Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ugh! Hate this

Fixing someones computer for them.

It was a compaq with a 'sploded 80gig seagate 7200.7. Replaced with 160gb WDC, and replaced bestec atx-250-12Z with seasonic 300w.

Now I need to make a xp disk to install with it. I don't have a cd writer for this computer, so I said no big deal, I will just use the cd writer than is in that compaq real quick.

Ha ha ha, the thing is broken! Real nice, button dosen't respond, manually opening and putting a cd in dosen't work. Windows sees it as a cd-rw and installs drivers. Grrr....SOL as far as cd-rw's go around here.

Re: ugh! Hate this

Newegg is your friend. This is why I keep spare parts and OS CD's laying around.

Just tell 'em it'll be sometime later on next week.
    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

That reminds me of my personal laptop. Got it on the cheap for $40.00 bucks. It has all the usual dead battery issues that old lappys have. Well it took hours on the phone with a Dell Tech? to get the bios and hard drive passwords removed. So next I sit down to reprogram the thing and find that the DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive is goofy. It can read DVD's fine but has problems with many CD's. Don't have any of these lappy drives around so I'm thinking that I'm screwed. Well it did read the Dell Xp Home install disk Thank God...I have all my other progies backed up on DVD so the job got done. One of the guys here sent me a good DVD/CD-R for so I'm thinking that everything is good, and it was for a week or so. I fired it up one day but I didn't notice that the DVD drive wasn't pushed all the way into the lappy case. This roached the new drive for me. Now the new one can't read anything! I did pick up another one a few weeks ago. I got to put that thing in and see if it works one day soon.
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

thats why i use linux. usb bootable, no damn license keys, free, faster, no viruses, more secur, free software... the list goes on and on. who needs an oem c when you have a linux cd?
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I get infinite windows (all versions from DOS to win7) through my brother's msdn account.

Comment

no offnce, but windows sucks, btw. too limited and bloated, and unsecure. i liked winows at one point but found linux and never turned back. almost any thing winows can do linux can do better. i guarantee it. test me, i dare you.
            sigpic

Comment

370forlife,

I always buy new burner drives and on the *stable* KNOWN working system and don't mess with PC with junk parts unless you are really good and rebuilt the board and PSU with new caps so you can depend on it when needed.

DVD burners are now 25 to 45 new with own burning software on dvd disc included (used to be on CD.)

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Don't get cocky with your Linux there, ratdude. It has drawbacks just like Windows does, and no it can't do everything Windows can, just like Windows can't do everything Linux can.

Comment

dang, why do all 2 of the HL-storage dvdrom/cdrw drives i bought at Purdue university's surples store not work worth a damn? they were clean and i bet they saw littles use as they were working pulls. is HL a bad brand? a have a 3rd that looks identical but is a samsung. same symptoms being not always burning without errors, not being bootable half the time (i checked bios), slow burning ever though i think its a 52x cd burner. 1 was used in a p3 system with a delta 300w psu and a meager vid card, one on a p4 presscot 630 with delta 350w and int. graphics (my HL cd-rw drive form goodwill runs fine other than the button being finicky, but mysteriously the other drives do it on that specific system), the last in a dell p4 northwood 2.4 dell with meager graphics and a hipro 250w made with teapo-runs stable otherwise.

as for lite-on, i might have had one die on me, but it was 4 years old and was used a LOT. it might be okay and just be a bad cable, used in a hp p4 2.8 ht northwood with meagerish graphics and a delta 230w psu.
                  sigpic

Comment

Nice, ignored the Linux issue there. Don't get me wrong, I love Linux, but saying it is better than Windows in every way possible is just not correct.

It's whatever floats your boat. Personally, I like XP because it just WORKS. But to each his own. Don't talk shit on Windows just because you prefer Linux.

So how about that dare you offered, Ratdude? I'll take you up on that challenge. Can you tell me how to get Left 4 Dead running smoothly (FPS > 30-40) under WINE in Linux? or any DirectX 10 game for that matter? Isn't Linux better than Windows in every way possible, and unless the laws of physics were changed recently, gaming falls under the category "everything"?

