Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D

Hello Everyone,

My trusty old DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D has finally died on me and I would like to revive it. Upon inspection I noticed 3 bad caps as seen in the photos below:

2x chemi-con KZG 1500uF 6.3V
    1x chemi-con KZG 470uF 16V

I did some searching on the forum and see that these KZG caps are notoriously bad so I think I will replace them all. I also saw a similar thread which recommends the following replacements:

Rubycon MBZ/MCZ
    Nichicon HM/HN
    Panasonic FJ/FM

I took a look on the bad caps store but none of these seem to be available. I checked on Mouser and found the Nichicon HN but they are back ordered. Only thing I found in stock is the Panasonic FM, would these work?

Panasonic FM 1500uF
    Panasonic FM 470uF

If not, can anyone recommend replacement caps for my KZG? (something in stock online)

Thanks!

Re: DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D

no the 470uF 16V panny FM is too fat with a 10mm diameter. it wont fit since its right beside the pcie slot. the 470uF 16V kzg u have has an 8mm diameter, i believe.

the two 1500uF 6.3V kzg caps that u have bloated are at a buck regulator. it will be better if u use ultra-low esr caps there. the 1500uF 6.3V panny FM may be too tall. i believe its also very close to the cpu heatsink. putting a 20mm tall cap there may cause obstruction with the cpu heatsink esp. if u use a third party cpu heatsink.

so u'll have to try poly modding the board. there is a similar version of this board that had all poly caps called the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR. saw one on ebay the other day.

the 470uF 16V electrolytic caps can be replaced with either panasonic oscon sepc or chemicon psc 270uF 16V poly caps. the 1500uF 6.3V kzg caps can be replaced with either panasonic oscon sepc 680uF 6.3V or chemicon psc 820uF 6.3V poly caps.

btw, it seems that u must have used a high end hot graphics card in the board's pcie1 x16 slot. so no surprise that the 470uF 16V cap under that slot bloated. therefore, i personally recommend poly modding as the caps are more tolerant to heat.
    Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 12-02-2016, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
      no the 470uF 16V panny FM is too fat with a 10mm diameter. it wont fit since its right beside the pcie slot. the 470uF 16V kzg u have has an 8mm diameter, i believe.

the two 1500uF 6.3V kzg caps that u have bloated are at a buck regulator. it will be better if u use ultra-low esr caps there. the 1500uF 6.3V panny FM may be too tall. i believe its also very close to the cpu heatsink. putting a 20mm tall cap there may cause obstruction with the cpu heatsink esp. if u use a third party cpu heatsink.

so u'll have to try poly modding the board. there is a similar version of this board that had all poly caps called the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR. saw one on ebay the other day.

the 470uF 16V electrolytic caps can be replaced with either panasonic oscon sepc or chemicon psc 270uF 16V poly caps. the 1500uF 6.3V kzg caps can be replaced with either panasonic oscon sepc 680uF 6.3V or chemicon psc 820uF 6.3V poly caps.

btw, it seems that u must have used a high end hot graphics card in the board's pcie1 x16 slot. so no surprise that the 470uF 16V cap under that slot bloated. therefore, i personally recommend poly modding as the caps are more tolerant to heat.
      Hi Chaos,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I must not have checked those dimensions correctly last night but you are right. The 470uF is listed as 8x11.5 and the 1500uF is listed as 10x12.5. This seems strange since visually I can see the 470uF has a larger D and the 1500uF is almost 2x the height...

Are there no low-esr aluminum-electrolyte caps available in the market right now? Is poly my only option?

If I switch to poly caps am I required to switch all the caps on the board or could I just change these to poly caps?

Thanks!

Comment

Just went back and measured the caps, the 470uF is definitely 8x11.5 like the spec sheet however the 1500uF seems to be 8x18 or so... definitely not 10X12.5...

Comment

Originally posted by Nevalite View Post
          Are there no low-esr aluminum-electrolyte caps available in the market right now? Is poly my only option?
          all of the good japcap manufacturers deprecated their ultra-low esr electrolytic caps in favour of polymers which are more resistant to heat and more reliable as ultra-low esr caps.
          If I switch to poly caps am I required to switch all the caps on the board or could I just change these to poly caps?
          u just need to replace all the kzg caps on the board. the ky caps are good and do not have issues so u can leave them be. its actually okay to mix and match electrolytics and polymers. i've seen a few boards on here by other members that do that in the cpu vrm and they're fine.
          the 1500uF seems to be 8x18 or so... definitely not 10X12.5...
          its most likely a custom order. cap manufacturers can make custom sizes for mobo makers if the order is large enough.
          Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 12-02-2016, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Looks like Topcat has some MBZ/MCZ stock left so I will just go with those.

Thanks for your input!

Comment

Working...
            X