What happens if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens if...

someone dares to use lower ripple capacitors then the original, or lower esr for that matter?? I bet it would make nice fireworks a few months after use
    Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Re: What happens if...

Lower ripple: can lead to explosion, leaking, increased ESR, generally failure.
    Lower ESR: that's a good thing. It will do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ipman View Post
      Lower ESR: that's a good thing. It will do just fine.
      Sorry about that, I meant higher ESR
      Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Comment

In a PSU, changing the ESR (either way) would probably not result in a fireworks display - it would just not be as well tuned to the PI filtering coils as the originals and so the ripple may be somewhat worse.

If you went lower ripple, the cap would just overheat, wear out anf fail quickly, and the ripple would skyrocket. Again, though, it probably wouldn't make a PSU go up in smoke.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Read the last part here.
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...9&postcount=27

Excessive Ripple [which is AC] thins the oxide layer on the foil.
          The oxide layer is the actual dielectric.
          The thinner layer allows more DC Leakage current which further heats the cap.
          When the DC Leakage current gets too high 'in spots' the cap the will begin to develop localized shorts that are beyond the electrolyte's capability to 'self heal' through the electrolytic chemical reaction.
          In other words 'spots' of foil with permanent damage.
          [That could happen fast or slow depending on how bad the conditions are.]
          Additionally as the shorts develop the uF typically goes down because the surface area of the foil is being reduced.
          Long term use with excessive Ripple applied eventually creates enough localized shorts that the overall condition of the cap is shorted or partially shorted.
          At some point the excessive heat may [depends on the electrolyte] break down the electrolyte causing gas formation inside the cap [which is what bloating is] but it might not happen until very late in the failure.
          If the failure occurs slowly you can have a very long period of erratic/unstable behavior from the degrading caps before they -visually- bloat.
          They may never bloat at all if the failure is slow and the gasses manage to leak past the bung relieving the pressure.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X