Hard to find Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to find Cap

This cap came out of a Dehumidifier. I don't have the facility to test it, so I'm looking for replacement.

This is the label information:

CBB65 17uf -+5% 250VAC 50/60Hz C.P1

Plant Oil E243410

TONGLING CITY, TONGLING

I contacted them by email and they do have the correct Cap, but the minimum order is 1,000.

The strange thing is that it has 3 post on top and is blue in color.

There was a total of 8 wires connected to the 3 terminals

1 wire on 1, 4 wires on the next, and 3 wires on the third post.

I keep finding a Cap with only 2 post on top.

I'll try to post a pic

Re: Hard to find Cap

Attached Files

Comment

The pictures are useless, too blury.

Use the Macro mode of your camera if it has any, or put the camera on some support before snapping pictures so that your hands won't shake (and play with the distance between camera and capacitor)

Comment

I tried to make a better image but my camera blurs up close

I did type the information on the label in my first post

CBB65 3 terminals 17uf 250vac
        The cap is 68MM high and 50MM wide

Comment

It looks like a dual AC motor capacitor. Something like this. They usually have dual uF-rating, not only 17uF like this one. Might be 2x17uF? A 25-15 uF might work, if it is easier to obtain.
          ------------
          Be a mensch

Comment

Pull camera away a bit, as long as its focused people here will be able to help.
            Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

CBB65 isn't the model number, it's more like the series. These come in a variety of terminations and values.

One of those legs may go to the shell and be ground. Several I've seen are exposed metal cans and would ground through the strap that ties them to the chassis. This one has a polyvinyl wrapper. Does one of them read 0 ohms to the metal case under the blue plastic wrap?

What make & model dehumidifier is it out of? Probably easier going that route.

Please give all the numbers, line-by-line, or a clearer photo.

Why do you suspect this cap?

T
              Last edited by Toasty; 02-10-2013, 03:50 AM.
              veritas odium parit

Comment

Data sheets for standard Cinco capacitors can be found here.

Neither physical size nor value fits any of the standard listed. I'm guessing that this is a custom capacitor, hence the large order quantity. I agree with Toasty, the manufacturer of the dehumidifier might be the way to go, if exact match is required.
                ------------
                Be a mensch

Comment

Here's all the information on the Cap in order:

(TX) CBB65

17uf-+5% SH

250VAC 50/60 Hz

CQC C.P1 40/70/21

CQC03002005280

DVE PLANT OIL

EN 60252 132314

E243410

ANH TONGLING CITY TONGLING

ELECTRIC CO.LTD

It's a Sunbeam DHC-20M

S# 20050620323

Comment

Again -

>>One of those legs may go to the shell and be ground. Several I've seen are exposed metal cans and would ground through the strap that ties them to the chassis. This one has a polyvinyl wrapper. Does one of them read 0 ohms to the metal case under the blue plastic wrap?<<

Also, it looks like Sunbeam is out of the dehumidifier business. The manufacturer of ones for them through their subsidiaries, that were marketed 4+ years ago, is also gone.

Drag to curb. Get new one from next Chinese manufacturer.

T
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Also, again-

What makes you suspect the cap? They usually fail with a *bang*.

Symptoms?

T
                      veritas odium parit

Comment

is it shorted?
                        if so the compressor would hum and trip its limit switch.

Comment

There should be a schematic somewhere on that unit. Scan it and post it if you can.
                          It looks as though you have a dual capacitor for the compressor and a fan motor. Usually one side will be a lower capacitance but yours only seems to say 17 uf. It's hard to tell from your pics, is that a sheen of oil on top?
                          A lot of these units get tossed because the compressor is suspect when something simple has gone wrong, like a defective water level switch. A stuck compressor can sometimes be broken loose with a start kit.

Comment

The Cap does not seem to be leaking anything, in fact it's very clean.

I've manage to fix most things I've worked on by simple cap replacement. This unit has two caps, I replaced the cap that went to the units fan control, it only cost $4. Before I replaced that cap the fan ran all the time even with the control knob turned off. But after I noticed the compressor was not working and I didn't have the correct meter to test this cap, I went looking for a new one.

So the cap with three terminals was had to find, thats what brought me back to this forum.

I'll breakdown the terminals on top which might help.

The termnal clockwies from 9:00 is a single clip with "HER" stamped on it.

The terminal at 12:00 has three clips and has a "L" stamped on it.

The terminal at 3:00 has four clips and has an "N" stamped on it

This single Cap had Nine wires connected to it, including the live AC wire to the compressor.

Comment

What is a compressor "Start Kit?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
                                What is a compressor "Start Kit?"
                                Google refrigerator hard start kit and you'll find several examples. It's an extra capacitor parallel to the run capacitor during the start up to increase the starting torque. A relay drops the start capacitor out of the circuit after the amperage drops close to the normal FLA.
                                Your terminal markings should stand for neutral, line and hermetic. You could take your capacitor to an appliance shop that sells parts and ask them to check it for you. Did you find a schematic in the unit?

Comment

No Wiring plan and The original papers cannot be found after we moved.

I'll look up the start kit, it sounds interesting

Comment

I ordered a Start Kit online yesterday, it should ne here by the weekend

Only time will tell.....

Comment

Sad to say the start kit didn't help.

I disassembled the dehumidifier and saved what I could use elsewhere and ordered a new unit.

Many thanks to all....

Comment

Sorry to hear it wouldn't start. Hope you were able to get some usable parts from it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X