fried power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fried power supply

i had a friend bring their PC over. they said that they had a slight power surge or something, not really sure but something happened with the power, then all the sudden their PC would not turn back on. I checked it and found the power supply dead, replaced it and all was good again.. luckily nothing else fried. I am not sure if this thing frying is what effected the power or if it was something else, all i know is the bottom of the wires were partly melted, the one cap closest to the aluminum heatsink right by the orange power wires was a little off center and the board was black under it and by the side like it was burnt. when i tried to wipe the dust off to see what kind it was, it started cracking like brittle old plastic. on the side of the cap it looked like a VR(M), but was kinda melted so hard to say for sure. All i could think was, "dang, she is lucky that she did not fry anything else".

forgot to add, the fan was good and still worked too so was not overheated because of that and really no build up from dust either. I never cleaned it out. the way you see it is the way it came out.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kaniki; 06-26-2010, 10:58 PM.

Re: fried power supply

gutless wonder.

total trash. looks like a-power, leadman, or powmax. i'm sure many can attest to s***ty that unit is. it is probably too light for a paperweight/doorstop.

4 diodes. no x caps. fake y caps. crappy primaries. not enough caps on the secondary. only one PI coil. bad heatsinks. fake choke. thin wire. crappy fan. probably wimpy crap on the heatsinks, maybe even two diodes bolted on. must i say more?

not even close to being worthy of a recap needs it... remove the nichicon cap(s), desolder the switch and plug, cut out the wire, desolder the one PI coil, and trash the rest.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

It was a Nichicon VR, only rated for 85 degrees C.
      Shouldn't be used in a PSU.

Looks like maybe the solder for the +12v wires grounded on the casing.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

so i guess we have a new unit for target practice!
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I pulled a PSU with similar-looking heat damage to that out of a customer's PC at work. It was a "TT" branded deer PSU. It took the motherboard with it when it failed.
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...9&postcount=46
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

It looks almost strange
            The coil is totally roasted but the caps have not started to bulge?
            Must have been some severe heat there...
            Probably the position of the fan makes it not blow any air over the secondary side due to the admittedly really impressive heatsinks (the only thing impressive about this unit and it turns out to be it's demise, lol :P)

Perhaps the primaries are fake then, if it indeed failed after a power surge...
            As said before, not worth a repair but could be interesting to do an autospy on it to see how much they cheated
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

nice junk,

i doubt there was a power surge,
              more likely the psu blew and glitched the power in the house.

i'v seen loads of stuff fail that can make lights flick.

Comment

Looks like a 600 watt power supply bought on sale for $19.95..........looks like the 12 volt wires are damaged the most, probably the source of the problem. The 5 volt and 3.3 volt wires also look burnt.......maybe as the 12 volt rail was going down, the regulator tried to keep it up causing the power supply to cross-load and make the 5 volt and 3.3 volt lines overheat.......which would explain why the coil is burnt so badly. If the 12 volt line went down first, the fan (powered by the 12 volt rail) would have been off. So lots of heat. Wire damage, pc board damage, and several components fried. Looks like good target practice to me!

I don't think it is a PowMax. They go POW, catch fire, burn, smoke, and do lots of damage to everything including mobo.
                Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                  nice junk,

Agree.
                  Power surge would have fried input stage of PSU or maybe middle.
                  This one is fried at output stage.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

it was a 450w powertek power supply. it had a good run. it has been used in the pc since the big blackout of 2003 if i remember right. so 7 years is not all that bad. at the time it was put in, the owner did not have a lot of cash so got a cheapo put in it. well, at the time they were also running a 350 or 450MHz or something like that processor. Old g-force 2 card if i remember right maybe half gig ram at most. and maybe a 20 gig power supply. so not a real great system from the start. i figured, system was not worth much so no real harm in putting a cheapo power supply in it. Since then they have upgraded parts here and there for the little money that they have. now they have a 2.2 gig processor, 768 ram and a 40 gig hard drive. that is not too bad. just happy that it did not take anything else out.

Comment

also all the caps that i looked at in there.. they were all just just about all 85 degree caps.. im not sure if i saw any 105 ones in there

Comment

almost looks like someone recapped this one before... with good brand caps but totally wrong series..

Comment

That's a Leadman/Powmax - you can tell by the "LP" markings on the main and 5vsb transformers. The style of the heatsinks is also very common for Leadman/Powmax.
                          It's a cheap PSU regardless. I wonder why the power surge made it blow. Seems like it should have went by itself long time ago.
                          By the way, what's the date code on the Nichicon caps? I doubt Leadman/Powmax would buy new Nichicon caps to use in their PSUs. Perhaps it's been recapped like Scenic suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                            nice junk,

Seconded.

I have a PC running as a NAS on a UPS.
                            I came in to find the UPS screaming and the NAS off.

Thought 'ugh, the UPS has died', plugged it into the wall, the power light would flash on then nothing. Replaced the PSU, put the UPS back in and all is OK (for now).

Comment

Looks like the same leadman as the chiefmax 650w in the jg bargain basement psu roundup that fried at 184 watts.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...=Story&reid=71

That big section that is cut out actually use to be there, before jg did reviews on his own site, he did them for some other site. He tested a demon 680W which was another one of these leadmans but it had that large chunk that was missing in this unit, the only thing that was on it was the silkscreening labeling it as being made by leadman (which as you can see is visible to the consumer, especially with a 120mm fan, maybe there was a reason they cut that part out )

Comment

as for it being recapped, as far as i was aware, it was supposed to be brand new when i bought it.. as for the caps.. the 3300 10v one up front is a 105 degree nichi with date code h9902 series PW(M).. the 2 extra large caps are both 85 and all the caps that are something like 10mm high, those are half 85 and the other half are 105 degree caps.. 2 largest are GEE brand, all, if not just about all of the rest are nichicons.. i still had it sitting here so looked it up..

as for when it blew.. i just said that there was a power thing going on.. i never said that it caused the power supply to fry.. it may be the poser supply frying that caused the power flux.. dont really know though..

Comment

Working...
                                X