 12.10v
    Pin 2 - 5.14v
    Pin 3 - 0v (GROUND)
    Pin 4 - 1.24v
    Pin 5 - 0v

U850 is SG5841JSZ

I have a SG5841SZ (not SG5841JSZ) I can buy from eBay and looking for datasheets, these seem to be the same part, but unsure if they have different use/operating modes based on that J letter. The datasheets are identical.

I started this project about 2 years ago replacing the caps, and didn't know what to do so put it back in storage up in the attic.

Could someone give me a starting point please?

I have watched quite a few videos on SMPS troubleshooting and I think everything upto the filter capacitor is fine, and from other threads on this forum I think that the transistor and U850 might be fine, but I am not an expert so I'm unsure where to go from here.

Comment

I'm not an expert but I would take a look at the 3.3V LDO which is probably U802 (at the left of the main filter cap), I can't read the markings. U801 (just below) may be interesting too.
      Given the measurements of U851, 5V & 12V looks ok, but the 1.24V you get for the buttons seems a bit low to me.
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Thanks for the response, I'll check when I'm back from training. Something useful to do with my cool down for sleep hour

Comment

Right I have checked the U801 and U802 and the readings are as follows.

U801
          Pin 1 - 0V
          Pin 2 - 1.24v
          Pin 3 - 5.14v

U802
          Pin 1 - 0v
          Pin 2 - 0.44v
          Pin 3 - 1.24v

What does that mean then?

Has U802 failed or is what is supplying U802 not correct? Do I need to trace before that component or is that the culprit?

Just for good measure, I have checked I851 to the left of the transformer (feedback circuit on primary?).

I851
          Pin 1 (R) - 2.48v
          Pin 2 - 0v
          Pin 3 (K) - 8.93v

Comment

Were you able to read the markings on U801 ?
            I guess it's supposed to output 3.3V (instead of 1.24V) but I'm not sure.
            Check resistance between U801 pin 2 and ground.

I think that U801 pin 2 feeds U802 pin 3, and U802 is supposed to output a lower voltage (2.5V maybe?) on its pin 2.
            The issue is probably either U801 itself or a component connected to its output (pin 2).

Comment

U801 markings
              Code:
              A1
              AS1117R-33
              B0629 33
              Measurements as follows-

Resistance GND to U801 pin 2 - 0.018Mohm after about 30-45 seconds of holding the probes (capacitor charging effect?).
              On diode mode I get 834-836 fluctuating.
              I measured the pin on the device, not the pad that it is not attached to although I have just measured the pad and it has the same 0.018Mohm resistance.

U801 pin 2 (centre pin?) is not attached to the board, it's a stubby pin for measuring internal stuff I guess, but it's not long enough to reach the board and is not connected.

Should I measure the other pins?

Should I remove U801 or U802 from the board to see what changes (if any) there are to the voltage readings?

Comment

Ok so U801 is indeed a 3.3V LDO regulator. pin 2 is probably connected to the tab and should be the output.
                Since it's not outputting 3.3V, either it is dead or the output capacitor is not working properly. You'll need to use your multimeter in continuity mode to know which capacitor(s) is connected on it's output. Then if you have an ESR meter you can check the capacitor, otherwise replace it. If replacing it doesn't work (and you still get the same voltage), you'll have to replace U801.

Comment

Thanks for continuing with this project piernov, it's appreciated you taking the time to troubleshoot my problem and explain things so that I can learn.

I have an ESR meter, so will check the caps, but if it's an electrolytic, I replaced all except the large filter cap with Rubycon low ESR caps a year or two ago when I first looked at the monitor. I'm suspecting the U801 must be bad then.

Looks like the surface mount C807 is directly after the tab using continuity mode. ESR reading is between 0.02ohms and 0.04ohms which I believe is low enough?

I'm guessing that I'd better remove it from the board to test capacitance as it has surrounding capacitors? the reading ranges from 153.4uF to 198.4uF, even though the two electrolytics C806 and C807 are labelled 25v47 (see page 2 top right table https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...3bb75aa682.pdf).

Below is the one time reading of all three capacitors one after the other with maybe 10 seconds between typing the results and placing probes.

