X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solder Question

Hi, I need solder as I ran out.
    What would you recommend?
    It has to be on eBay, cheap, and come fairly quickly.
    I'm using it to recap an LCD and an iMacrap G5.
    Thanks!

Re: Solder Question

Why don't you head over to Radio Shack? You can find these items on eBay as well though. I use 62/36/2 Silver-Bearing Solder. Depending on how small the piece is I'm soldering I go with .015" for small stuff and .022" for everything else. You can also use a rosin-core solder.

Comment

I would recommend 63/37 Sn/Pb or 62/37/1 Sn/Pb/Cu or Silver or the classic 60/40 Sn/Pb

Multicore ideally, 2-3% flux , either no clean or low/mild activity (if no clean then at least water based so you can clean it with water if it's mild active)

Save yourself the trouble and get something good, it will last you a long time.

Ex. I have this one below from multicore but in a bigger spool and bigger diameter, it's excellent :

15$ : 63/37 3% flux, no clean, 0.39mm (excellent for electronics), 227g : http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...131-ND/2498929

14$ : 60/40 rosin flux (stronger, should clean the flux remains off the boards after) http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...105-ND/2498903

The ebay solder is either old or poor quality with various degrees of flux or parts of solder where there's no flux inside, won't give you good results. You'll just get bad results and it's not worth it imho. 227g can last you for years so it's not a bad deal for 14$.

If you still want cheaper, you can get this:

http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-S...ds=solder+wire

17 grams (0.6 oz) for 4$

This might also be ok but I'm not familiar with the brand and it's also a bit too thick for my tastes (0.062" / 1.5mm):

http://www.amazon.com/American-Termi...ds=solder+wire

, 60/40 rosin core 113 grams (1/4 lbs) for 7$ so it's a better deal that the one above, you get more quantity for the money.

But I prefer 63/37, because it's eutectic and it hardens almost instantly the moment you remove the heat source, unlike 60/40 which stays liquid for a wider range of temperatures
      Last edited by mariushm; 09-22-2012, 10:23 AM.

Comment

63/37 sounds nice, BUT I want to order it from eBay.com. Can you find a link to a good solder there?
        Thanks for all the info I didn't know that there were that many different options...

Comment

No, I don't have any preferred sellers on eBay. But I can make an ebay listing for you if you want

Why are you stuck on eBay? No credit card or something?

Like I said, I have a roll of 500g 63/37 no clean flux like the one in the first link.

If you want, paypal me about 3$ for postage and I'll mail you a few meters from my 500g spool for free (no clue how much a few meters would be in grams), should reach you in about 8-10 days.

ps.. or you could paypal me some money and I'll add your address on my amazon account so the solder would go to your home in a few days.
          Last edited by mariushm; 09-22-2012, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Now, that's a nice guy! ^

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
              No, I don't have any preferred sellers on eBay. But I can make an ebay listing for you if you want

Why are you stuck on eBay? No credit card or something?

Like I said, I have a roll of 500g 63/37 no clean flux like the one in the first link.

If you want, paypal me about 3$ for postage and I'll mail you a few meters from my 500g spool for free (no clue how much a few meters would be in grams), should reach you in about 8-10 days.

ps.. or you could paypal me some money and I'll add your address on my amazon account so the solder would go to your home in a few days.
              I have a credit card I just like PayPal I'll PM you shortly, thanks!

Comment

Jameco and Rat Shack both have Ebay stores, you could see what they offer. I think Jameco is in Cali so it should get to you quick if you order from them.

Comment

Next time, just go to the ebay site and use the search box. Put in the search box "solder 63/37" and you'll find a long list. Like this:
                  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...at=0&_from=R40

Comment

63/37 Multicore... Check Electronics Plus or Radio shack. Both on 4th street.

Comment

I prefer 2%+ silver solder. Are there any reasons or conditions in which I should never use silver solder?
                      My reasons are that 2%Silver seems to solidify into a harder, stiffer more resilient connection. And the silver content may help reduce the internal resistance of a solder connection and may resist oxidation better. Is this wrong? Am I dreaming? :P

Comment

Well my friend bought me some solder from Radio Shack. It worked

Comment

Working...
                        X