D915GAG RAM issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D915GAG RAM issue

My friends computer has an issue where he installed 2x 1GB ram chips and another 2x 512MB ram chips, totalling 3GB... only problem is that it displays only 2.37GB is installed. Even after a BIOS update the issue is still there.
    The motherboard is an Intel D915GAG and the OS is Windows 7 64 bit. If I'm not mistaken the CPU is an Intel P4 3.2GHz... maybe a 640?

What's the problem here? I'm stumped.

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: D915GAG RAM issue

Displays 2.37gb where? BIOS setup? In Windows?

Integrated video will take away some ram...but not that much. Are all the slots working? If there is a dead slot or bad dimm, 2.37 could easily be 2.5 less some for video...just a thought.

Comment

it has an external pcie graphics card and it's the bios that displays 2.37GB.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Ah, ok. The images I googled of D915GAG didn't have a PCI Express slot. I probably pulled up a related board and didn't bother checking it closely.

The 915 chipset is pre-memory remapping. I think Intel first supported that feature with the ICH7. So, the total addressable space the chipset can use is 4GB. (Much like a 32-bit OS can only use 4GB addressable space, but this is a chipset limitation, not an OS limitation.)

See p. 55 of the technical spec for more info:

MS KB article (Vista, but still relevant to Win7):
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

How much memory does the video card have? If it's a 1GB card for instance, that puts a huge dent into the 4GB addressable space. If it's less than that, it's much less likely that it would be reserving that much memory for system functions. Futhermore, I'd expect the BIOS to show the installed memory. It's the OS that wouldn't be able to use the reserved memory. The fact that it's the BIOS screen, and not Windows reporting the discrepancy is strongly pointing to some sort of incompatibility or malfunction. I'd try swapping the memory around different modules, different slots, try one at a time, etc. to see if you can isolate the problem somewhat - bad slot, bad memory, partially incompatible memory, etc. I have seen boards with bad memory controllers that do all sorts of weird things, so that's a possibility too.
        Last edited by yyonline; 12-23-2010, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Interesting.

That's a good point. Check at the BIOS screen how much ram it's counting.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

i have a 915gag board i have 4x512 sticks and have no problems, of course it has the "AWARD WINNING" Kalyway OS X 10.5.2 loaded on it.
            My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Did you perhaps mix high and low density RAM?
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Sure that system is x64 compatible?

Not all P4 3.2 GHz support x64
                http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27467
                http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27466

D915GAG doesn't officially support Vista or Win7 in 32 or 64 bit.
                http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-008326.htm
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

I have my doubts with the 64 bit CPU bit, I will have to ask my friend again.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                    I have my doubts with the 64 bit CPU bit, I will have to ask my friend again.
                    If Win7 64-bit is actually installed and says 64-bit OS in system properties, then it's definitely a 64-bit CPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X