How far can i push that ram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far can i push that ram?

Ok, so I want to overclock my E6320. My board is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L and memory modules are both Hynix ddr2 667mhz. For some reason I can't choose multiplier 1 or 1:1, the lowest I can get is 2. So I have the CPU at 2.62 and memory multiplier 2, memory speed 755 I think. I want to push the CPU even higher, but that means changing the memory speed. Is it safe to go 800? I think it is, but i am not sure. I am going to buy 4gb of ddr2 800 ram soon, but for now I have to deal with that 2gb 667 crap. The cpu can do a lot better, these things can hit 3.6-3.7 Also, should I leave the voltage at auto, or go +0.1 or +0.2?
    I can put text here?!

Re: How far can i push that ram?

Are the memory chips on a heatsink? If not I wouldn't go that high, you are pushing them pretty hard and they might cause a blue screen under load. I'd wait for the 800 RAM

Comment

No heatsink Currently CPU at 2.8 and memory at 800. Not afraid of BSOD, since cheap shit no name modules can hit 850-950 http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/foru...s=2&c=27&t=116
      I can put text here?!

Comment

Yeah, this is stabile, Orthos has been running for 8 hours now, all tests passed.
        I can put text here?!

Comment

What does it say on the ram chips ... you can trace that and determine what frequency the hynix chips were designed for.

You should get more Hz by dropping the latency and other parameters and slightly raising the voltage... but I personally wouldn't raise the voltage until I would no longer be able to raise frequency just by lowering timings.

Comment

What does it say on the ram chips ... you can trace that and determine what frequency the hynix chips were designed for.

You should get more Hz by dropping the latency and other parameters and slightly raising the voltage... but I personally wouldn't raise the voltage until I would no longer be able to raise frequency just by lowering timings.

You can use OCCT to test the whole system's stability... often you get memory issues only when cpu is also stressed out: http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download

edit: f@$k if i know how i did two posts... sorry
            Last edited by mariushm; 05-28-2013, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Orthos tests both memory and cpu at the same time.
              I can put text here?!

Comment

The Raspberry Pi's mobile SDRAM is rated at 400MHz IIRC, but I've had it stable up to 600MHz with a 0.2V over volt. SDRAM does have a fairly good overclocking capability.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Going to push the thing to 3ghz on air cooling And the memory is also going higher. Can't wait for the new memory, just one more week
                  I can put text here?!

Comment

Originally posted by DJduck View Post
                    Ok, so I want to overclock my E6320. My board is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L and memory modules are both Hynix ddr2 667mhz. For some reason I can't choose multiplier 1 or 1:1, the lowest I can get is 2. So I have the CPU at 2.62 and memory multiplier 2, memory speed 755 I think. I want to push the CPU even higher, but that means changing the memory speed. Is it safe to go 800? I think it is, but i am not sure. I am going to buy 4gb of ddr2 800 ram soon, but for now I have to deal with that 2gb 667 crap. The cpu can do a lot better, these things can hit 3.6-3.7 Also, should I leave the voltage at auto, or go +0.1 or +0.2?
                    Is it a Wolfdale? Wolfdale is 45nm. Wolfdales easily hit 3.6 and probably 3.8.

A Conroe (65nm) probably requires 1.4+ V for 3.6. Likely 1.5 V for 3.7 or 3.8.

Intel's spec is max at 1.5 V for Conroe and max at 1.36 V for Wolfdale.
                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-01-2013, 06:53 PM.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

this shud be his cpu here. its a 1.87 ghz conroe with 4mb of l2 cache.

this kinda reminds me of the ol' ddr1 days as well when almost all ddr333 modules could overclock to ddr400 easily and without problems.

regarding the use of heatspreaders or lack thereof, it has been said in numerous articles around the web that ram heatspreaders are just for aesthetics and dont really affect the overclock or reliability of your ram. ddr2 rams only have a tdp of around 4 watts so they shud be fine.

also, do note that 2gb sticks *might* be less overclockable than 1gb sticks since u intend to push the cpu to 3ghz which requires at least running the ram at 858mhz.

but why are u afraid of overclocking your memory as far as it will go? overclocking is not for the faint hearted. u have the tools to actually test if your overclocked ram is stable so why not? tho actually, u shud run a few passes of memtest #5 FIRST to see if the ram is stable. in rare instances, corrupted ram can brick your os. so u shud run a memtest off optical or external storage that doesnt need booting the hard drive os... if it can pass test #5 for several passes then its usually safe to boot the os and run orthos to double confirm stability.

there might also be another tool u can use in windows to test your ram. its called HCI Memtest. u can also use that to test your ram inside windows.

Comment

Well, since i have had the new OCZ memory for a while now, and it runs at stock 800 with the cpu @ 2.8 with 1.35v, all stabile. One thing that kind of bugs me is that the old memory clocked to 800 and ran cool without any heatsinks, but the new ones run at 800 stock with heatspreaders and get pretty toasty under load for some time. But its not a big deal, i just put a 120mm fan to blow over the memory and the chipset heatsink, keeps the thing running cool
                        Last edited by DJduck; 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM.
                        I can put text here?!

Comment

Working...
                        X