RAM upgrade question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAM upgrade question

I decided to upgrade the RAM in my 24" C2D ALU iMac today. It uses DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM. Basically as you may know, I was given a Medion laptop that had 4GB of DDR2 RAM.

My iMac had 2GB originally. Since the Medion laptop has the dreaded nvidia 8xxx graphics issue, it's not of very good use to me so I stripped the 2x 2GB sticks it had and put it into the iMac (so I can upgrade to OSX Lion). All works well, no problems at all. But I did notice something...

My original RAM was 2GB DDR2 800MHz, my new 4GB DDR2 RAM total is 667MHz. Between 667MHz and 800MHz, is there a big performance margin? I'm not sure if it's wise to spend $60 just to get 800MHz RAM?
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: RAM upgrade question

Nope, no noticeable perfrmance different

Comment

Is it a performance improvement? 5-10% maybe, depending on applications. Worth the extra $60? Absolutely not.

Spend ~ 80$ on a SSD drive and you'll probably double the performance.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
        Is it a performance improvement? 5-10% maybe, depending on applications. Worth the extra $60? Absolutely not.

Spend ~ 80$ on a SSD drive and you'll probably double the performance.
        Okay, thanks! That's what I wanted to hear $60 to the Civic then :P
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
          is there a big performance margin?
          Can't really say as you didn't give the CL.
          667Mhz at CL5 is almost identical to 800Mhz at CL6.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Good question there. Is there any way to check the CL without having to disassemble my iMac again?

Oh and is there a Memtest 86 or equivalent for Mac?

Comment

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...w=1280&bih=839

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

I think this would be easier though.
                http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=7&gs...w=1280&bih=839

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Working...
                X