Value of Bad SMD Capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Value of Bad SMD Capacitor

Can someone here please tell me how to find out the value of a bad smd capacitor to replace it. The small caps dont have anything written on them, how do we get them replaced if we dont know the value? What is the trick or a straight forward way to find? These are on the motherboards usually in the power section.
    Here is the image of the cap:
    http://media.digikey.com/photos/Keme...LCC%20Caps.jpg
    Last edited by saf; 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM. Reason: Title.

Re: Value of Bad SMD Capacitor

Welcome, saf!

As far as I know, SMD ceramic capacitors do not have any marking on them, unfortunately.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Normally one would have to look up the schematic and find out, but if it's a motherboard you're probably screwed.

Alternatively, you could remove the same capacitor from an identical working board, and measure its capacitance with a meter.

Or (worst way) you could just guess, go with something the same size\colour, or a common value like 100nF

If it's in a specific area like VRM, you may be able to find another board with similar layout and see what it uses in the same area. Or on a multi-phase VRM measure capacitance of another capacitor in the same location on another phase etc.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Thanks for your response guys and many greetings and wishes to all the members sharing their information with every one.
        Is there a site or link where we can hve the schematics for these boards? I had that link somewhere but am not able to find it.
        @Agent24; your idea gave me a fantastic idea. As every component has a number, we can ask for its information on threads like this, like I want to find the value of capacitor no. PC176 on a HP-dv9000 board, so any one who has a board can measure and bring it on these threads for our help.
        Hope i'll get it out quickly. I think this is the easiest way. Once every one starts using this technique, it 'll be more easy for every one.

Comment

You'll just have to use Google, I guess. You get an interesting result if you just search "Motherboard schematics"

Thing is a lot of people don't want to \ aren't skilled enough to remove parts from their working boards without damaging the board\part.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

I have been looking to start a new thread, but, it may sound stupid, I could not find from where to do it. I checked all the links as well. Can you please tell me how do I start a new thread.

Comment

Go to the sub-board on the forum where you want to post your thread, and click the 'New Thread' button in the top left.
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Yep! Thanks a Lot again.
                Is it not like, if I post a new thread, it will be notified to all the people in all the threads or only to that particular group?
                Its a bit confusing for me, sorry! This is my first registration in any Forum.

Comment

Users of the forum can subscribe to each sub-board etc and receive an email showing which new threads etc have been added.

However this is not the default so I think most of the time you just have to wait until other people read the forum and discover your thread.

You can also subscribe to a thread, and be notified by email when someone replies to that particular thread.

More information can also be found here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/faq.php

Hope this helps!
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

DV9000 Board Capacitor #PC176, Wats the Value plzzz???

Well! after several attempts I have come to a conclusion tht there is no way of finding the actual value of a Bad SMD Capacitor (Ceramic) unless you have a genuine schematic.
                    But, There is a Simple Way Out

if someone who has this board can favor to just measure this component and post its value here.(if your's is not bad either)
                    Its the PC176 in the power section of HP-DV9000 laptop Board.
                    (Please see the attachment for its position on the board.)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Re: DV9000 Board Capacitor #PC176, Wats the Value plzzz???

We don't need the IDENTICAL thread in 5 different forums.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by saf View Post
                        Well! after several attempts I have come to a conclusion tht there is no way of finding the actual value of a Bad SMD Capacitor (Ceramic) unless you have a genuine schematic.
                        But, There is a Simple Way Out

if someone who has this board can favor to just measure this component and post its value here.(if your's is not bad either)
                        Its the PC176 in the power section of HP-DV9000 laptop Board.
                        (Please see the attachment for its position on the board.)
                        here is a schematic for the HP-DV9000 hope it helps
                        Attached Files
                        “Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.”

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          We don't need the IDENTICAL thread in 5 different forums.
                          How am I to get response from all the related threads? Will it reach out every one on this forum if its posted just in One thread?

Comment

Thanks a lot aftonr. I am not sure how to refer to schematic diagrams, but let me try.
                            Thankyou again. Would it be exactly same for all models Or could there be any sub-models?
                            Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by saf View Post
                              How am I to get response from all the related threads? Will it reach out every one on this forum if its posted just in One thread?
                              Like I said, you post your question in the appropriate forum (once, in one forum, or you annoy people) and then you wait until people discover it and reply to it.

If nobody replies, chances are they don't have an answer to your question.

But as aftonr was kind enough to post that schematic, it looks like may be in luck!
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                              X