C806 Rubycon ZLG 25v47
                  Code:
                  In circuit
                  Rating 181.4mf
                  ESR 0.04ohm
                  Code:
                  Out of circuit
                  Rating 46.46
                  ESR 0.10ohm
                  C807 Rubycon ZLG 25v47
                  Code:
                  In circuit
                  Rating 153.7uf
                  ESR 0.04ohm
                  Code:
                  Out of circuit
                  Rating 46.61uF
                  ESR 0.10ohm
                  C808 SMD unknown value
                  Code:
                  In circuit
                  Rating 182.8uf
                  ESR 0.04ohm
                  Code:
                  Out of circuit
                  Rating 184.3uF
                  ESR 0.06ohm
                  I think we are looking at U801 replacement with those values?
                  Last edited by Shotgun25; 03-10-2017, 04:05 AM. Reason: measured ESR

Comment

Except C808 capacitance (you may have written 184uF instead of 184nF), capacitors look fine so I guess you'll have to replace U801. I think a LM1117 or AMS1117 would work instead of a AS1117R if you've got one of those. (3.3V obviously)
                    Last edited by piernov; 03-10-2017, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Hi, sorry I was busy all evening so couldn't respond.

I have a lot of failed ATX PSUs, would I find this part on an ATX PSU? I would assume there would be something like this for a PSU that had a proper SATA power connector?

Comment

You probably won't find this on an ATX PSU since the 3.3V line of this kind of PSU provides much more power. You may find it on motherboards (5V standby to 3V standby regulator) or some other electronic devices (LCD display, AV receivers, etc…).

Comment

Hi piernov,

I found a L1117SG on a motherboard, but the motherboard might be working so I'm not likely to take it...just wondering if the part number if found on another board was the right one?

Also just remembered your comment about C808, what am I checking for?

Comment

If it is an L1117SG-3.3 it should work too.

About C808, an MLCC capacitor shouldn't have such a high capacitance (hundreds of microfarads), it is at most about a dozen or two microfarads. When in parallel of electrolytic capacitors, it is often in the hundreds of nanofarads (0.1uF for example).

Comment

Oh, I'll recheck that C808 tonight if I get time.

The L1117SG full printed text is
                              Code:
                              L11117SG
                              QHF1N0104
                              I found another with the following labeling
                              Code:
                              ME1117
                              A B840
                              Maybe this datasheet is the correct one for the part I found, not sure but it shows for the BXXX (Page 5) a max output voltage of 2.525v with a dropout voltage of 1.4v max. Does that sound similar? Doesn't mention 3.3, but I think the input voltage is 5v.

I'm not sure if U801 should be similar to U802 or needs to be higher...like you said -33 (3.3v).
                              If I can't find anything on another board then I'll be looking to order one from Amazon (1x TS1117CW-3.3?) or eBay (10x AS1117R 3.3), unless you have any UK sources that are reasonable prices, or if the ones I found are no good, if you know of any more boards I could salvage this part from?

Comment

You need to replace U801 (AS1117R-33) by another 3.3V LDO regulator so any 3.3V >1A LDO with the same pinout will work. However I'm pretty sure your ME1117 isn't compatible (either an adjustable or 2.5V fixed regulator). Same for the L11117SG which is probably an adjustable.
                                For adjustable regulators to output a specific voltage, you need to add a voltage divider (2 resistors) on the ADJ pin between OUT and ground. Sadly I can't tell you the values because I don't know how to calcultate them.

I don't know any specific UK source. But even eBay should be OK, chances to get a dead part are low.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. I might try and work out the voltage divider myself then as I don't need 10x AS1117R-33.

I have a HP printer I am planning to tear apart and I already tore apart a brother printer so I'll check those out for now.

Appreciate you sticking with this one, I hope to be able to resolve this soon and prove your hard work worth it.

Comment

I've found this listing on eBay and I am waiting for the seller to give me feedback on compatibility.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=131779133332

Comment

Sellers feedback was "ams1117-3.3, I think this probably would be suitable as a quick check betwen datasheets suggests a similar drop out voltage, sams pinout and slightly higher current rating. I can't 100% guarentee it'll work but lets say it's 95%. If it was me, I'd stick it in but I won't 100% guarentee it."

So I have ordered the part in a pack of 5 for £1.49 delivered. Should be with me by 17th March, will update the thread with the outcome.

One question before I end, that regulator has the centre leg, should I solder that or cut it?

Comment

Hi, I'm back.

The part arrived today (AMS1117 3.3v regulator in SOT-223) and I desoldered the suspected part and installed the slightly lower profile part and the unit powered on!
                                        There is a quieter pulsing squeal now from a transformer, but that might not be noticeable once I have the thing back in the case behind the metal chassis.

For information I did solder the centre pin.

Now I need to buy the replacement radial fuse and this thing can be put back together and test it for a few weeks.

Many thanks to piernov for the help

Comment

Working...
                                        X