At,ata, Pata,sata ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At,ata, Pata,sata ????

Junk just may have to buy a new PC soon. All of Junks PC's are Junk! It looks like all the world is SATA now, and Junk is still on the PATA/IDE whatever interface. Not long ago every parts dealer had pages of PATA DVD burners for sale. Now you are lucky if they carry one or two PATA units.
    Maybe Junk will just find a newer Dell mobo, and PSU, and shove it in this Dension 4550 box. With Dell this never works out right, but its worth a look anyway. Maybe I'll just pick me out a newer complete Dell POS at Vernon's shop today and be done with it....I can park this old 4550 under my wifes desk for her &%$%&# games. And people wonder why I drink so much beer! LOL
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: At,ata, Pata,sata ????

you can find stuff online that is pata. ebay is your friend. so is geeks.com and overstock.com. maybe even buy.com. if you like refurbs, thy techforless.com.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

if she likes games then she should try ubuntu. comes with a ton pre installed with a few more tons available for installation. should run faster and save you money.
      sigpic

Comment

HAve Ubuntu here on disk. I'm a dumb ass and I could never get it to work right for me. It would only see one DVD drive, and I didn't know how to get online with it. My wife also belongs to some sort of game club on an AOL site. She says that she has over a thousand games in her folder there. As far as Fleabay goes I've never had any luck there. Tried to get a dvd drive for the laptop. Everytime during the last seconds some robot would bid it right up to $59.99
        Last edited by Junk Parts; 07-28-2009, 11:10 AM. Reason: add
        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
        Rod Serling

Comment

Newegg still has tons of ide hard drives and cd/dvd drives.

$20-maxtor 40gig ide ata133 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144507)

all other ide hard drives: (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Ultra%20ATA100)

Comment

try ubuntu 9.04. really fast and easy to set up.
            sigpic

Comment

Just got another POS Hp and hour ago. It has a maybe dead DVD ROM drive, and the hard disc is too small. Somebody put Xp Pro on it and there isn't enough HD space left for the system to start up. Just may slam some parts in it later and give ubuntu a try again. Also got a test drive to work on the Hell with. It a BenQ....LOL Just so it works is all I care about right now. Is Ubuntu still free??? I'm about to go looking to download v9.04.
              Last edited by Junk Parts; 07-28-2009, 12:35 PM. Reason: add
              Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

ubuntu will always be free... it is under the gnu public license. it is their best work.
                sigpic

Comment

They should have PATA dvd burners still. Even locally in stores like microcenter or frys. Thats probably what most people use the single ide channel on their boards for.

If you want to spend any money, stay away from OEM. Its crippled and you get less for more. Buy a board and parts online. I don't think I even spent $300 on everything I just bought. I needed specific things; if I was going for something workable I could have bought a mini board combo and spent less than 1/2.

Comment

Well that BenQ was no good. Now its absolutely no good because I flashed it with the Wrong Firmware. I flashed it as a LiteOn which it could well have been but not this one. Its made by Philips! Its a brick now unless I can find the original BenQ/Philips LG12 Firmware again for this DH 16W1p thing, Well it couldn't see a DVD anyway. Nothing Lost.
                    Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

i have 3 cd-rom drives staring me down on my bookshelf. one is a 48x out of an hp-compaq (black), one is a 48x i mistook for an 8x (beige faceplate). the last is an asus 50x out of my 99 dollar special. none are burners or have dvd capabilities.

what i usually do is (all but one of my desktops is pata based) have:
                      • have one drive a dvd-rom and the other a cd burner
                      • have a dvdrom/cd-rw and a high speed reader
                      • same as above only with a dvd burner
                      • have a dvdrom/cd-rw with a high speed cd-rw
                      • same as above only with a dvd-burner

thats why i keep cdrom drives 40x and up. ones that work that is. people have drive like that REALLY cheap online/in small shops... most dvd-+rw drives are somewhat slow readers/cd-rw. or the ones i have have been. i probably cannot sell/give away one of mine since my mom is a real stickler about that kind of thing.
                      sigpic

Comment

Not to worry I need a DVD burner anyway.
                        Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Here is the way I set up. I don't use CDR's to often but I should because I'm costing myself money using blank DVD's for every little thing.

I have two DVD burners in my PC on the secondary PATA/IDE.
                          D drive is only used to burn movies to blank DVD's, and to reprogram
                          the PC when needed.

E drive is used to read DVD's to be burnt on D drive. E is also used for
                          viewing movies, playing music and games. I also use E to burn most of my data discs.
                          Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

i cant afford 2 dvdrw drives per pc. i rarely burn dvds.
                            sigpic

Comment

oh, geep6 was selling a couple in the for sale/trade section.
                              sigpic

Comment

I can't stress this enough, BUY NEW burner! Data too important. Not liteon. They lasted 1 year no matter how much I use. I now use LG burners.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Don't worry Wizzard the replacements will be brand new. I use them too hard to tust some used things. I have eight or so movies waiting to be copied right now...LOL. I guess this will be the "burn in" for the new drives when I get them.
                                  Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

i bought a bunch of the 19.99 with free shipping sonys from the egg.they seem to be samsungs.
                                    all are still running perfect after a year.
                                    got some tsst dell pulls from new boxes a while back.$15 ea.
                                    they are fine too.

Comment

i buy used, because im cheap. never had a liteon die on me. ever.

i still dont see having 2 dvd burners. id use one and one of somthing else. faster that way. id also use cd-r to save money.
                                      sigpic

Comment

I used liteon for 2 years all went pfft. Mechanicals still worked, but laser diode faded away too quickly and always 1 year. Every time you reboot, turn PC on also close and open the tray, the laser activates. That wears out and I did not abuse them like a mantron burning session. Typical run was like 1 or 2 CD-Rs every one week or so before flash sticks became inexpensive enough to own.

*Define* cheap. Most optical drives are around 25-40 these days. And that's a good OEM LG DVD burner with slip of a disc for burning software. PATA or SATA doesn't change the price much.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Working...
                                        X