VIZIO E320VL Powers on then shuts off within a few seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VIZIO E320VL Powers on then shuts off within a few seconds

(UPDATE)A repairman showed up at my house and replaced the whole mother board (for free). TV works good. Now the question is will the power supply and backlights last another 2 years before this new hardware is burnt? lol
    Last edited by nate; 08-09-2013, 04:44 PM. Reason: rawr

Comment

Originally posted by kelley View Post
      Hi All - I'm new to this. I have a Vizio 32" LCD HDTV that is 18 months old. It has stopped working. It will power on, amber light goes to white, displays VIZIO on the screen, then within a few seconds powers off and goes back to amber. Since the Vizio logo displays and I see light I assume the backlight is working fine. Of course the warranty is up. I have opened the TV, I do not see any visible issues with bulging or leaking capacitors. I have tried to reset, uplugged all external devices, unplugged from power source, held the power button for 60 seconds, plugged into new outlet, etc. I would like to attempt to fix it myself due to the cost of service vs. a new TV. On the net I have read everything from bad capacitors, to bad power supply board, to bad motherboard. Any suggestions from you pros?
      well i just want to say thanks to everyone i was about to trash my tv because vizio gave me a number to a repair man and he quoted me 290 dollars with only a 30 day warranty for the same issue i saw this forum and decided to do a live chat a week later and the vizio rep
      sent me out a repair person to update my firmware free of charge ohh i forgot i purchase the tv 3 years ago extended warranty was way gone and for what i payed for the tv which on sale was 450 dollars i surely didnt want to repair and only have a thirty day warranty it was almost easier to replace and get a new tv with a two year warranty but thanks this post my tv is working perfect funny how one person at vizio will try to get over and another will be honest guess satan got the memo no weapon from against me shall prosper!!!!!!!

Comment

well i just want to say thanks to everyone i was about to trash my tv because vizio gave me a number to a repair man and he quoted me 290 dollars with only a 30 day warranty for the same issue i saw this forum and decided to do a live chat a week later and the vizio rep
        sent me out a repair person to update my firmware free of charge ohh i forgot i purchase the tv 3 years ago extended warranty was way gone and for what i payed for the tv which on sale was 450 dollars i surely didnt want to repair and only have a thirty day warranty it was almost easier to replace and get a new tv with a two year warranty but thanks this post my tv is working perfect funny how one person at vizio will try to get over and another will be honest guess satan got the memo no weapon from against me shall prosper!!!!!!!

Comment

Just got off live chat with Vizio and explained the same problem mentioned in this forum. I was informed that Vizio is sending out a repair technician to fix the TV. I asked for the firmware fix everyone in this forum mentions, but I was told it is a warranty issue and they have to send a repair tech out. It paid to contact Vizio, and the best thing about it is they are U.S. based support.https://www.badcaps.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by kelley View Post
            They sent me, at no cost with prepaid return shipping, a black box with an RGB and USB hookup. I connected to TV and pressed a RESET button (following instructions). Then power it on. The next step was to disconnect this box from the TV. Power it off. Then insert a USB flash drive they sent. Turn on TV and update the firmware. This has fixed the TV.
            You guys should be taking pictures of this device - or sending it to budm so he can reverse engineer it

Seems the tv won't boot due to bad or corrupted eeprom which was corrupted because of a bad firmware update. The RGB device (!) allows the tv to overcome the corrupted eeprom and boot. The tv rewrites the eeprom with good values on power down. Then the new firmware is applied via usb.

More info on the "black box" please. How can an RGB device... ahhh you mean Serial ? Is there a serial port on these televisions ??

Comment

I have done firmware update on SAMSUNG S series monitor through the VGA port (RGB).
              Please post the pictures.
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I have a Samsung for which the micom eep or firmware may be corrupted - hard to say, the power seems to be cycling not allowing the board to boot. Looks like I will need to replace the board so am up for trying anything. Any suggestions ?

Comment

Thank you for your post and update. I did exactly what you did and viola, Vizio tech is on his or her way for a home visit to do the firmware update. My Vizio E320VL is about two years old and it was no problem. I must say their customer service is extremely friendly and cooperative.
                  Thank you ALL for your post.

Comment

I have one of these tvs with the exact same symptoms, i checked psu voltages, all stable, no bulging caps. unplugged everything from the mainboard except power, no change. took the backlight enable wire out from the psu to see if it will stay on without the backlight, still turns off. Ive checked all fuses and regulators i could find on the main board, all were good. I tried swapping in a known good eprom from a e370vl, no change. Im pretty sure its the mainboard/firmware at fault. I called vizio and they refuse to send firmware, saying it was a power board problem. Do you guys also agree that its the mainboard? im ready to order a new one, just wanted a second opinion.

