Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLCCs - Alternative cap choices for old computers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLCCs - Alternative cap choices for old computers.

Hello. I'm after some advice on whether replacing some electrolytics on a couple of old computers with MLCCs in certain places is a reasonable plan. Here are the situations -

1. Commodore Amiga A600. Audio output coupling caps are 22uF 25V SMD polarised electrolytics. However, the audio output is a bipolar signal, (so I'm told, I haven't checked yet). Lots of people are replacing them with film types and such. But I hate to put leaded components on SMD pads plus they are bulky and located in awkward spot. Any reason not to choose something like these MLCCs assuming I can find one a decent size for the pads? -

http://uk.mouser.com/Passive-Compone...z0z7ymZ1z0vhw8

2. Macintosh Plus. Axial electrolytics on analog board and logic board. There are about a dozen on these boards, various values. Trouble is the only high temp axial electrolytics I could get at mouser were some Vishay ones costing ~5 times radials or low temps. Axial MLCCs don't seem to reach up to the 22uF 33uF values I need and are also only 85 degree parts. Any alternative suggestions, do I just have to go with low temp parts or spend the money?
Working...
X