X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello All,
    My name is John and I am a computer programmer with the State of California here in Sacramento. i was led to your site seeking information on repairing a Phillips 55" LCD TV. I love to tinker with electronics and robotics. I am currently building an Arduino controlled pitching machine for my nephew using DC motors and a motor controller I salvaged from two separate treadmills. I got it working on the bench, now I am working on the ball feed mechanism. I then need to find a local pro welder to finish it off. Anyhow, this looks like a great site to find answers, and hopefully soon I can add some. Peace All!

Comment

hello
      new member and looking to fix my samsung LCD 8 years old.

Comment

I just realized I never made my intro post! Hello all, electronics ultra-newbie here, been lurking this forum to find answers to my assorted blunders for a year or so now.

Comment

hello there

Comment

Hi folks, just posted in this thread "Another LC-80LE632U 2-5 thread" looking for some help fixing an 80" Sharp LCD TV. I went ahead and separated the backlight section despite my sever reservations. So far so good, at least I think I haven't broken anything.

So, at least I discovered that the information I had about the number of LED strips and the number of LEDs per strip was totally wrong. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to test these strips. As you can see, there's 30 per strip X 15 strips. I measured 130 VDC from the power board before separating the backlight section.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to generate 130 VDC.
            It's just soooo simple, NOT !!! HELP !!!!

Any ideas / suggestions / previous experience with this kind of DC voltage would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
            Tom
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi, I was trying to determine why the battery light on my XPS laptop was blinking oddly when I tripped and fell face first into this site. Ouch! To view the pics I created an ID. To Post.. Well.. I created this post. I look forward to many productive troubleshooting session in the near future!!

Comment

first idont speak english good but i will try
                my name mahmoud from egypt

Comment

Hello, I have been designing and delivering hardware and software products for over 25 years. I'm currently designing and producing high end boutique tube amplifiers for hifi and guitar.

Cheers,
                  -ml

Comment

Re: New Members Hi I'm happy to join in

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                    As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread "clean" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                    So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                    where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said "w00t.. they have a forum"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                    m, m

Comment

Undergrad of Electronics and Computer here.. trying to re-train myself and learn more after 2 decades of not doing board level troubleshooting.

Comment

Hi
                        Quite interesting idea with that 1st post, before you can start a new thread.
                        I might to use it on my vB forum

I'm Undergrad of Electronics, but I'm not working in this industry.
                        I registered here because I've got a monitor to fix.

And that should be a piece of cake...if I'd have a value of that bloody resistor...

5PM already...and so many things on ToDo list....NOOOOOOOOO ;D

Comment

I'm just here from NC trying to get some information on troubleshooting my TV...I'm fine with PC repair...TVs today are nothing but big computers..Looking forward to this!

Comment

Jack Moticha

Comment

Sorry,

Jack Moticha
                              Trenton, NJ
                              LG 60PC1D

Comment

Hello, I am a member of the Louisiana National Guard going on 27 Years am a Chief Warrant Officer. I like to fix electronics when I can since there are no true Service Shops where I live. Came across your site while troubleshooting my tv, took a lightning strike close to the house.

Comment

Hi guys I am 58 and have always loved fixing and building things, I suffer from a condition called fibromyalgia and am unable to do heavy work I love micro soldering but need the knowledge for the trouble shooting bit, I am at present supounded by huge piles of Apple products that I wish to learn to repair, as I am a shopaholic for broken things. But then find I don't have the ability to repair the more difficult items.
                                  So I need some help with schematics brd views, a helping hand in the right direction and a lot of patients am I posting this in the right place ? And please don't pull me on spelling etc as I need help and confidence not being put down
                                  Thanks guys

Comment

G'day folks
                                    I am a retired psychologist who likes to dabble in fixing and tweaking older computers and other electronic and electrical gadgets as a hobby. My first job was a radio/electronics tech in civil aviation from early 70s, an interest I gained from my father, who was a radio operator in the air force during WW2. Computers were just coming into civil aviation in the early 80s when I left to become a psychologist, so I only had experience with early logic circuits under my belt by then (AND, OR, NOT gates, operational amplifiers etc). Early microprocessors such as the Intel 8086/8088 and Motorola M6800 were big then.
                                    My first personal computer was an M6800 based Amiga 500 rather than an x86 based machine. Its claim to fame in the mid 80s was that it could multi-task. I indulged myself by purchasing the extended memory module, so that the machine had double the standard memory, a whole 1MB of RAM. It served me well as a word processor during my study, and even handled a basic flight simulator game as I recall.
                                    My first "tower" computer was fitted with the high speed Rambus DRAM (600MB, to which I added another 1GB), and had Win ME installed. The introduction of Win XP provided my first experience of installing an OS myself.
                                    Once XP reached EOL, I switched to Linux. Ubuntu Unity DE would not render properly on my machine (now a Dell Dimension 3100), with just a 30MB AGP video card, so I progressed through Lubuntu, Xubuntu to Kubuntu. I settled on the K desktop, but switched over to Linux Mint KDE, which I find a nicely polished and stable OS.
                                    This exercise has been an interesting reminiscence for me; haven't thought about some of this for a long time. Hopefully not to boring for others.
                                    Cheers

Comment

Hello everyone i am glam im in this forum.
                                      Can anyone help me please i have asus x202e ver. 2
                                      intermittent power problem what is my first thing to do.

Thanks.

Comment

Hey all! Glad I found this forum. I've got a lot of experience on fixing and trouble shooting various electronics. I'm no EE or programmer, but I know my way around electronics.

In the past i've mostly worked on older video game consoles, fixing them or upgrading old handhelds with more modern components.

However, I have not dug around in TVs much. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more here.

I'm a 28 year old music teacher just starting his career, but my hobbies all involve working with my hands.

Comment

Hey there, nice to meet you all
                                          Im a 26y old developer and one of my hobbies is to build and mod electronics

Comment

Working...
                                          X