Comment

I got a e320vl off craigslist last week with the same problem. I purchased the eeprom chip off ebay for 8 or 9 bucks and replaced it. TV is now working fine but not remote so I got more work to do. Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem of no remote with this TV. I am going to take back off again and check cables. I replaced eeprom on main without removing board because of the ribbon cables. Have had problems with them before.

Comment

@whiz62: you already reseat the cable between the Remote IR receiver board, also check the DC Voltage on all 3 pins of the IR receiver.
                        Never stop learning

Comment

Thanks for the reply BUDM. I will try and do that this weekend. I really struggled with that eeprom and just wanted to see if it worked. My eyes and steady hand are not what they they used to be but am having a blast at this. Will let you know.

Comment

budm, took back off this morning to check cables and volts. Ribbon cable was not even connected to IR. I didn't even touch that area. Oh well, all is fine.. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Well, thanks for the follow-up.
                              Never stop learning

Comment

I recently had this exact same problem with my Vizio E320VL, so I thought I would share my experience on how I managed to get it fixed by Vizio for free without a warranty. The entire process took only five days, from Monday afternoon to Friday morning.

The first thing I did was contact Vizio support from the live chat (by going to http://support.vizio.com/product/e320vl and clicking Live Chat). Here is the chat log with my personal details redacted:

Visitor: My Vizio E320VL shuts off immediately after showing the VIZIO logo. Research has indicated that this may be a problem with the firmware. I have found a forum post from someone with the same problem, and they said that after contacting support, they were sent an RGB / USB device that fixed the issue.
                                Joelle: Have you contacted Vizio before?
                                Visitor: No
                                Joelle: Here at VIZIO we pride ourselves in providing best in class U.S. based support. I'm happy to assist you today. To better assist you, may I please have the serial number of your VIZIO product, the name of the store you bought it from, and the approximate date of purchase?
                                Visitor: Serial number is <redacted>
                                Visitor: I'm not exactly sure where or when we bought it, it's been a while.
                                Visitor: At least a few years.
                                Joelle: Thank you. It appears that your TV may be stuck on the RGB input. Try these steps:
                                Power on your TV and press the INPUT button on the side of the TV repeatedly and rapidly until you can change it to a different input, such as AV.

If this does not work. Try this: With the TV off, press and hold the input button on the side of the TV for about 5 seconds. The TV should power on and the input list will appear. Let me know if either of these work.
                                Visitor: Neither of these worked. The TV still immediately shuts off after the VIZIO logo. Holding the input button does not turn the TV on.
                                Joelle: Can you please do a power cycle for me?

1- Unplug TV from outlet
                                2- Press and hold in the power button on the side of the TV for 30 seconds (while it is unplugged from the wall)
                                3- Release the power button
                                4- Plug in the TV
                                5- Power the TVon
                                Visitor: This did not work. The TV behaves the same as before.
                                Joelle: It appears that the TV will need a repair. Even though your TV is out of warranty, we will set up this one time courtesy repair to repair the issue that you are having. The repair will have a 90 day warranty from the technician. This does not extend the warranty for the TV. May I have your address please?
                                Visitor: <address redacted>
                                Joelle: If you have any additional questions your case number is <redacted>. Your service request number is <redacted>.
                                Joelle: Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
                                Visitor: Do you know when the technician will visit?
                                Joelle: The repair tech will contact you to schedule the repair.
                                Visitor: Ok, thank you very much.
                                Joelle: Thank you for chatting with VIZIO today. If you have any questions feel free to contact our support team at 1-877-878-4946, online at chat.vizio.com, or email us at techsupp@vizio.com! We would also like you to join VIZIO Fandemonium today to earn points and win prizes only at VIZIOfanzone.com Thanks again, and have a great day!
                                The next day, I received an automated call confirming my serial number, address, etc. The day after that I received a call from Vizio support to set up a time for the repair. Two days later I was contacted by a local technician who visited my house and replaced the main board of the TV for no charge. My Vizio TV is now working like new.

So, if you are having the same problem as the OP, you should definitely try contacting support about this problem. Even if you don't have a warranty like me, they might offer to repair it for free. I can't guarantee you will have the same results, but it's worth a try! This thread helped me get this problem fixed, so I figured maybe my experiences could help someone else.

Comment

Called vizio explained I was having the same problem as everybody else and they told me it was a power problem. Gave me a number to call to get repair. Would not be covered. Also the lady Bianca was not helpful when I asked what was the power problem was.

