Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 2001FP issues

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct posting for this but it was the closest to monitor issues

I have two Dell 2001FP monitors with different video display issues.

2001FP (1):
    The left half of the display will turn into a set of vertical strips. Just like what was posted on this post https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ghlight=2001fp but his was on the right side un like mine.

2001FP (2):
    The display have a 1.5~2 inch vertical white line just off center to the right of the screen.

What I fount out in testing:
    To rule out power supply and the main PCB (the are on a frame assembly attached to the display) I swapped them out between the two display panels (put LCD #1 with PS/Main PCB assembly #2 and LCD #2 with PS/Main PCB assembly #1) and the issue for both stayed with the displays and still displayed the same issues as before, it did not follow the assembly.

For the 2001FP (1):
    This issue occurs after being on for some time. Suspecting heat related, once the right side of the screen had the vertical strips I had air blow across the top of the display and it corrected itself in with in 3 sec. I also took temp reading of that area and it will get the lines at about 100 f.

2001FP (2):
    It displays the line right away and anything I do doesn't seem to effect it in any way.

Thanks in advance for and ideas or suggestions that anyone may have.

Creed3712

Re: Dell 2001FP issues

moved. tcon or bad panel.
    pics will help.
    tcon is the board on the panel the lvds plugs into.if you can swap those you can see if the problem moves with it.some are not removeable.
    Last edited by kc8adu; 10-15-2010, 05:12 AM.

Comment

For a 20" monitor, I have yet to see removable T-con board.

You will find the board is attached to the front LCD part via several flat & thin cables.

For your panel 1, you might be able to stuff some rubbery material to give it pressure/tension so the connection can be remade but don't be surprised if they come back.

Panel 2 is similiar as panel 1 but normally 1 single line is not fixable as it is not a contact problem.

Comment

It would seem to be a known problem on 2001FP's. Apparently, the small welds connecting the ribbon cables to the LCD panel would separate over time and cause the vertical line problem. I had a 2001fp with the same problem and wound up using it for parts as it was not repairable.

Comment

Here are some pic’s. I hope they are good enough and I post them right, first time posting on this site

T-con board? Is that the PCB to LCD?

For the 2001FP (1) , I did read about that pressure point and when I moved a pencil eraser head on the Mylar ribbon cable it did clear it up. I did pack some anti static foam in there but it still came back. I’m thinking about getting a 5 v fan. Connect it to the USB and have it blow are on the board to see if that works. Will post results on this later.

For the 2001FP (2) , I found that one of the coils looked burnt on the PCB to LCD (see the close up shot with the red circle). So I cannibalized the coil from the other board to see if that may fix it, still had the line.

So from what I’m hearing is that 2001FP (2) is toast.

Attached Files
          Last edited by Creed3712; 10-15-2010, 08:18 PM. Reason: a typo

Comment

IMHO, you are wasting your time on these. As I understand, the flex circuit strip has drivers bonded to it. The drivers cannot be replaced. The flex strip is bonded to the glass LCD panel. It looks to me like you have 1) a flex strip that has broken loose from a large area of the glass panel and 2) a bad driver. Neither are repairable.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

It is possible to repair the ribbon cables from the LCD panel. I have managed to fix the connector using small pieces of 0.1mm diameter wire. It was a very time consuming task for me, took 8 hours/connector. Magnifier or camera would help .
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by h040864 View Post
                It is possible to repair the ribbon cables from the LCD panel. I have managed to fix the connector using small pieces of 0.1mm diameter wire. It was a very time consuming task for me, took 8 hours/connector. Magnifier or camera would help .
                That's determination and the patience of a saint!

Nice.
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Holy smokes!! I was wondering when someone was going try this. I know I wouldn't have the patience to try something like this. Good work!

Comment

How did you attach the wires?

Comment

Dear Dalene09,

I used my hands, tweezers, a very thin soldering iron tip, 0.5mm dia. Sn/Pb solder and much of flux (halide type, water soluble). After wires had attached to the flex board, flux cleaned off and a high resultion photo has made with the purpose of indicating possible shorts between the pads. Next the procedure repeated on the rigid PCB.

As it has shown, it is possible to repair the bad contacts perfectly in this way, however "good" contacts tend to fail in time also. It is preferred to thrown away the cover shield of the PCB and let the board to cool by air convection during operation.

If it is allowed by facilities, the best is to use anisotropic conductive adhesive and the proper(and thus expensive) method to repair the contacts to avoid the abruption of the chopper pads from the rigid PCB caused by possible overheating during soldering(very short contact time needed).

Comment

Working...
                      X