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
                      Don't get cocky with your Linux there, ratdude. It has drawbacks just like Windows does, and no it can't do everything Windows can, just like Windows can't do everything Linux can.
                      it has LESS drawbacks. lets see:

for linux:
                      1. some devices unsupported even with open source reverse-enginnered generic drivers
                      2. no mac software comp. layer/emulator that i know of
                      3. not all windows apps work with wine
                      4. not offered by as many stores/coputer OEMS- but dell, ibm, hp, system76 make linux models now
                      5. some specialty apps aka smartboard, streets/maps, etc. not existant in a native linux form

for windows:
                      1. security so poor it needs additional software to keep it stable
                      2. too many avaible crappy apps that do the same thing, but poorly
                      3. co$tly, with antivirus and the os included
                      4. signifigantly slower
                      5. not open source so no personal LEGAL editing of the OS
                      6. with vista, too many steps to complete a simple task, like 8 steps to change wallpaper
                      7. not as frequently updated- ubuntu gets a new release every 6 monthes while windows does every 2-5 years
                      8. no file system with journaling
                      9. less drivers built in
                      10. update app based on a shitty web browser, not a separate program
                      11. not as versitile- linux is run on pc's, tv's *, cellphones, ipods**,some mpy players, game systems, ppc macs. windows: pc's, a few cell phones, a few game systems. *-embedded, **- aftermarket only
                      12. less avaible gui's: windows has default and ailen gui, linux has xfce, gnome kde, and a couple others i forgot the names of
                      13. no mac comp. layer/emulator (same with linux)
                      14. no linux comp. layer/emulator
                      15. above again since linux at least has a window comp. layer however patchy it is

they are the same:
                      • choice of free and non-free apps
                      • dual-bootable to different extents
                      • can read each other's file sytems given you have the right apps.
                      • neither are perfect

thats how i see it. i like free. i like choice. i like secure.
                      sigpic

Comment

You got that right WLG. Windows just works. What more could you ask for? The only Linux based thing that I have played with is Ubuntu. My over all feeling was why should I have to try and make this Ubuntu thing work right when I have Xp on the other drive that works right everytime. Linux does have its uses but on a desktop PC Xp rules. It automatic updates make life easy too. Why should I have to go looking for patches when the OS its self can do that for me. I'm sticking with Xp on my desktops, and Lappy. I don't have any servers here so I don't need Linux yet.
                        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                        Rod Serling

Comment

nope, did not ignore due to me typing post before you posted.

idk about that with wine- did you look it up here?

linux has good game if you look past boxed crap.

some good ones, all free and linux native.

-tremulous- very nice first person shooter, good for lan parties (no AI players), so lightweight it runs on an eee pc perfectly, also available for mac and windows so everybody can join in

-TORCS- racing simulator. graphix suck a bit, but has tons of cars and tons of courses. i would reccomend at least a faster p4/athlon 64 to run it well. has analog support for joysticks/gpads/wheels

foobillard- very nice pool simulator, good 3d, lightweight, has LAN support, available for windows too, uses mouse and shift key for actions, includes 8ball, 9ball, snooker, and carambol, different table styles and sizes, different AI difficulties. i use this a lot

there are tins of others but i can only type so much. also check the link i gave for wine compatible games.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
                            You got that right WLG. Windows just works. What more could you ask for? The only Linux based thing that I have played with is Ubuntu. My over all feeling was why should I have to try and make this Ubuntu thing work right when I have Xp on the other drive that works right everytime. Linux does have its uses but on a desktop PC Xp rules. It automatic updates make life easy too. Why should I have to go looking for patches when the OS its self can do that for me. I'm sticking with Xp on my desktops, and Lappy. I don't have any servers here so I don't need Linux yet.
                            until you need a fresh copy and have to pay a ton just for a disc of data. also viruses are no fun and windows gets bloated fast. besides, ubuntu 9.04 is as fast as clean install of xp but newer than vista. remember that.

why did ubuntu not work? it should have. assuming the drive was good, that is.
                            sigpic

Comment

You didn't answer my question. You said Linux can do anything Windows can do but better. But let's digress.

for windows:
                              security so poor it needs additional software to keep it stable
                              What? What is this "additional software" you speak of? "Keep it stable"? I routinely leave my XP machines on for weeks at a time with nary a hitch, seems to run fairly "stable" to me.

