Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird gets a new case

Heading over in a bit to pick up this beauty:

I don't really know why I'm announcing this, other than the fact that I saw a review for this on Newegg by "KeriJane". Would that be OUR KeriJane?

Re: Weird gets a new case

What is it?
    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129018

Comment

Got the case. It's sitting downstairs, hidden in the closet until my parents go to sleep and I can sneak it into my room. Yes, at only six months to eighteen, with a job of my own, I still have to sneak stuff I buy into the house .

It said on the sticker that it was $99.99, and when I got to the register it was actually $69.90. This seems to happen a lot at Fry's, god bless their souls. Picked up a new heatsink for my P4 with the extra money I saved.
        Last edited by weirdlookinguy; 07-30-2009, 10:44 PM.

Comment

its an antec SOLO case.... I have 4 of them... They're great cases. Easy to work on, heavy gauge steel, and they breathe very well. Good choice.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Everything's in. Now to run Prime95 overnight and check temps in the morning . I put two 92mm fans sucking air in at the front and a 120mm fan (the included one) running slowly blowing air out the back.

Comment

i put 500 in monopoly money in the betting pool. that WAS kerijane, she once referenced owning one i thought.

sweet case, btw. i still like the foxconn out of my 99 dollar goodwill special. and my chieftec with 4 recycled power supply fans for cooling. some slices here and there and it works! allowed me to use the worlds shittyist cpucooler on a pIII 800 and still overclock! that was awesome!
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

look at the first review on that newegg page.
                Reviewed By: KeriJane on 7/17/2006
                Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 week to 1 month

Comment

Photo shoot time!

There she is, just being sexy:

Sitting at the desktop:

Just being sexy again. You can see my favorite screensaver running:

We have my new Antec Solo (stuffed with the AcBel and the Intel board), my Dec-07 LG 19", my favorite keyboard, and a generic Logitech mouse that does the job just fine. The LG is one of my favorite pieces of kit - great image.

Also, take a look at the new temps. This is after running all night:

Comment

Hi weirlookinguy

Yes, that would be me.
                    Guilty as charged.

The Solo is a pretty decent case from Antec. The weak points over time is that Power switch arrangement and that the front panel ports were not HD Audio compatible.

It cools well and has those nice rubber bushings to dampen drive noise.
                    A pair of 92mm fans on the front are best wired to 5v for silence.

In the end I switched to a Lain-Li case because the Solo got pretty cramped with 5 hard drives, (1 x 5.25" removable) 2 DVD burners, an ATI x1900, a capture card and an abit AW-9. It functioned well and actually kept everything cool with little noise but was just too crowded for my loaded NLE system.

Enjoy!
                    Keri
                    The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

I think the audio thing has been rectified in the newer revisions. On mine it had two connectors, one labeled AC97 and one labeled HD AUDIO. My board has HD Audio, and the front panel connectors refused to work with the AC97 connector plugged in to my board but work great with the HD AUDIO connector plugged in.

EDIT: Hey btw, what do you mean about the power button? It feels a little cheesy on mine, is it going to break later on?

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane
                        Hi weirlookinguy

Yes, that would be me.
                        Guilty as charged.

Keri
                        BUSTED!

2 92mm fans sounds a bit wide. are they side by side or one above the other? my foxconn has 2 80mm fans side by side, by the 2 lower drive trays. keeps 2 high-speed wd caviar blue drives cool.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Two 92's, stacked vertically, under the drive slots, directly in front of the four HDD bays. They came with a stock air filter so you won't get dust all over your HDD's.

On a cool night...

HDD (WD SATA) runs at 26C.
                          Ambient case temp is 34C.
                          CPU hits about 49C max.
                          Casing on the AcBel is lukewarm at best
                          Exhaust from the AcBel is just a bit warm.

I'm loving this case Also, six days counting since the resolder job on the motherboard, and it hasn't given me any fail-to-post crap ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
                            I think the audio thing has been rectified in the newer revisions. On mine it had two connectors, one labeled AC97 and one labeled HD AUDIO. My board has HD Audio, and the front panel connectors refused to work with the AC97 connector plugged in to my board but work great with the HD AUDIO connector plugged in.

EDIT: Hey btw, what do you mean about the power button? It feels a little cheesy on mine, is it going to break later on?
                            Hi weirdlookinguy

I'm glad to hear they finally got out of the stone age on the front panel ports.

And, yes, the Power Switch is a bit cheesy. In particular make sure that the front panel is all the way "down" when you swing it shut or else the switch doesn't line up with the button and may break. As I recall, it is also prone to interference from the upper thumbscrew that holds the front fan/air filter thing in place.
                            This is the last Power Switch in the world that you want to press hard.
                            If it sticks or doesn't work, open the front panel and find out why.
                            No, I didn't break mine but I saw tons of potential for breakage.

Have Fun,
                            Enjoy the great cooling and low noise,
                            Keri
                            The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Working...
                            X