This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

If you live in Europe you see Codegen psus everywhere and you probably know the differece between a 300W and a 300W model
    Besides the model name the sticker tells you which build you're dealing with. The the orange ones where thrash, while the red ones wheren't that bad. The caps and heatsinks where terrible in most of them, but the other components where better in the red ones. Also the promsied PFC only exists on the sticker...
    If you've seen c_hegge's rebuild then take a look at this. I'm planning to give a facelift to this psu soon.
    Attached Files

Comment

It's not that bad compared to this and this

Comment

Yeah, that actually looks alright. It'd do 300W in spec if it weren't for those caps.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
          It's not that bad compared to this and this
          Oh yeah, Eurocase and the blue Codegen. I always wondered why they put smaller spec components as they increased the labeled wattage... I guess getting cheaper and cheaper is the way to go huh.
          Last edited by pdavid; 02-14-2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdavid View Post
            The the orange ones where thrash, while the red ones wheren't that bad.
            I've actually found quite the opposite. The orange ones often seem better built than the red ones.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by pdavid View Post
              If you live in Europe you see Codegen psus everywhere
              I live in Europe but I never saw a Codegen.

Here, the cheap power supplies are Delux, Premier, KME ... it's full of them, and they start at about 20$, including the 24% VAT.

I bought a case for a test system for about 30$... came with a KME power supply.. don't even feel like opening it because they're all pretty much the same crap.
              It's the old half bridge design, PIV power supply with the 4 pin connector added to it... 3.3v @ 31A, 12v@19A ... yes, sure it is.
              Last edited by mariushm; 02-14-2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post

Here, the cheap power supplies are Delux, Premier, KME ... it's full of them, and they start at about 20$, including the 24% VAT.
                Yep. Haven't seen a Codegen since the Pentium II/III days.
                On the other hand, we're getting flooded by "Delux" 450-550W units (in reality maybe 200W) and "Casecom" 420-520W junkers (worst of the worst.. you can get them with 15euro cases if that tells you anything..)

Wasn't "Premier" a series by ATNG ? I remember the bargain basement PSU roundup on jonnyguru having a "Premier by ATNG" in it..

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post

I bought a case for a test system for about 30$... came with a KME power supply.. don't even feel like opening it because they're all pretty much the same crap.
                  It's the old half bridge design, PIV power supply with the 4 pin connector added to it... 3.3v @ 31A, 12v@19A ... yes, sure it is.
                  Here in Greece I see Premier/Deer/Allied/Force and Linkworld, Codegen, Maxpower/Rexpower. They start at about 11euros including 23%VAT.

I mod the Linkworld and Maxpower psus when they have decent transformer, switchers and semi-decent input filter. Codegen and Premier, usually I don't bother...

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                    On the other hand, we're getting flooded by "Delux" 450-550W units (in reality maybe 200W)
                    Are you getting the 600W Delux? That's the only one actually worth something and will do its labeled rating, it costs around 30 Euro. I've heard it was custom built for a Romanian distributor, so i want to find out if it's true.
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

400-520W. Mainly the ones with the turquoise 120mm fans.

like this one http://www.tiger-technik.com/images/...w-p4-12fan.jpg

There's currently only one that's a bit more expensive (~30eur) which is called "Delux DLP-388" and is supposed to be a 420W unit. No details at all. The only thing they list with it is the EAN, which is 6938820460015

edit: a "480W" with a few specs: http://cgi.ebay.de/110822551703
                      Looks about as generic as it gets..
                      Last edited by Scenic; 02-15-2012, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Nope, that's not what i'm talking about. I mean this one: http://arch9.okr.ro/auctions.v3/700_...57-700_700.jpg

Comment

Dual-Core Power Supply?

"Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

My Delta DPS 750CB is dual core. It has two PCBs.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

^ so does my Delta DPS-700FB

http://bambooz.pytalhost.net/badcaps...0/image006.jpg

http://bambooz.pytalhost.net/badcaps/DPS-700/

Comment

Those are nice and heavy.
                                I had one of those fall on my head once when a shelf broke.
                                It damned near knocked me out cold.
                                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                  Those are nice and heavy.
                                  I had one of those fall on my head once when a shelf broke.
                                  It damned near knocked me out cold.
                                  Ouch!

Well that's one way to tell the quality of a PSU....measure it in PCU (Potential Concussion Units)
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

DUAL CORE PSU
                                    That would mean it's got dual SMPS controllers...
                                    ah well I had a good laugh

A PSU hit me on the head once when it fell off a shelf... but it was a Linkworld so I didn't even notice (no, I'm not kidding)

Comment

Now that's perfect!! I can now sell my load tester off. All I need to do to test a PSU now is drop it on my head. If it doesn't knock me out, it's a fail!!!

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                        Now that's perfect!! I can now sell my load tester off. All I need to do to test a PSU now is drop it on my head. If it doesn't knock me out, it's a fail!!!
                                        hahaha!
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                          DUAL CORE PSU
                                          That would mean it's got dual SMPS controllers...
                                          ah well I had a good laugh
                                          I guess that would make the PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW a tripple core PSU: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story4&reid=33

Comment

Working...
                                          X