Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMAC G5 17" iSight Boot issues

Hello peeps

I would like to hear your opinions on this matter , i have an IMAC G5 17" 1.9Ghz 512Mb isight , with what i tought was a defective hard disk , the issue? once powered you get the regular chime , then the grey screen and after that the white screen with the apple logo and an endless loop of the spinning wheel.

Thinking it was the hard drive (since it wouldnt take repairs/reinstalls) I replaced it with a WD 320GB , installation of leopard 10.5.1 was flawless , and the machine behaves well enough for what i suppose is little ram.

The problem comes when you let it sit for a while off (anything longer than 1/2 hour most of the times) , it turns on ok , chime sound , grey screen but then it just shows the apple logo with no spinning wheel , wich in my very limited experience with mac i understand is the OS not loading?

I inspected the PSU and it shows no swollen , ruputured caps , is it worth the while to check the MB too? would this be a hardware issue?

I appreciate your toughts on this matter , so it could help me decide a path of action!

Thanks in advance
    Aiki

Re: iMAC G5 17" iSight Boot issues

Maybe it's the RAM?
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Wow now thats a quick reply!

Well it just has the onboard ram (512 Mb) so no chance of swaping it to discard , all tests on the leopard show hardware ok , and the machine works perfectly when it boots wich is most of the time.

Comment

Definitely check all of the power supply and motherboard capacitors. Also make sure all the fans are cleaned out and nothing is blocking the vent(s)

Comment

^ yes that one too. these machines are known to be ovens. i had one earlier on... developed screen lines so i sold it, but boy did it run hot compared to my C2D imacs!
          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Fans look ok from the upside , would have to completely remove the board to check on caps and the full air duct system , but could a clogged fan produce such and error?

Btw I just have to just shut off and on the machine to get it to properly boot again , after being off for a while!

Comment

Working...
            X