too many avaible crappy apps that do the same thing, but poorly
                              Choice is a bad thing? Also, I can list off five different JPEG viewers for Linux off the top of my head.
                              co$tly, with antivirus and the os included
                              isohunt.com. Also plenty of free AV apps, which aren't really necessary if you know what you're doing.
                              signifigantly slower
                              I want proof.
                              not open source so no personal LEGAL editing of the OS
                              Who gives a fuck?
                              with vista, too many steps to complete a simple task, like 8 steps to change wallpaper
                              explain to me, step by step, how to do something as simple as gaining admin (root) access in Ubuntu outside of Terminal.
                              not as frequently updated- ubuntu gets a new release every 6 monthes while windows does every 2-5 years
                              It's called Windows Update son.
                              no file system with journaling
                              I'll give you that
                              less drivers built in
                              Which you can easily find on Google and install in under a minute. No software hacking, Terminal, or installer file editing bullshit.
                              update app based on a shitty web browser, not a separate program
                              No, no, and no. Windows Update through IE and automatic updates are two separate ways of getting updated.
                              not as versitile- linux is run on pc's, tv's *, cellphones, ipods**,some mpy players, game systems, ppc macs. windows: pc's, a few cell phones, a few game systems. *-embedded, **- aftermarket only
                              And?? Why does whether or not your OS runs on game systems affect its usability on your PC?
                              less avaible gui's: windows has default and ailen gui, linux has xfce, gnome kde, and a couple others i forgot the names of
                              Plenty of skinning apps and aftermarket UI's for Windows out there. But they suck as bad as KDE does.
                              no mac comp. layer/emulator (same with linux)
                              no linux comp. layer/emulator

If I wanted to run something other than Windows on my machine, I would install it on a separate partition and boot into it.
                              above again since linux at least has a window comp. layer however patchy it is
                              See above. Also, WINE blows.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                nope, did not ignore due to me typing post before you posted.

idk about that with wine- did you look it up here?

linux has good game if you look past boxed crap.

some good ones, all free and linux native.

-tremulous- very nice first person shooter, good for lan parties (no AI players), so lightweight it runs on an eee pc perfectly, also available for mac and windows so everybody can join in

-TORCS- racing simulator. graphix suck a bit, but has tons of cars and tons of courses. i would reccomend at least a faster p4/athlon 64 to run it well. has analog support for joysticks/gpads/wheels

foobillard- very nice pool simulator, good 3d, lightweight, has LAN support, available for windows too, uses mouse and shift key for actions, includes 8ball, 9ball, snooker, and carambol, different table styles and sizes, different AI difficulties. i use this a lot

there are tins of others but i can only type so much. also check the link i gave for wine compatible games.
                                Good games?!?!?! OH YEAH GUYS. WHY WOULD I WANT TO PLAY BIOSHOCK, LEFT 4 DEAD, WORLD IN CRISIS, STALKER, GTA4, SPORE, COD4, CRYSIS, OR ANY OF THAT "BOXED CRAP" WHEN I CAN PLAY A SUBPAR RACING SIMULATOR ON MY UBUNTU MACHINE?? LOLOLOL GO LINUX!!!

Comment

Now that the thread is completely off topic...

Um... --cough--

http://appdb.winehq.org/

Edit: After cleaning off XP machine #52768 with viruses, Norton, etc, I can't help but think some of my customers would be better off with Linux. All they do is email, internet and other basic things. It would have probably saved them money (some of which I now have.)

I'm going to go play SuperTux now.
                                  Last edited by acstech; 08-08-2009, 06:38 PM.
                                  A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

"You didn't answer my question. You said Linux can do anything Windows can do but better. But let's digress."

i said ALMOST anything. and if i did not, then forgive me on that.

"for windows:
                                    security so poor it needs additional software to keep it stable
                                    What? What is this "additional software" you speak of? "Keep it stable"? I routinely leave my XP machines on for weeks at a time with nary a hitch, seems to run fairly "stable" to me."

i mean antivirus. you let an xp box sit no av and it will be infected within a month. unless you diable any internet or networking. which is pointless.

"too many avaible crappy apps that do the same thing, but poorly
                                    Choice is a bad thing? Also, I can list off five different JPEG viewers for Linux off the top of my head."

i mean 5 zillion apps which half of which are adware. i meand 20 apps just to covert a wma to an mp3, and most of them are a pain to use. choice is good when the apps are functional and not filled with ads and shit.

"co$tly, with antivirus and the os included
                                    isohunt.com. Also plenty of free AV apps, which aren't really necessary if you know what you're doing."

ok, you got me on the av, but pirating is ILLEGAL! we are assumong we are not criminals here.

"signifigantly slower
                                    I want proof."

well, i was mainly referring to vista. if you know a person who can run vista decently on a p3 1ghz, then you win. no chops or mods. you can run ubuntu on a p3 1ghz no problem.

"not open source so no personal LEGAL editing of the OS
                                    Who gives a fuck?"

what if you or someone you know figured out how to make it BETTER? with windows, too bad! with linux, you can do so and if it works, then you send your work to the makers of your distro so everybody gets the benefit.

