Arer these caps ok to go into PSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arer these caps ok to go into PSU?

So ive got an old PVR here which looks to have bad caps in the power supply side. Chang / G-Luxon with a few bloated.

So I have tried to be proactive instead of begging others to do the help right away and have put together a list from farnell of some with matching specs, but im pretty sure Ive not chosen wisely on a few. I think the FR series ones will be fine but some of the others not so.

1800637 4 1000UF, 16V, RAD EEUFR1C102
    1800671 2 1000UF, 35V, RAD EEUFR1V102
    1907238 1 1000UF, 25V, RAD EEUFR1E102
    1800677 1 100UF, 50V, RAD EEUFR1H101
    1907235 5 100UF, 25V, RAD EEUFR1E101
    9696652 5 47UF, 50V, RAD ECEA1HN470U
    8767483 1 10UF, 63V, RAD ECA1JAM100X
    8767246 1 47UF, 35V, RAD ECA1VAM470X

So the bottom three don't look so good? the uf/v and size of them all are matching or close enough. Just not sure if the bottom 3 are suitable for power supply? A couple look to have no polarity too which I didn't notice at first.
    Last edited by mikay786; 08-31-2015, 07:47 PM.

Re: Arer these caps ok to go into PSU?

use FR for all of them.

Comment

If FR is not available in the available uF or V or size, try FM series. If no FM, then go to FC.

PS. Just make sure your PVR is discharged. See my experience with one.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41319
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
        So I have tried to be proactive instead of begging others to do the help right away
        Questions framed like yours will result in many more people likely to help you.

So refreshing rather than the usual

Help me. xyz is not working, I have no clue what to do. Urgent.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          Help me. xyz is not working, I have no clue what to do. Urgent.
          To be fair, some of those people are clueless and have no idea where to start. They just stumbled on the forum through Google, don't know anything about electronics, and think other people have some instant and magical knowledge of their exact problem...
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

if it's like that then i'd solder a 1meg resistor across it - just make sure it's rated for 400v minimum.

Comment

If FR is not available in the available uF or V or size, try FM series. If no FM, then go to FC.

Yea I was surprised how much charge it had stored, I think it was 244v I measured. So just shorted it out with a screw driver and got a little mini spark.

I forgot to check forum in morning and just went ahead and picked up the above listed caps! Isnt a issue as I can just change the FR ones for the time being and order some others.

But I wanted to ask could I get away with using

9696652 5 47UF, 50V, RAD ECEA1HN470U
              8767483 1 10UF, 63V, RAD ECA1JAM100X
              8767246 1 47UF, 35V, RAD ECA1VAM470X

Cant be any worse than the chang and teapo's. Its free delivery so can just order some others if they are not suitable.

Comment

dont discharge large caps by shorting, you can damage them internally.
                the wires inside arent thick enough for the current some can hold.

Comment

just changed over the FR ones and we have life. Might not bother doing the other little ones.

Comment

good.
                    what make / model is it btw - most dont have many caps in the psu anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X