Very Very weird Help please if u can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Very weird Help please if u can

I have an ACER AL2032w monitor, shut it down for the weekend, came in Monday, it won't go out of standby (Orange Light) figured bad caps, replaced with Panasonic caps of exact same specs, temp, everything. The old one's were bulging just a bit. still same issue, but here is the weird part, I power on the monitor, orange light still, no logo, nothing, plug in a VGA cable from pc to input on monitor with power on, Monitor Power goes off. unplug vga cable, (signal) monitor comes back on (Orange light) I am thinking power supply, I have no clue how to connect up a voltage drop test on it to see if the signal is just too much for the power supply to handle because it's failing??? what do you think folks?. Thank you in advance for all your ideas and suggestions, all are very much appreciated.
    39 Soldering Iron burns And Counting

Re: Very Very weird Help please if u can

Not sure if this model the Led will go from Amber to off when it detects the video signal from the PC, or if it suppose to turn green.
    But first thing we need are the good clear pictures of the boards, please use GO ADVANCED to upload (paper clip symbol) the pictures.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

What series of Panasonic capacitors did you use in your monitor?

Do you have a digital multimeter?
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

the Led will go from Amber to off when it detects the video signal from the PC. It is suppose to go blue on detection of signal. I do have a digital VOM. The caps I used are STSI Part #:EEU-FC1E271

Panasonic FC-Series Radial Lead Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor, 270uf, 25v, Low ESR

SMD Not SMD
        Body shape Radial lead type
        Polarty type Polar
        Rated voltage 25 (V)
        Capacitance 270 (micro F)
        Tolerance on capacitance -20 to 20 (%)
        Tangent of loss angle(max.) 0.14
        Leakage current(max.) 67.5 (micro A)
        Category temperature range -55 to 105 (Cel)
        Body diameter 10 (mm)
        Body length 12.5 (mm)
        Lead(terminal) pitch 5 (mm)
        Rated ripple current-1(freq.) 100000 (Hz)
        Rated ripple current-1 755 (mA)
        Rated ripple current-1(unit) mA r.m.s.(root mean square)
        Impedance-1(frequency) 100000 (Hz)
        Impedance-1(max. value) 90 (m Ohm)
        E.S.R.-2(freq.) ?
        E.S.R.-2(max. value) ?
        Endurance 3000 (h)
        Forming & packaging feature Bulk(no lead wire or terminal forming),bag packing
        Appearance P.E.T. sleeve sheathing(metal case)

Comment

Okay those look perfectly fine, I was wondering if you used e.g. Panasonic NHG which are not suitable, but FC are very good.

With your multimeter check the output voltages of the PSU are all good. Post a picture of the connector if you need help with this.

The next step is then to check the LDOs on the main board which can cause lots of strange issues.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Panasonic FC caps are a good choice. However, one of the major mistakes people here make is replacing caps based on sight. In other words, caps don't have to be bulged to be bad. Ideally, you should have replaced all the caps ( you can leave the large 450V one alone as that rarely fails). At this point, the faster you post some photos, the faster you'll get some help.

Comment

The power supply is 4 pins, 18.5V on 2 of them and 0 on the other two, Not sure where the low dropout regulator is or how to go about testing it.

Comment

Pictures
                Attached Files

Comment

These are probably LDOs.

Test each.

To test:
                  Set meter to DC 20V.
                  Get monitor into non working state.
                  Place black probe in spare screw hole/frame of monitor for your ground.
                  Touch red probe on each pin and note the voltage. Also note if it is particularly unstable or fluctuating.
                  Report back with the voltage on each pin and the part # on the device.
                  Attached Files

Comment

the lower two units are both 1084 0257AL, The upper unit Much smaller one is 5DHL 1117L
                    The readings are in the picture, some fluctuation, but not much
                    Attached Files

Comment

Those look to be ok - can you post good clear focussed pictures of the power board - A bit sharper than the previous ones which are not really sharp enough
                      for troubleshooting. Tops and bottoms please.

Did you try a different vga cable. Different input DVI Scart etc.
                      Have you tried it on another pc or another screen on your pc.
                      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

My old cable is working now with my back up screen. I will take some better pictures and post on Monday when I get in. Happy Fathers Day to all you pop's out there.

Comment

More pics Hi Res. Under mag it looks like there may be something going on just above C144 on the back of the board, Not sure what it is though.

Comment

here
                            Attached Files

Comment

and here, new problem, blinking amber light now, This thing is ready for the Hot SHT Tank!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Cannot find this part anywhere, acer does not make it anymore, I wish I did not like this dang Monitor so much Part number is 55.L38VE.003

Comment

Originally posted by LITEZONER View Post
                                  More pics Hi Res. Under mag it looks like there may be something going on just above C144 on the back of the board, Not sure what it is though.

How about a close up picture of it then? - What is on the other side.
                                  I suspect its a super Teapo cap - check its not burst at the bottom
                                  I think you are going to have to replace all the caps on this board as they are teapo (unless you have an esr meter)

Please can you update your profile with country and mains voltage
                                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Still no picture of power supply either?

Comment

Yes I do think that is what happened, there was some stuff on the bottom that appeared to be a solder like substance, it was hard to get off, also it seemed it came through one of the solder connections on a Cap, The solder joint in question is dirrerent that the others, it looks rough and not nice and clean like all the other solder joints. do you know where I can find these caps? TEAPO. Or would a regular electrolytic cap work? does it have to be low esr? The power supply is just a black box, I think you want me to take it apart and post a picture of it?

Comment

Picture 7 right above C144

Comment

Working...
                                        X