"with vista, too many steps to complete a simple task, like 8 steps to change wallpaper
                                    explain to me, step by step, how to do something as simple as gaining admin (root) access in Ubuntu outside of Terminal."

on ubuntu, right click on your applications button. select edit menus

go down to the system tools tree and check off "root terminal". it is actually not a terminal, but a quick app that will switch you to root just by going to applications-system tools-root terminal. never saw that coming, eh?

"not as frequently updated- ubuntu gets a new release every 6 monthes while windows does every 2-5 years
                                    It's called Windows Update son."

no, i mean xp vs vista=8.10 vs 9.04. ubuntu has an update manager, duh. please compare apples to apples here (no mac pun intended)

"no file system with journaling
                                    I'll give you that"

make it 2 file systems for linux with this, ext3 and recently, ext4. there was supposed to be WIN FS for win. 7, which was journaling but they went back to ntfs because it was a poor attempt.

"less drivers built in
                                    Which you can easily find on Google and install in under a minute. No software hacking, Terminal, or installer file editing bullshit."

since ubuntu is so up to date you only have to do that for stuff made yesterday. wait 6 monthes on stuff from nvidia/via/ati and you will be set no terminal. good idea to wait anyway so hardware flaws/ quality issues can start to surface before you buy.

"update app based on a shitty web browser, not a separate program
                                    No, no, and no. Windows Update through IE and automatic updates are two separate ways of getting updated."

good point. my bad there, it was only until recently my parents started xp. they used 2000 before. 2000 only has windows update so i am used ti that only.

"not as versitile- linux is run on pc's, tv's *, cellphones, ipods**,some mpy players, game systems, ppc macs. windows: pc's, a few cell phones, a few game systems. *-embedded, **- aftermarket only
                                    And?? Why does whether or not your OS runs on game systems affect its usability on your PC?"

it means that if the pc platform switched to something not x86 or x86-64 that linux will have a better chance of supporting it first.

"less avaible gui's: windows has default and ailen gui, linux has xfce, gnome kde, and a couple others i forgot the names of
                                    Plenty of skinning apps and aftermarket UI's for Windows out there. But they suck as bad as KDE does.

yes i know kde is krap. but thats one out of 4 or 5 i have heard of. a skin is not really a gui, but ill count it since windows .exe or bust.

"no mac comp. layer/emulator (same with linux)
                                    no linux comp. layer/emulator

If I wanted to run something other than Windows on my machine, I would install it on a separate partition and boot into it."

i mean apps only not a whole os. rebooting just to do one thing is a waste. at least we have the hibernate option.

"above again since linux at least has a window comp. layer however patchy it is
                                    See above. Also, WINE blows."

wine is better than nothing at all. it's still a work in progress.
                                    sigpic

Comment

The Power Users here know that Linux has its place just as windows does. I'm not a Power User. I want my OS to work right out of the box. Lets take quick look at my history of windows use.
                                      1. Windows 3.11
                                      Was good from what I remember of it. Hated installing the DOS 6.22 upgrade.
                                      2. Windows 95
                                      A whole new Country, and it works! So Cool! Now even my Dad can run a PC! Thanks Microsoft...
                                      3. Windows 98SE
                                      Just like 95 only much better! Its starting to feel like my PC is getting smart now. Lots of nice files and things for me to mess up and get the famous BSOD.
                                      3. Windows ME
                                      Unlike most people I loved it. When MS killed it I was so sad. Yes it had memory issues. System restore never worked. It was still a whole new universe with even more files for me to mess up and BSOD. I'm working on putting together and old AMD K6/2 450Mhz system right now. It will be a dual boot with Xp one drive and ME on the other.
                                      4. Windows 2000
                                      Don't know about this one. I never used it.
                                      5. Windows Xp Pro Corp, Home, Media Center
                                      Mr. Bill has done went and built me a Starship!
                                      The best OS ever. No more BSOD's if I leave the system files protected...LOL Xp can do everything I need to do and so much more. System restore works too!
                                      6. Windows Vista
                                      I could deal with it if I had no choice but I would rather have my Xp. That thing in it that keeps asking you if you really want to do something bugs me to no end.
                                      7. Windows Se7en
                                      Tried it. Didn't like it. Its too new for all my old hardware. Maybe on a new PC it would have been better.
                                      Last edited by Junk Parts; 08-08-2009, 07:00 PM. Reason: add
                                      Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Linux is great - I use Ubuntu and Fedora. BUT, when it comes to flight simulation, I have never seen Linux do a good job on the two latest Microsoft flight simulator releases. Yes, I know that Linux has a flight sim program called FlightGear. I have tried it, and I don't think it comes up to where Microsoft Flight Simulator is. I like the Microsoft flight simulator much better, and Linux won't run it properly.
                                        Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Working...
                                        X