Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS N56VM no power

Hi all,

I have an Asus N56 V8 with a N56VM Rev 2.3 motherboard that is not powering on.

There are no signs of life at all, no lights or fans spinning etc.

I have checked the board as best i can and can see no damage to any components, nor is there any signs of liquid damage.

The power supply has been tested and is providing the correct voltage, and so is the power jack and cable.

I've searched the forum and read through various posts and have the boardview and repair guide (although it only seems to be the first 5 pages?), voltage seems ok through the start of the circuit but then it branches off all over the place and it's managed to overwhelm me a bit.

Are there any obvious places on the board that could be causing this?

I'm new to trying this sort of thing, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Re: ASUS N56VM no power

Check the fuse the MOSFETS near the DC jack and if its ok then check for the +5V,+3V suspend power.Maybe the PowerIC is off.

Comment

I can't find any mention of a fuse on the board - am i missing something?

Also, i've managed to roll my chair over the battery (crushing one side totally)- will the laptop still power on ok from the mains without it or should i just give up now and bin this?

Comment

This model had a problem with the hot pin at the back of the jack breaking flush with the board or where it comes out of the back of the jack. Check to make sure the jack isn't broken.

Comment

I've checked the jack, there's voltage passing through it into the board ok and none of the pins have any movement in them.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

So far i've checked that the mosfets near the dc jack (PQ8801 and PQ8802) are switching ok, and that i can't detect any 5v or 3v anywhere on the board.

Looking at the repair guide i should be checking RT8206A, but i can't find it listed in the boardview on boardviewer and there isn't a search function. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Comment

Hi
              When plugged power adapter in does dcjack led light up? Don't hit power button ..Not lit adapter is comfirmed working ...start with BIOs if you want a working file upload your original i will merge it with a new update ...If you know how to do it then thats what you need to do.
              Techman1025

Comment

No lights come on at all when plugged in.

I've never flashed a bios out of a system before, I'll look into it thanks.

Comment

Hi so you will need a programmer Tl866-A WITH OPT ADAPTERS cheap and is good..once you get one you need to pull the SPI 8 pin bios chip read it and back it up upload it here and i will give you a working file unless some body else does it before me.
                  Good luck
                  Techman1025

Comment

Thanks for that, i've ordered one and I'll post when i've dumped the bios.

While I'm here though, is it normal to have low voltage going to the bios chip? I've read 0.07v on pin 1, 0.04v on pins 2, 5 and 6 and 0v on the rest.

Comment

Hi Yes because not powering on. if it was powering on you will have voltage also when you remove the chip if it don't have a white dot showing pin one put one and make sure you put chip back in the right direction....sound funny but you would be surprised how many people apply it back the wrong way cooking the spi chip.
                      Techman1025

Comment

before buying a programmer, check if there are 3 volts on the bios chip.
                        as if you wrote this voltage is not present, check if there are 3 volts on the power button.
                        If there are not 3 volts on the power button, the problem is not on the bios.
                        Last edited by jasko_jacker; 03-22-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I can't find 3v anywhere on the board - that's why i was trying to find RT8206A as that's what the repair guide says splits the voltage to the 3v/5v/12v rails.

I'm new at this sort of level of repair, so i may be making some sort of fundamental errors here but i have tried to read up as much as possible but it's a steep learning curve.

Oh, and i've already ordered the programmer kit. It may still come in useful and i've already read up on how to use it and it seems pretty straight forward (famous last words!).

Comment

Ok rt8206a receives the 19v ?
                            Post the model that is written on the motherboard
                            Last edited by jasko_jacker; 03-23-2017, 04:30 AM.

Comment

I don't know as i can't find RT8206A on the boardview to test it, it doesn't seem to be listed which is where i got stuck.

The motherboard is an Asus N56VM Main board Rev 2.3, above that it says tmt YA-4A 1, E114139, 94V-0

Comment

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp = sharing

credit [Ruv] Yuri Rogachev http://notebook1.ru

Rt8239B is responsible for SMPS 3V and 5V
                                Attached Files

Comment

VIN at pin 11, see pics point in light blu.
                                  however this type of card is not easy to understand, especially with the boardview in .asc
                                  If you have another type of boardview post it.
                                  Be careful when detect voltage not to short other pins.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by meritosari View Post
                                    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp = sharing

credit [Ruv] Yuri Rogachev http://notebook1.ru

Rt8239B is responsible for SMPS 3V and 5V
                                    Just to fix link HD image

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...1NCUk85QXNTQlk

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
                                      however this type of card is not easy to understand, especially with the boardview in .asc
                                      You can use OpenBoardView to open .asc files. A bit easier to work with than the original software.
                                      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Hi
                                        I am having quite same issue with a N56VM board too.
                                        i have a Ver 2.3 board.
                                        originally, i had a short on AC_BAT_SYS, that went to CPU_VCORE (3 mosfets changed, and CPU dead,)
                                        There is still a short on CPU_VCORE as soon as i plug any CPU
                                        so i guess there is a short after CPU too(that may have originated the VCORE mosfets to blow)
                                        i will see this later,
                                        i plugged NO CPU,
                                        now i have +3VO at 0Volts (no short), but +3VAO and +3VA are present, so i am confused
                                        5 volts are all present.
                                        i changed PU8100 RT8239BZQW, still same.
                                        Power button has power (3V)
                                        BIOS chip too.
                                        so, wich signal is my PU8100 missing to get +3VO ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X