Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - WOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - WOW!

I've been experimenting with the latest Ubuntu version 10.04 LTS [released April 2010].
    I used the 'live CD' on a Windows XP box.

It was easiest least problematic install of ANYTHING I've done in years.
    Everything just worked. [Except the Promise RAID card which I expected anyway.]
    I didn't have to fuss with drivers.
    Even the bastard "Marvell-Yukon" Gigabit LAN chip worked fine and installed by itself. [That bugger gave me fits in XP.]

In fact it was -easier- than installing W98!
    Pretty much an 'unattended' install.

Test box was:
    Abit IP35-E
    4Gb RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE
    Promise S150 TX4 [Promise doesn't support Linux - I knew that]
    .. and a 500 GB drive on a generic USB adapter.

Tested because I'm considering using Mythbuntu 10.04 [based on Ubuntu 10.04] on a board that has the "Marvell-Yukon" chip and I wanted to know if I'd need an add-in LAN card to get it going.
    - Nope! Linux now supports the "Marvell-Yukon" chip out of the box!

I knew the drives on the promise card wouldn't work but the NTFS drive on USB did. [I actually forgot the USB drive was attached.]
    I will be switching to a 3-ware card for the actual build anyway.

Getting it running in Ubuntu [and getting online to check my eBay] took LESS time than just fussing the "Marvell-Yukon" driver in XP.
    [It's a bitchy chip in Windows.. But some otherwise nice boards use it..]

LTS = Long term support version.
    Desktop will be supported until 2013 and Server until 2015.

PDF and MS-Office ".doc" files worked without installing anything else.
    The LAN auto-configured.
    Sound worked without a hitch.
    I tried everything I could think of and it all worked with zero fussing.

You guys can keep your Windows 7.
    I won't be needing to PAY for the 'pleasure' of using an OS that won't work without 'politically approved' drivers.

I'm jazzed.
    Linux seems to finally be 'there' even for average [non-programmer] folks.

Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-22-2010, 09:18 AM.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - WOW!

Hey that's great! I'll have to give that one a shot. I'm still on Fedora 11, so it's probably time for an upgrade. It's either that or CentOS. Fedora has been getting too buggy for my liking.
    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

lovin it, but i have moved on to ubuntu 10.10 alpha... i am a 'cutting edge" freak...

my only beef was placement of the window bar buttons... but the conf. editor was able to fix it.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

They call it a cutting edge because it can make you bleed.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

It's a shame there is still no decent bootlogger on any distro. I thought bootlogd would be deprecated by Plymouth, but all Plymouth seems to do is a give you a pretty logon/logoff screen and even that doesn't seem to work on non-standard boot partition scenarios (For instance I have the boot block at the begining of the secondary Linux partition and I boot to grub from Vista's BCD Manager).

So we still have to resort to using a serial console just to read the boot messages? Unacceptable.

Otherwise I am also quite pleased with Lucid Lynx. I don't know why people use the Gnome version when Kubuntu is far far superior though.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Huh. Maybe it's time to try Linux again. I have a spare P4 box laying around...

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
              You guys can keep your Windows 7.
              sure. now lets play some crysis, update firefox easily and capture from this sony micromv camera

don't get me wrong, I looove ubuntu server, love using it as a lamp or samba server and you can't beat linux raid

but as far as desktops, its immediately incompatible with most software out there (unless you go through the trouble of using WINE)

windows = desktop
              mac = video/graphics editing
              linux= server
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I dunno what 'crysis' is and I don't have [or need] a PC based camera, so I don't care.

Firefox was pre-installed.
                - I literally finished the 'stock' install and went online in one or two clicks.

There isn't any software I would use that *needs* Windows anymore.
                Anything *I* care about already has a Linux equivalent or version.

I let my wife dink around with it for a couple hour and she loves it too.
                ... And she's not so much on PC Literacy thing...

I didn't even have to configure the laserjet, it just worked.

I LOVED opening a PDF file without a hang and a bunch of pop-ups wanting to update the version. It just opened the file BAM and was done.

I'm going to throw together another box and rotate all my -crap- onto it.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Did you use the onboad SATA on the IP35-E? The IP35-E only does IDE mode SATA, you can't set it to AHCI. It seemed like anytime I tried Linux on that moterboard, the SATA wouldn't work. Upon asking for help from any number of Linux mailing lists/forums/etc. I was told to "just turn on AHCI in the bios"... Well, if I could I would.

So yeah, let me know if the onboard sata now works with the latest Ubuntu. It'd be handy to have Linux on the shop computer.

Comment

IP35-E is ICH9, if there's no AHCI option in the bios, check for a BIOS update, but I don't think Abit is updating anymore. If not, you may want to research modifying the BIOS yourself, though one would think it would be a serious oversight on their part to have left it out.
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

yeah but UPDATING firefox after the current version with ubuntu 10 LTS (which I have on my home shop box) isn't so easy. can't just go help -> check for updates

yeah AHCI adds features to sata like ncq and hot plugging (proper 0drivers have to be installed for this to work too).

its funny usually in windows you have to pre-install the ahci/raid driver before you install the OS, but appearently linux has issues with some sata hbas not set to ahci
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline
                        Did you use the onboad SATA on the IP35-E? The IP35-E only does IDE mode SATA, you can't set it to AHCI. It seemed like anytime I tried Linux on that moterboard, the SATA wouldn't work. Upon asking for help from any number of Linux mailing lists/forums/etc. I was told to "just turn on AHCI in the bios"... Well, if I could I would.

So yeah, let me know if the onboard sata now works with the latest Ubuntu. It'd be handy to have Linux on the shop computer.
                        Sounds like you have version 12 or older bios installed because version 14 (they didn't put out a 13) corrected this. In fact they are up to version 18, here is a link. http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download/bios/ip35//m630a18.zip

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline

Both optical drives are on SATA and they worked with no issues.
                          I've been booting the live CD from one of them.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235
                            yeah but UPDATING firefox ...
                            Which comes up around here maybe once a year....

I don't answer the phone just because it rings either....

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

or better yet, use google chrome, which when installed also adds the google repository, so when an update comes around, update manager will handle it.

and yes, chrome is now stable for linux.
                              sigpic

Comment

I don't like things that auto-up date.
                                Especially from someone that always wants to install some toolbar to track my activity.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

I don't like things that auto up-date either.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

huh? chrome never did that. i have gand no probelems. it's not like we are talking suck-ass IE here.

it isn't auto update, it reminds you, and you choose which ones you want and don't want, then hit install, and enter your password.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brethin
                                      Sounds like you have version 12 or older bios installed because version 14 (they didn't put out a 13) corrected this.[/URL]
                                      Nope. It has bios 18 on it. I have 2 other IP35 systems...an IP35 Pro and IP35 XE. The IP35-E is the only one that doesn't have a "SATA mode" option in the bios.

On the IP35-E system..It would boot from the Linux Live DVD and work. However, on telling it to install, it would say that no hard drives were detected.

Comment

On the IP35-E system..It would boot from the Linux Live DVD and work. However, on telling it to install, it would say that no hard drives were detected
                                        Boot the LiveCD and give me a mount, lspci as well as an lsmod output.

Comment

Working...
                                        X