HM to replace KZG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HM to replace KZG?

I know the ratings aren't exact, and that the existing cap won't be running right at the top of it's rating, but I never know how far you can push the limits... Someone point me in the right direction here.

=====
    Old caps are 6.3/3300 KZG's (12Ω/2800mA 10x25mm)

I currently have 6.3/3300 HM's (10Ω/2550mA 10x20mm), and it would be nice to use them and not have to wait for a new order.
    =====

Think 2550mA is too low to replace the 2800mA? I have absolutely no idea what load these actually see, so I don't know how close this would be pushing it.

Thanks

Re: HM to replace KZG?

They would be fine.

The ripple rating is what the cap can withstand without overheating. If you have 2.55 AMPS of ripple, you need a new power supply anyway.

The lower ESR is a better choice. If I had HM's to hand, I'd use them.

If you have open spots, drop a few of them in there too.

What is this? A motherboard? Pics perhaps?

Toast
    veritas odium parit

Comment

I thought 3300uF 6.3V Nichicom HMs had a can size of 10x25mm.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
        I thought 3300uF 6.3V Nichicom HMs had a can size of 10x25mm.
        3 different sizes for that value in 6.3v.

http://www.nichicon-us.com/english/p...ini/list_f.htm
        veritas odium parit

Comment

You bring up a good point - I had missed it on the spec sheet because the 10mm widths weren't together in the list for 3300, and there was a smaller one between them, so I assumed the ones I had were 20mm. Looked too quickly I guess.

The 10x25mm that I actually DO have here turns out to be a perfect match at 12Ω/2800mA.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Comment

Well, the original symptoms were no video, and after opening the box, I saw all the bad capacitors. Easily replaced them all, and still no video.

Power supply tested OK and also swapped out w/new just in case. Same thing.

All other caps look OK, and are of a different series, etc. than the bad ones (all of which were replaced), so I don't suspect caps.

Also did a full BIOS reset.

Anyone have any other thoughts before I replace the board?

Comment

Originally posted by bw1 View Post
              Easily replaced them all, and still no video.
              If onboard video, have you tried an AGP/PCI-E video card?
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

How about pics and the model & make of mobo?
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Model is Intel BOXD946GZISSL. Still available at Newegg, but this was purchased back in 2008.

I don't have a camera handy, but I attached a stock photo of the board. The caps that were replaced are the bigger ones next to the North Bridge (5), the 2 by the IDE port, and 1 by the Memory Slots (8 total).

Nothing else looks damaged or questionable.

PCI-E card didn't help. Actually, with onboard, it does light the monitor Green led for a couple seconds, and then amber. With PCI-E, I didn't get anything at all. Neither produced any video signal.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I've seen a few dead 945 chipset boards killed by bad power supplies. The southbridge chip gets really hot when power is plugged in to the board. Yours is a 946, but they're closely related so that might be worth a look.

Comment

I did open the original power supply and caps are visually OK. Also passes my ATX tester OK. Not sure. Probably just going to replace the board and if it's fixable use it somewhere else, unless someone has any other ideas shortly.

Comment

Working...
                      X