Comment

Found this forum looking for an answer to the exact same problem as a Vizio VX37L. In case it helps, one of the suggestions by Vizio support (Joelle) in the post by "thein" worked.

I didn't want to repeat the entire quote as it's long, but here's what did it for me -
                                    ---
                                    "Joelle: Try this: With the TV off, press and hold the input button on the side of the TV for about 5 seconds. The TV should power on and the input list will appear."
                                    ---
                                    Just to clarify the above comments a bit more, the TV WAS plugged in. I held down the INPUT button for about 10 seconds. The TV came on right after releasing the INPUT button. As soon as the input list appeared it was on the RGB input (which I never use), so I immediately pressed the INPUT button until switched to the HDMI input I wanted and all seems ok now.

Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Hey just wanted to chime in here. My E320VP was experiencing the same problems listed above by many. I chatted with Vizio Technical Support and they are sending a repair man free of charge to my home to repair the TV.

A new piece of information I can add is the catalyst for how the problem arose (a corrupted eeprom or something). I was changing the input through an IR app on my Samsung Galaxy s5. The input selected within the phone app did not exist on the TV, causing the TV to shut off and begin the problem. I will copy my chat transcript here.

Pre-chat Subject: Known Firmware Problem e320vp
                                      Just a moment...

Kayla: Here at VIZIO we pride ourselves in providing best in class U.S. based support. Have you contacted Vizio in the past?
                                      Me: I have not, no.

Kayla: To better assist you, may I please have the serial number to your VIZIO product, the date of purchase and the name of the store where you purchased it from?

Me: LAUKJAALXXXXXXX
                                      The TV was purchased about two years ago in December
                                      And I believe I purchased it at a Best Buy

Kayla: Best Buy did not sell our TVs at that time.
                                      Would it have been another store?

Me: Then it was a WalMart

Kayla: And what can I assist with today?

Me: I was changing the input
                                      last night
                                      And the television turned off with a PC connected to it.
                                      The television now boots up, displays the VIZIO logo in the center of the screen, then turns off.
                                      I have inspected the power button, and it is not stuck,

Kayla: Can you please do a power cycle for me?

1- Power off TV
                                      2- Unplug TV from outlet
                                      3- Press and hold in the power button on the side of the TV for 30 seconds (while it is unplugged from the wall)
                                      4- Release the power button
                                      5- Plug in the TV into another outlet **
                                      6- Power the TV back on

Me: I will do this again now.

Kayla: Okay.

Me: I did the steps, and the TV's behavior has not changed.

Kayla: Appears that the TV will need a repair. Even though your TV is out of warranty, we will set up this one time courtesy repair to repair the issue that you are having. The repair will have a 90 day warranty from the technician. This does not extend the warranty for the TV. We will be sending parts to a technician in your area. The repair will be completed in the next 5-6 business days. The technician in your area will call you to setup an appointment that works with your schedule. If the TV is wall mounted higher than 5 feet it will need to be taken down before the tech arrives. I will need your physical address to start this process.

Me: XXXX Xxxxxxx Road, Spartanburg, SC XXXXX
                                      And thankyou very much.

Kayla: Your service request number is OSRXXXXXXX. Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Me: When should I expect to be contacted?

Kayla: The tech will contact you within 5-6 business days, if not sooner.

Me: Confirm my contact phone number
                                      631-XXX-XXXX

Kayla: You listed 631-XXX-XXXX.

Me: Can you add a secondary dumber?

Kayla: Yes.

Me: 864-XXX-XXXX

Kayla: I added the secondary number.

Me: Great!

Kayla: Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Me: Thankyou

Kayla: Since we have your email on file you will receive 1 email with your case number and a link to a survey. Please feel free to fill out the survey about your VIZIO experience. Thank you for chatting with VIZIO today. If you have any questions feel free to contact our support team at 1-877-878-4946, online at chat.vizio.com, or email us at techsupp@vizio.com! We would also like you to join VIZIO Fandemonium today to earn points and win prizes only at VIZIOfanzone.com Thanks again, and have a great day!
                                      Thank you for contacting us.
                                      Chat session disconnected.

Comment

I have a similar problem with my JVC LT-42SZ58. It powers up shows a picture for a few seconds then goes blank. cant turn off the tv using the remote or the front panel. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Comment

I was having the same problem. It was a matter of the TV being on the RPG input.

This fixed it:

https://answers.vizio.com/hc/en-us/a...hen-shuts-off-

Comment

Working...
                                          X