Evga motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evga motherboard

Hello, i own a EVGA X58 SLI LE motherboard that i bought from ebay as untested/not working for cheap.

For my surprise it was working and I've flashed the latest bios, after that i've modded the board so it would work with dual QPI cpu's aka cheap hexacores

I've followed this diagram:

It was fairly easy just shorting a couple of pads...inserted a xeon hexacore and it fired at first try, it was all good till I've tried to overclock the cpu the board doesn't adjust the vcore regardless of the value i dial in on the bios it will always be@stock voltage, but it does compensate for LLC and even adjust stock voltage for different cpu's.

The board does have one cap in bad condition but i don't think this could be causing this issue.

Anyone have an idea of what could be the culprit?

Thanks

Re: Evga motherboard

get cpu datasheets from intel.
    vcore is set by reading a value from a pin on the cpu - maybe it's a different pin on your new cpu type.

Comment

Even with supported CPU's it doesn't adjust vcore. Unfortunately i never tested it before modding, maybe it's time to put it back to stock and start from there.

Comment

actually getting the datasheets from intel is to let u know which pin to short to vss or to tape up to do a stock vcore mod since it doesnt seem to work when u modify the vcore voltage in the bios. messing with the vid pins is the only way to change the cpu voltage.

Comment

well before going into something that extreme i would rather try to make it work "properly".

What could cause a motherboard to not adjust vcore, i mean any other setting i change in the bios is working just fine.

Comment

maybe it cant read the vcore value from the cpu because of a fault.
            if you know which pin it is, you can trace it.
            the pin has a resistance on it btw, so it must be feeding into an analog2digital convertor or an i/o chip with one.

Comment

I'm sure it reads Vcore from the CPU - he said he properly detects Vcore of all CPUs he tested. I would rather suspect a BIOS issue.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

could be bios, it wont have the microcode & related crap for the new cpu's
                could also be a side effect of shorting stuff on the board.

Comment

From EVGA site:

"* Westmere processors are only supported natively on the X58 SLI3, FTW3, and Classified3 Models. A product modification may be needed for older models.
                  ** Latest BIOS update is necessary to run"

It should be working there plenty of boards just like these running happily hexacore xeons.

Tomorrow i will unshort the pads reflash the bios and see if i can overclock a single QPI 45nm chip.

Comment

one last thing u can try is to measure the vcore output on the legs of the capacitors underneath the board. if u dial in an increased vcore but the bios sensor reading doesnt reflect it but the multimeter does, then its faulty mobo sensors. so thats to rule out or confirm if your mobo sensors are working or not.

i've had buggy mobo sensors complaining of only 10.88V on the 12v rail but when i measure it with a multimeter, its fine at 12.04v. system is perfectly stable and completed all stress tests i could throw at it. fan rpm readings were all at their normal proper rpms that they should be spinning at. voltage of the fan headers as measured with a multimeter also showed 11.96v. all this confirms the mobo sensors for the 12v line are borked.

Comment

This motherboard actually comes with pads for measuring with a multimeter... vcore, pll, etc...It's not working at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X