Recommend a Particular Optical Magnifier for Tiny Solder Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a Particular Optical Magnifier for Tiny Solder Job

My '09 Panasonic Plasma (TH-46PZ850u) has been down and out for about 4-5 weeks now and I'd like to get it going again. It needs a capacitor replaced on the MC201 "micro" power supply sub-board (or maybe just simply removed ... although I can't get corroboration for that).

Anyway, this cap is VERY TINY! Can barely see it without magnification. Doesn't even LOOK like a cap. Looks more like a rectangularly-shaped solder joint ... that's how small it is!

Can anyone recommend a magnifying lens of some kind suitable for electronics work that is reasonably priced? I was thinking (loose) loupes at first, but now I think something mounted on frames would be better (just seems like it would be more comfortable ... maybe loupes mounted on a frame?).

The one criticism I see on many of the lower-priced options is that you have to be VERY CLOSE to the object (an inch??) otherwise the image is blurred. Also, plastic is probably not as clear as glass? Could I just use magnifying glasses from, say, Wal-Mart ... maybe the strongest they have (which might only be 3x)?

Re: Recommend a Particular Optical Magnifier for Tiny Solder Job

Wrong forum, you want
    Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting, Equipment Usage, Soldering, Techniques, and Reviews

Comment

Also post picture(s) so people can see what you are referring to.

Comment

this video may help shows the capacitor in question i have done this job myself on both the moduels set still works fine i just used the other halfs reading glasses haha it allowed me to do the jod fine.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjpGKaBt8hg

Comment

vinceroger69 has it. That's the problem I have.

For lack of anything better at reasonable cost, I just ended up buying a "helping hands" magnifying glass (actual glass) with articulating arms and clips from Harbor Fake. It has a weighted base. I'll try to get it into position on this VERY TINY surface-mounted capacitor and see if that's good enough. My plan is to stand the TV on its short side so that this VERY TINY power supply sub-board sits horizontally (instead of its normal perpendicular-to-floor orientation ... which would make soldering in place very hard for me).

BTW: Does anybody know if I can just remove the cap and not install a replacement? Is it possible that the failed cap has created a short and what really needs to be there is an open circuit (to prevent DC voltage through)?? Reason I ask is the predominant poster on that video left his cap off for several weeks without any problem. Eventually, though, he DID install the 1uF 50V cap. Also saw mention in another forum of someone saying a Panasonic tech claimed there was an internal Service Bulletin stating that the capacitor only needed to be removed (but no corroboration of this that I can find).

Comment

fot the little money it cost i just replaced the capacitor on tom66 advice maybe things have changed and you can now leave them off? i took both moduels off the power supply like in the video as i had never soldered anything that small before but all went to plan just took a good few hours as loads of screws to remove i also cleaned all the fans in mine and hoovered all the dust out also the solder wick i had wasnt the best quality so had to be carefull removing excess solder etc.

Comment

The Helping Hands gizmo doesn't stand up for long. I bought one a while ago. The basic metal parts seem ok but the wingnuts are cheap and wear out quickly. I also had to epoxy the glass rim stem into the post right out of the box, it would not stay threaded on.

Comment

I personally Like using this if I do not have a microscope handy:
                "Carson Optical Pro Series MagniVisor" it fairly inexpensive and hands free with a light.
                Here is a link as well:
                https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Magni.../dp/B01B64353M

Comment

Working...
                X