Acer side glow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer side glow

I have an Acer AL1916W monitor that has an annoying glow around the edges. I think it's visible in the attached picture.

I have seen this problem on more than one monitor to varying degrees, Is there anything that can be done about it or is it just something that some monitors do? I have even had 3 identical monitors where only one will have it but not the other two.

Also, is there anything that can be changed or checked if the text on the screen is a bit blurry? My wife and I had the exact same monitors and mine was crystal clear but the text on hers was a little fuzzy. Our systems are the exact same and all the settings were the same as well.
    Attached Files

Re: Acer side glow

I am quite surprised that nobody knows if either of these issues can be fixed or if they are just problems that some monitors are just plagued with from day one. In all seriousness, the experts here seem to be the most knowledgeable I have seen in any forums and if you guys don't have an answer then there must not be one.

I decided to just garbage them both as unfixable, since the glow and the blurriness are extremely annoying, and will move on to a new project.

My sincere thanks to everyone who took the time to read my questions even if nobody was able to answer them.

Comment

You can see a lot of references to working ergonomic standards, defines visual quality and safety requirements to your display, on rear shield. There is every likelihood that your display had certified to TCO-03: , in this standarts terminology, color or bright uniformity can be realized as "glow". Only measurement and recalculating using mentioned standard requirements can take objective criteria, is this phenomena defect symptom or not.

Automatic adjustment of DAC sampling frequency and phase can make non-optimal result ordinary. Try to make recomendations: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/clock_phase.php for optimal result. In additional compare information about input sygnal from monitors OSD-menu and preinstalled in video adapters properties. LCD monitor can make sharp and clear picture only if displayed videomode is same as native LCD-panel resolution.

Comment

I seen my Acer X193W LCD look fine at lower than 1440x900, which is the native resolution.

1280x1024 looks good and even 1024x768 does.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

did you try swapping them between systems to see if the fault went with them.

I hope by trash you mean give them away a lot of people would be glad of them. Do you have Freecycle.com
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

What you are seeing is non uniform backlighting. It's an artifact caused by a slight misalignment of the polarizer sheets when the LCD screen is assembled. It cannot be fixed unless you have a cleanroom at your disposal, otherwise you're just going to get the panel full of dust.

It is less noticeable if you turn down the backlight brightness or use a background color other than black on your desktop (duh).

For the blurriness - swap the VGA cables around and see if the problem moves with them. Or use DVI like a boss.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

That symptom can also be caused by a panel that is slightly bent, which causes uneven brightness like that.

Comment

Working...
              X