Kenwood subwoofer amp dead with fuse blown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenwood subwoofer amp dead with fuse blown

I have a kenwood sw-38ht that has stopped working with a blown fuse. i tried another fuse and with no input or output connected it blew instantly when i turned it on.

i looked the components over and do not see any damaged electronics. i checked resistance between positive and negative coming out of the bridge rectifier and it shows .2ohm. i have desoldered the bridge rectifier to be sure it was not shorted.

do you think it is the TDA7293V that has gone bad? would it be worth replacing, it is a fairly old amp.

attached is service manual, can pull the camera out if you want pics.
    Attached Files

Re: Kenwood subwoofer amp dead with fuse blown

maybe - desolder that chip and meter it again.
    as to if it's worth it - it depends on the cost of the chip - but probably it's well worth it.

Comment

i found it on ebay for like $4 including shipping. figure it would be worth a shot for that much. but the thnig is, i dont know what pins to check on that chip.

Comment

just look at the diagram and meter between B+ and B-

or desolder it and see if the fuse still blows.

Comment

definitely looks like its the ic. desoldered it and b+ and b- is now ~2megohms affected by the caps i think. the respective pins on the ic still .2ohm. ordered the new tda7293. will let you know how it works out.

Comment

V or H on the end of the part number is important btw, it's the way the pins are bent.
            (V for vertical mounting, H for horizontal)

Comment

Soldered the new chip on, plugged it in and flipped the switch. and boom, sub is working again

thanks stj.

Comment

Working...
              X