Iwill DVD266u-RN Stability Fixes [UPDATED]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iwill DVD266u-RN Stability Fixes [UPDATED]

Update: Well it's Spring and playtime is over. Its been a long haul smoothing out the wrinkles in this system but the information I've received on this site has been helpful, so thanks to all for your input, especially those that took the time to answer my queries personally. This board has been working quite well for some time now and I thought it may prove of some value to leave an update on my experience should someone else jump into the IwillDVD266u-RN pool.

Right now I'm using 3gbs of Corsair XMS3200 memory with the BFG GeForce 7800 OC graphics card and the board seems to be pretty happy with it. For quite awhile my 3 biggest gripes were:
    #1. The inability to go into hibernation or sleep mode but now I assume this is just not supported in the BIOS.
    #2 The HDD activity LED and Reset switch just wouldn't function.
    #3. Failure to complete the RAM count which led to shutting down the system and firing up again. Sometimes this would need to be done 3 times in secession before it completed enough to allow the system to continue. Yeah, I know that I can peruse hitting a key to cancel the count and did so but on occasion if I let it go the problem would surface.

About a month ago I purchased another used board just to see if it would give a different set of problems. I found pretty much identical results but the interesting thing was this board came with all the original literature and within that was a sheet which detailed the changes between the previous Iwill board (Was that a DVD266-r?) and this one. On that sheet was the correct header pin connections and that cured my Reset switch and HDD led problems. In addition, it used the same 704_234.bin BIOS version I was using but had far less problems. Previously I tried all three BIOS versions and did not find any difference but on a hunch used the one from this 2nd board which now will boot cleanly nearly 100% of the time. It now runs at 145fsb X 10.5 for 1.52ghz and is quite speedy. Now if I can just fix the inability to hibernate...............

Comment

I thought that since I have put some time into getting a computer running with this board I would add a few lines of information as well.

My biggest problem was getting the memory to run. I have tried several brands of ECC Registered Ram such as Hynix, Samsung, Kingston but none of those worked so I gave up on ECC Registered ram and just installed 2GB of Low Density Ram of unknown brand and it works just fine.

This board received all new Rubycon Capacitors from Topcat and a couple of other mods such as an aluminum heatsink glued to the southbridge, copper heatsink onto northbridge. Two aluminum heatsinks onto the voltage regulators, the memory sticks also received copper coolers.

The processors(Pentium 3 Tualatins at 1.4GHz) and the heatsinks (Thermaltake Volcano 11+ Xaser Edition) received a complete lap and polish down to a mirror finish. When the fans run at 1200rmp I get about 32 degrees celsius on both processors. At full blast the temps will go down as low as 26 degrees, but it is really loud.

I had no good luck overclocking with this board because anything above 140 FSB and it becomes unstable. The soundcard that Im using is Creative x-fi Platinum, Video Powercolor HD3850 AGP, Truepower Quattro 850W Power supply and a Thermaltake M9 Vi1000 series case.

If anyone wants to see the setup I can post pictures and if someone wants to find out some information about the board maybe I can help you out. Otherwise this board is full of problems and surprises.

Comment

Im so pissed, bought a VP6 (ok it was cheap im not to upset) only to find out no dual P3 Tuli support!!! (just a note as to why im doing this, got alot of parts from a friend, wanted to make a little server box for myself, managed to get about 27 P3's most are sold/trashed already, and have 4x512MB DDR sticks and an old AGP VC so all i need is the MOBO!)

Anyway, seeing as a few of you have bothered to post about this again I wanted to know if anyone had one for sale, or had seen one lately, I have spent the last 2-3 days looking for one of these or the MSI DDR version that supports dual P3 Tuli's, NO LUCK :X

So if anyone can/does/has... well PM or post here, Thanks

*just a note here, i have been lurking on this site for ages... sorry for never registering before
        Last edited by Kane3162; 04-12-2009, 01:39 AM. Reason: Lurking

Comment

you guys suck.... (green with envy)

i have tried when i have the time (normally once or twice a month) to find this board... or even one comparable that can use my Dual1.4Ghz...

NOT FOUND

Comment

i bet many boards from the worst part of the cap plague era have been trashed by now.any you find now will need recapping.so will your vp6.
            just keep looking.they are out there.i still get those in for repair.the msi one shows up more often than the iwill.and as you see the iwill needs lots of tlc along with a recap.

Comment

Working...
            X