Acer AL2416W Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer AL2416W Monitor

Hi everyone, I took the liberty of starting a new thread on this monitor as recently I have had 3 of these little beasties to repair! All wihin about 1 month which I guess is good in a way as the circuitry and dismantling is still fresh in your mind! The first two of them were pretty straight forward with the usual 100uF 35v Nk com capacitors being the primary cause. One just on the edge would start when warm but as already mentioned, in previous posts, when cold ESR increases and the monitor would not start up at all. The 4 capaitors siliconed togeter each measured out at approximatly 85uF each. I conclude should the value drop below 85uF the monitor would fail to start. The second monitor which blatently refused to do anything at all had the same 4 capacitors reading about 28uF each which confirmed previous thread findings. It would be fair to say although these capacitors had clearly failed I have not, to date, had to change any of thoes hard to find FET's!
    Now to the third monitor perhaps the most interesting, this monitor did not display the usual "acer" logo upon power up so it was always going to be different! Note the green light would come on and stay green with a signal connected to the monitor. Having three monitors I was able to substitute the psu, main logic board and inverter board with no success. I have seen reference to a "T-Con board" but I must admit I know nothing about this board, perhaps the fault layed here? And in a way it did! The fault was traced to a burnt ribbon cable namely tracks 1-4 , which all in parallel, carry the supply to a 3A fuse located on the board.
    After cleaning the tracks and re-tinning them the supply was restored and the display returned.
    In summery this is one to bear in mind if you are unfortunate enough to get a "no display at all" monitor.
    As a foot note has anyone got any scrap Acer AL2416W's? or parts donor units? as I would like to replace this ribbon cable in the long term and the cracked ferrite core in which it fits through. Please feel free to PM me if so, or any suppliers carrying these parts. Many thanks Rob: cheers:
    Last edited by bluerobboman; 05-06-2012, 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer

Re: Acer AL2416W Monitor

Well done on the fix Rob and for passing the information on to others. This will no doubt help other people restore a pretty decent monitor.

Lets see some pics of the work if you end up getting another to fix.
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Thanks for that, I would post some pictures but they would be very similar to thoes already posted. I forgot to mention I used Rubicom 35ZLH100MEFC6.3X11 From RS Components here in the UK. For you chaps over the pond, Farnell or element 14 as they are now called stock the same part. I chose these for their low ESR and long working life! I believe the manufacturer of the originals was really pushing his manufacturing skills making such a small component in the first place. As mentioned in previous posts a similar size replacement is unavailable. But the longer 11mm device can be fitted with little trouble on its side. not compromising any clearance issues.

Comment

Rubycon ZLH is a good series, good work fixing your monitors.

Farnell is element14 in some countries/regions, Newark in US

Comment

Wonder what caused the ribbon cable to "burn" in the first place? And yes, good work on troubleshooting!

Comment

Oh yes, Newark, I have come across that name before! It would be so much simpler to use the same name throughout the world don't you think? Or would that be too easy! As for the cooking of the ribbon cable going by the size of the fuse on the "t-con board"of which I still know nothing about! Furtermore, I can't see any reference to it in the service manual either! Each condutor could be carrying 750 mA it would only take a slight imbalence / build up in one contact resistance to start dissipating watts and hence heat the whole show up! It may be a even a design issue, as we all know these things are built to a cost and not necessarily the best design. I have seen a coulple of other AL2416W's with no display at all and wonder if they had the same problem? and if indeed they were ever fixed! sometime people neglect to close an issue /thread.

Comment

Working...
            X